TX_CHL

Visiting New Jersey, Can I store pistol at hosts home

Howdy from Texas,

This summer my fiancee and I are visiting her family. I have a Texas CHL and can carry in every state I pass through and plan to. I read the laws on how to store my pistol while passing through New Jersey (locked away with no ammo) but didn't quickly find a layman's guide to owning one as a non-resident staying for a while.

Can I keep my pistol locked away and unloaded at her families house or should I rent a bank lock box in Pennsylvania?

Thank you,

TX_CHL

I know it sounds retarded, but possession of a handgun is illegal in New Jersey except when it falls under very specific conditions. You can have them in your home, in your place of business if you are the owner, to and from a range, to and from the place of purchase. I may have forgotten one or two (like to and from hunting?), but you get the idea.

There is a Federal law that protects you if you are just passing through, but you are out of luck if your plan is to stay here. I would do what you suggested, and stop somewhere BEFORE the Jersey border where your gun is still legal, and store it there.

Good luck, and try to enjoy your stay.

Short answer... I don't think so unless you own property here. I would assume that a hotel could be considered your property if you were staying there.

I think you may be able to bring a longarm here (hunters do all the time), but they may have an out of state FID card, but I could be wrong. I think the #1 goal of this state is revenue and there are plenty of people who want to hunt ducks, turkey and deer here in New Jersey. I think that is why the state hasn't restricted longarms the way they have restricted handguns.

But for the Long answer: watch this video and share it with your friends:

Else, leave the gun at home and enjoy our state. We've got great beaches and diners and you don't have to pump your own gas.

Howdy from Texas,

This summer my fiancee and I are visiting her family. I have a Texas CHL and can carry in every state I pass through and plan to. I read the laws on how to store my pistol while passing through New Jersey (locked away with no ammo) but didn't quickly find a layman's guide to owning one as a non-resident staying for a while.

Can I keep my pistol locked away and unloaded at her families house or should I rent a bank lock box in Pennsylvania?

Thank you,

TX_CHL

Renting a bank lock box (safety deposit box) in PA might be your best bet. The only question that needs to be answered. Is it OK to bring a unloaded gun into a bank into PA? And what is the proper way to carry a gun into a bank, in a locked box or concealed in PA? Check the laws and bank policies ahead of time.

This method will give you piece of mind and could save you thousands in legal costs. Whatever it costs for the box, it will be worth it. Good Luck and enjoy your trip.

Renting a bank lock box (safety deposit box) in PA might be your best bet. The only question that needs to be answered. Is it OK to bring a unloaded gun into a bank into PA? And what is the proper way to carry a gun into a bank, in a locked box or concealed in PA? Check the laws and bank policies ahead of time.

can you rent a bank lock box on a daily or weekly basis???

you must read the entire small print for safe deposit boxes at any bank.

do banks employ dogs to sniff out drugs, gun powder, bomb materials?

it's unlikely but you'll never know & when you know, you'll be in handcuffs.

The answer is: Don't bring your hand gun.

If you are on a lease of the property, you are considered in possession of it and can legally have a handgun there. You could then travel to a range or gunsmith with it.

If you're just staying at a friend's house, it's not legal for you to have a handgun there.

No, because they fall within one of the exceptions of transporting to a range.

edit, jon beat me to it.

That makes sense but then the competitor would have to leave the state immediately after the event. Aren't some of the USPSA matches over a couple of days?

To be honest, I don't even know why I asked this question. This state just blows.

That makes sense but then the competitor would have to leave the state immediately after the event. Aren't some of the USPSA matches over a couple of days?

To be honest, I don't even know why I asked this question. This state just blows.

Haha, +1

then I suppuse the other clause of ' necessary deviations ' would come into play, aka getting a hotel room or something and going back and forth to range and hotel, then back home.

This is a great question. Is a hotel an approved location? If yes, then why not a friend's house?

Rich

This is a great question. Is a hotel an approved location? If yes, then why not a friend's house?

Rich

Because the hotel room is being rented out , same like if one has an apartment and pays rent. Staying at a friend's house for free would not past the legalities, unless they are renting a room out for their stay. When one pays for a room or an apartment, it is considered a legal residence.

Rich

An argument could be made for a hotel room being a temporary residence because you are taking possession of the room and have certain rights associated with that. When you are staying at someone else's house, you are not taking possession of anything, and have no rights to the space they are letting you use.

Checking the laws in PA won't yield much because there are no laws about carrying a gun in a bank in PA. I've been carrying a loaded sidearm in banks in PA three to eight times a month over several years. Openly carrying during the nine months of the year that I don't need a coat, it might be covered with a coat sometimes during the 3 coldest months. Including the seedy parts of downtown Allentown, although only a few times back when they had the only change machine. A few of my friends do the same.

I don't check the policy of any place I carry in PA. Just the law.

An argument could be made for a hotel room being a temporary residence because you are taking possession of the room and have certain rights associated with that. When you are staying at someone else's house, you are not taking possession of anything, and have no rights to the space they are letting you use.

Maybe you should draw up a lease for the space you will be staying in your friend's home and pay him $1 in rent for the time you are there. At least that would make it your legal residence in NJ. I think you could also store it at a range like Shore Shot or Brick Armory for a reasonable fee.

Hey all, thank you very much for the replies and I'm glad to see I got a debate on a more interesting topic going. I thought the replies to my post would be e-mailed to me or I would have responded earlier. I guess I'll start looking around at places in PA or find a room to rent. I really appreciate the input.

why would you want to bring a pistol to NJ?

NJ is very very safe '-)

If you are really concerned about your safety in your vehicle, bring a rifle.

God I hope you're being facetious. I guess I could check the laws along the way for my converted Saiga.

Checking the laws in PA won't yield much because there are no laws about carrying a gun in a bank in PA. I've been carrying a loaded sidearm in banks in PA three to eight times a month over several years. Openly carrying during the nine months of the year that I don't need a coat, it might be covered with a coat sometimes during the 3 coldest months. Including the seedy parts of downtown Allentown, although only a few times back when they had the only change machine. A few of my friends do the same.

I don't check the policy of any place I carry in PA. Just the law.

America sounds so nice