Mr.G

OBRPC Indoor Range Question - Targets

Is this target allowed in the indoor range?

IMG_6438-467x700.jpg

The indoor rulebook says no shooting of cans, bottles, or makeshift targets. But this is professional/commercial target being sold instead of DIY.

(EDIT: Add: so I can staple at least 2 paper targets)

I would be inclined to say Yes, as it's similar to the standard target stands. Allowing for a broad interpretation of the rules and regulations manual, "makeshift" targets to me would be something that's not normally intended to be a target that I decided would be a good idea, previous issues included bowling balls, steel wheel rims etc. I don't think you'd have a problem with that, but I am but one man in an army of man.

Policy says one target per frame. I suppose so members do not destroy the target frames. With this I can staple three 3 11"x8" targets in a single frame.

Couldn't say, but why bother bringing your own stand to staple paper against, when they have about 20 stands there for you to utilize already.

The one target per frame policy also has to do with ( depending on distance to target and height ) hitting the floor or ceiling.

If you are shooting at the bottom target on your stand 7 yards away, and the backstop is 25 yards away, the angle of the bullet will probably ricochet off the floor.

I'm betting no, but come to the monthly meeting this Thursday night and ask. The big concern is that the bullets need to hit the backstop and not the walls, floor, or ceiling.

We are also having a HUGE problem with people shooting closer than 25 yards in the lanes along the walls. The new foam is being shot-up from people shooting at closer targets at an angle and the bullets are not hitting the backstop.

Take a look at the new ceiling and wall foam and you will see all the bullet holes in them.

I'm betting no, but come to the monthly meeting this Thursday night and ask. The big concern is that the bullets need to hit the backstop and not the walls, floor, or ceiling.

We are also having a HUGE problem with people shooting closer than 25 yards in the lanes along the walls. The new foam is being shot-up from people shooting at closer targets at an angle and the bullets are not hitting the backstop.

Take a look at the new ceiling and wall foam and you will see all the bullet holes in them.

Thats just ridiculous, can't believe people #1 don't know the rules, and #2 even if they didn't know, when they see what they are doing don't make the necessary adjustments.

ETA: Maybe the club should post signs on both outside lanes so people have another reminder that they can see, and hopefully they can read.. ;)

Harry, it is going to get done. Lines and other markers will be put on the floors, not sure exactly what the plan is, but Rich told me he is going to get the situation corrected.

I'd like to see two color schemes across the floor so we can have yard markers from the bench to the backstop and vice-versa. Most ranges have the lines marked from the bench out, but since we take the benches out for indoor competitions and start at the backstop and work our way out, we need another set of markers.

Gotta come-up with a way to get people to understand 25 yard target stands ONLY in the outside lanes. Maybe put some sort of signs in those lanes that only the large stands can be used on the back rail by the backstop, no free-standing target stands.

Maybe a sigh above the bench hanging below the bench light? I can see how people will unintentionally forget -- In a hurry, distracted with members or their guest, admiring another gun, etc..

Gotta come-up with a way to get people to understand 25 yard target stands ONLY in the outside lanes. Maybe put some sort of signs in those lanes that only the large stands can be used on the back rail by the backstop, no free-standing target stands.

It's one target per frame according to the Rules. The Cone of Fire doesn't allow for close-up targets at the edge of the frames being engaged while standing (low target position) and sitting or kneeling (high target position), since the rounds will impact the floor, walls or ceiling instead of the backstop. The fact that some here don't yet grasp the concept, is to me, very troubling. That's why I have begun to call "Them" "The Gang that couldn't Shoot Straight"!

It's not that hard to see why the Rules are there. If enough damage occurs due to incompetence, the Club MAY have to outlaw short-range target frames yet again.........

I've noticed that there is a rather small window for a properly placed target.

It's actually very easy to set up at the wrong height using a close up target stand but it's also very easy to see when it's wrong.

I've done it a few times and never had to fire a round to know it was wrong -- Really not a big deal, just walk out and reset your target height on the cardboard.

I'd really hate to see a "no close range target rule" -- I rarely shoot out at 25 yards and it would make my wife and sons miserable.

I've noticed that there is a rather small window for a properly placed target.

It's actually very easy to set up at the wrong height using a close up target stand but it's also very easy to see when it's wrong.

I've done it a few times and never had to fire a round to know it was wrong -- Really not a big deal, just walk out and reset your target height on the cardboard.

I'd really hate to see a "no close range target rule" -- I rarely shoot out at 25 yards and it would make my wife and sons miserable.

Obviously you're doing it the right way and "get it", so a big thanks for that! If you ever see someone that forgets about his/her cone of fire, please gently remind them before any damage is done.

The "trick" is to try to use a frame with a hole in the middle big enough to see through. Place the frame at your required distance and merely take the time to look through it to make sure you'll hit the backstop instead of the walls, floor or ceiling. THEN attach your paper target to the cardboard! Basically the height of the target is determined by the height of the shooter. All one has to do is draw an eye-level imaginary line in one's head that is parallel to the floor. A 4' Junior Shooter's target gets placed lower so that the rounds don't impact the ceiling and a 7' basketball player's target gets placed higher on the frame so that rounds don't impact and skid across the floor.

The "window" of acceptability diminishes the closer the target frames are to the shooter, due to the "Cone of Fire". Conversely it actually increases as the target frames are placed further away from the shooter and CLOSER to the backstop. Here's an example:

It's interesting to note that somehow 10 year old Juniors shooting .22 LR rifles at 50' seem to hit the backstop all of the time. Hell, as they progress in the program, they can get targets with 2 rounds touching making 1 hole! Some of the Juniors are engaging targets in 3 positions: Prone, Sitting, and Standing. Those special metal target frames (chained-up) are for their use. I suggest that all new members go and visit the Junior Shooter's League on a Thursday night to watch how good these young kids can shoot. Utilizing those 3-position target frames correctly forces the rounds into the backstop by keeping their barrels parallel with the floor no matter the actual height of the rifle. Once you see how they do it, it is forever ingrained into your mind to maintain a parallel relationship with the floor and ceiling.

In the near future the indoor range's target frame stands will be painted to match corresponding color-coded "lanes" to help prevent the new walls from being abused. This info was given to the membership at last Thursday's meeting. If you have any questions, please contact a member of the Board of Trustees or the Membership Committee.

My only answer to those that can't police their Cone of Fire is please use the outdoor range, and place all target frames AT THE BERMS prior to engaging them. If they can't do that, they probably will get caught by the cameras at the indoor range.

All members have the responsibility to say something if they see something, as it should be. A polite reminder about Cone of Fire is usually very well received, as no one goes to our ranges WANTING to do any damage. So say something if you catch a mistake. And please do it BEFORE the potential offender engages his/her target frame. Report any gross violations to a member of the Board of Trustees.

Thanks for being a concerned member!

Dave