KpdPipes

Remember how everyone says

"Never shoot reloads that you didnt make yourself"????? I should have listened, managed to blow up (Kinda-sorta) my PT-1911 Sunday at Brick Armory. SO Far it just appears to be my Grip panels which are the casualties (along with a couple of small frags in my cheek). Gun looks ok, im going to detail clean it and check the dimensions just to be sure, if I dont like how it looks I may send it to Taurus to have them check it to be safe. My own damned fault for not inspecting the ammo a little closer, and i didnt notice that there was a .38Sup+P in there..probably loaded up to Major class, and the case itself looked a little..."Lived in" had about a 1/4" by 1/16" strip peel loose from the side of the casing just above the extraction groove. Case was in my truck but i cant find the damned thing now. I'll get some photos up when i get a chance. On the Plus side my OWN .45 reloads, first batch from my Progressive press seemed to work pretty darn good so it wasnt a complete bust. Now of course i have to get new grips for my PT....not a bad thing as the REALLY Cheapo-plastic factory grips were teh suck.

Glad to hear you're ok. I can't help but wonder if it was also in part due to that its a non-ramped style barrel that Taurus uses on the PT1911. That was one thing that i disliked about my Taurus specifically even though i wasn't going to shoot a single round of 38 super out of it. Ramped barrels came about specifically because of the proliferation of higher pressure cartridges being adopted in the 1911, 38 super included. Maybe with more case support it wouldn't have let go like that. Good luck if you have to send it back!

Glad that you're O-K! I remember when my brother blew-up a .40 Glock with a double-charge. The thing EXPLODED and the mag was blown-out the bottom, and the gun was "twisted" from the slide warping itself out! He looked down at his hands and started counting fingers, that's how bad it was!

Good thing for those eyes we wear!

Looks good from this side

DSCF1351.jpg

This side..not so much

DSCF1348.jpg

Right side grip panel

DSCF1376.jpg

Left side Panel

DSCF1375.jpg

Both together

DSCF1373.jpg

The little black stuff is shattered plastic from the underside of the Left Panel

Damn, but with you and your profession I'd figure you would have drawn outlines around the pieces.. lol

Like I said, glad it wasn't worse..

Glad you're ok. Lesson learned the hard way unfortunately. Really hammers home that it can happen to any one of us.

Before the pics I was going to ask how you could possibly not notice loading a .38 Super into a .45 mag...then I realized it's chambered for .38 Super. :unknw:

How did the grips get damaged? Did the magazine get blown out? No other damage?

Nope magazine stayed in place, no other damage I can see, I'm going to give it a good scrubbing and take a really good look at it under magnification, but so far it looks like the grips are the only damage...and they REALLY are some crappy, flimsy plastic..