vortex0178

Grinding down Bayonet Lug

How far do you have to go to be compliant? Referring to the pic below, is it fine just to grind down B to be flush with surface A? Or do I have to grind down both B and C to be flush with A? Or is even that not enough, and do I have to hack it off along line D instead?

Untitled-3.jpg

Probably better safe than sorry if you are already breaking out the dremel. I believe my Colt 6940 bay lug was sawed off to be flush with the leftmost border of line D. It does have some remnant below the D line.

"can you mount a bayonet"

yes - evil feature

no - not evil feature

the law is literal..

So, would it be possible to mount bayonet with just the ears - "B" ground off?

I have no idea how they mount having never handled a bayonet.

I have no idea how they mount having never handled a bayonet.

I cant answer that question as Ive never had the proper bayo in my hands. But I ground "B" and "C" down on mine just to be sure

I've never handled one either but I think you're right. I suppose grinding off only A would mean that the bayonet would still mount but couldn't lock in place, so it'd slide off after the first stab? Whereas taking off both B and C would mean the bayonet would slide off the lug by pulling straight downward?

@ Nickjc - PM inbound :)

I've never handled one either but I think you're right. I suppose grinding off only A would mean that the bayonet would still mount but couldn't lock in place, so it'd slide off after the first stab? Whereas taking off both B and C would mean the bayonet would slide off the lug by pulling straight downward?

@ Nickjc - PM inbound :)

Thats what I think would happen too, by getting rid of B & C the bayo would just fall off.

You can kinda see mine without B & C in this pic

post-2482-0-28221600-1339246865_thumb.jpg

@ Old School - If you have a set of calipers handy, can you measure the gap of the lug mounting groove (i.e. where surface A would slide in)? I've ground down B and C to be basically flush with A, but assurances that the bayo wouldn't lock in place would help :)

@ alowerlevel - That's the one!