johngo1

Holster at the Range?

How many of you guys if any use a holster at the range and if so where? I go to Bullet Hole and RTSP and usually bring my handgun as well as my AR. I have not worn my holster but when I shoot the AR, it would be nice to have the hand gun at my side. Not to draw from, but so that it doesn't get in the way or fall. Most ports are fairly small.

Each range has its own rules regarding holsters. If you are concerned with your handgun getting in the way put it away.

If you are into tactical shoots were you go to your handgun when your long gun goes dry, malfunctions, or otherwise becomes worthless to you, you need to get a good tactical sling. This is so you can drop our long gun but still keep it with you. People have a lot of different preferences but I have been using the EZ sling from Slingsystems.

In Philadelphia at Firing Line and Philadelphia Archery and Gun, you can do any darn thing you want.

I think Range 14 Ft. Dix has a policy against it, but I've drawn from my Remora there and nobody seems to care - or maybe they just haven't noticed. They have been creating plenty of new rules there and I have a feeling that drawing from a holster would make them go absolutely apoplectic.

In Philadelphia at Firing Line and Philadelphia Archery and Gun, you can do any darn thing you want.

I think Range 14 Ft. Dix has a policy against it, but I've drawn from my Remora there and nobody seems to care - or maybe they just haven't noticed. They have been creating plenty of new rules there and I have a feeling that drawing from a holster would make them go absolutely apoplectic.

I was at Range 14 a few years ago, and back then there was a rule against it.

More than one range I know of either frowns on holster carry or outlaws it altogether. Most Noobs cross themselves, which at a Match is a DQ-able offense. One club I know of has a rule that you have to undergo some sort of training or exam to be allowed to carry. All of those clubs are a "Cold Range", meaning even if it's it a holster, it's unloaded (no Mag and hammer-down).

Certain folks should never even think about holstering a hand gun. and others take to it like a duck to water (even teenagers doing a Match). It all depends upon the level of expertise and whether or not the shooter was taught safety. Wearing an unloaded gun around the house is a good way to practice and get the "bugs" out without getting DQ'd, especially if you're one of "those" kind of shooters that buys new equipment over the internet (like a holster rig) and brings it to shoot a Match without having ever even consider wearing the thing!

I wear a holster in the pits at my range, but "cold." I'm not allowed to draw and fire until participating in 3 matches and getting a special user ID. I'm OK with that.

It's a lot easier to holster the gun after shooting so I can look and mark up my targets rather than having to walk back to the table to put the gun down and then go to the targets. It also gives me an opportunity to practice making the gun safe (showing clear, dropping the hammer) and holstering properly so that I won't get DQ'd when I start shooting matches.

At CJRPC, even after receiving the draw and fire badge, you have to have someone else with you to draw a loaded firearm.

As far as DQ'ing, in USPSA.

If you drop the gun you're done.

If when holstering or drawing, and facing downrange the muzzle of a loaded firearm points up range beyond a radius of 3 feet from the competitors feet, you're DQ'd.

A match DQ is not applicable for sweeping of the lower extremities (below the belt) while drawing or re-holstering of the handgun, provided the competitor's fingers are clearly outside the trigger guard.

At CJRPC, even after receiving the draw and fire badge, you have to have someone else with you to draw a loaded firearm.

As far as DQ'ing, in USPSA.

If you drop the gun you're done.

If when holstering or drawing, and facing downrange the muzzle of a loaded firearm points up range beyond a radius of 3 feet from the competitors feet, you're DQ'd.

A match DQ is not applicable for sweeping of the lower extremities (below the belt) while drawing or re-holstering of the handgun, provided the competitor's fingers are clearly outside the trigger guard.

Are you sure about the rule of havIng to have another person with you to draw and fire after you get your badge. I dont remeber reading that in the rules but could have missed it. Just wanted I know cause I am going to the bod meeting wenesday to get my badge

Are you sure about the rule of havIng to have another person with you to draw and fire after you get your badge. I dont remeber reading that in the rules but could have missed it. Just wanted I know cause I am going to the bod meeting wenesday to get my badge

This is what I was told when I went to the BOD meeting to get mine, let me know if you hear something different.

Got the draw and fire badge tonight was told cannot be alone. Has to be someone with you or even on the next pit as long as there is someone close enough to respond in case you shoot yourself

Then they should change the rules to reflect this.

DRAW and FIRE Use Badge

1. The draw and fire badge is intended for those that shoot and wish to practice for IPSIC, NRA Rapid Action, Steel Challenge or Cowboy Action and other events. The badge authorizes members to draw and fire a hand gun from a holster.
  2. This badge also authorizes the use of a rifle in the Pits but only with pistol size ammo loaded with lead bullets and a velocity of 1000 ft/sec. maximum.
  3. To obtain the badge the shooter must attend matches in the aforementioned programs, or combination there of, and supply copies of the 3 match results or obtain a sign off by the match directors.
  4. The copies must be presented to the BOD appointed representative between the hours of 7:00 PM and 8:00 PM on any regularly scheduled meeting of the Board.(2nd Wednesday of the month) at which time a badge will be provided.

I agree but i can see their point esp with the amount of new people coming into the club. They had to dq 3 people from static steel last weekend how the hell do you geta dq from static steeel for unsafe gun handeling. I dont think the rules have been updated for a few years so maybe its time

I agree but i can see their point esp with the amount of new people coming into the club. They had to dq 3 people from static steel last weekend how the hell do you geta dq from static steeel for unsafe gun handeling. I dont think the rules have been updated for a few years so maybe its time

Actually it's quite EASY! Say for a minute I'm a NEWBIE....All you have to do is read about "gun games" on a gun forum, get really interested, find-out where the Match is and bring a new gun that you're not familiar with to the Match. You need not even be a club member to join-in on the fun! Sweeping yourself while operating a brand-new sticky mag button or picking-up a dropped mag from the ground and YOU'RE OUT!

Owning guns is a RIGHT, yes, but there's no law that says that you need to actually know what the hell you're doing prior to showing-up to a Match. Back in "the old days" you had to know somebody who was active in the sport and be invited to attend. Said invitation would occur after your friend or "sponsor" shot enough with you to "check you out" and make sure that you're TRAINED to NOT do STUPID CRAP! Now, thanks to the internet and forums such as this, everyone comes-off as an expert just for "talking the talk" instead of "walking the walk". So naturally a higher percentage of untrained Newbies get DQ-d.

What all of the clubs need to do is to establish some sort of training program to weed-out the problem children before they hurt themselves or someone else! For example, at Old Bridege, if you want to shoot USPSA you're basically told to show-up for the Indoor-Action League on a Friday night so you can go through the hour or so long training class and then be live-fire field-tested to check for gun handling skills PRIOR to actually shooting the Match. I've seen several Newbies not make the cut and told to practice their gun handling more before they show-up to try again. STEEL needs to come-up with something similar, and the DQ's will go down........

Just my 2 cents, and I've been doing this gun thing for 40 some years......

Actually it's quite EASY! Say for a minute I'm a NEWBIE....All you have to do is read about "gun games" on a gun forum, get really interested, find-out where the Match is and bring a new gun that you're not familiar with to the Match. You need not even be a club member to join-in on the fun! Sweeping yourself while operating a brand-new sticky mag button or picking-up a dropped mag from the ground and YOU'RE OUT!

Owning guns is a RIGHT, yes, but there's no law that says that you need to actually know what the hell you're doing prior to showing-up to a Match. Back in "the old days" you had to know somebody who was active in the sport and be invited to attend. Said invitation would occur after your friend or "sponsor" shot enough with you to "check you out" and make sure that you're TRAINED to NOT do STUPID CRAP! Now, thanks to the internet and forums such as this, everyone comes-off as an expert just for "talking the talk" instead of "walking the walk". So naturally a higher percentage of untrained Newbies get DQ-d.

What all of the clubs need to do is to establish some sort of training program to weed-out the problem children before they hurt themselves or someone else! For example, at Old Bridege, if you want to shoot USPSA you're basically told to show-up for the Indoor-Action League on a Friday night so you can go through the hour or so long training class and then be live-fire field-tested to check for gun handling skills PRIOR to actually shooting the Match. I've seen several Newbies not make the cut and told to practice their gun handling more before they show-up to try again. STEEL needs to come-up with something similar, and the DQ's will go down........

Just my 2 cents, and I've been doing this gun thing for 40 some years......

I like your ideas they should start at the initial orientation cjrpc Has you shoot five shots at new member orientation even then I saw some peole that were a little shakeyayne instead of sitting there for an hour reading the rule book make people take safety briefing or shoot a fewest each under individual eye of a trainer

Mikey,

Initial Orientation, to my mind, is to determine whether or not someone can act right and be safe at a range while shooting by him or herself (and more than 5 shots down range), NOT to be instructed in the five W's of actually shooting a particular League. For that kind of instruction in both scoring and rules and safety, a separate hour+ long session is called for. Some folks "get it" right away, others can't follow simple range commands under the pressure of being in the "spotlight" and reacting to a timer. These folks are all nice people for the most part, they just need a little TLC to bring them "up to spec" since they rushed into competing in a gun game without enough practical experience. Not being "checked-out" by a mentor before being invited to play a gun game raises the chances of a DQ IMHO.

Both IDPA and USPSA make you sit through a "classroom" to go over the rules of the respective games. And THEN they make you prove yourself by demonstrating safe, simple gun handling techniques, reloading, and showing CLEAR to the Range Officer running the shooter. At some STEEL Matches, you have NO IDEA what skill level you're dealing with as a R-O, and some Newbies get DQ'd BEFORE they even load their guns, since they sometimes touch them or take them out of a bag or holster (without a R-O present, and NOT using a Safe Table) to show someone their gun.

At the League I'm the Discipline Chairman for ( PPC ), I make you observe at least two full Relays (about 1.5 hours, including the scoring) so you can watch and learn what everybody else does and how they handle, reload and shoot our COF. Then we ask them if they have any questions and remind them that we will instruct them on alloted times and round counts for each Stage. This helps to cut-down the number of DQ's to a bare minimum. Asking someone to show-up and register for a STEEL Match and then NOT SHOOT for 1.5 hours while just observing may not go over too well with youngsters "chomping at the bit" to pump lead! So some kind of prior class Ala USPSA is called for.......

I think having new shooters show-up to shoot is a good thing! But I also think that inviting anybody with a pulse to show-up and just shoot w/o some sort of "mentor check" is asking for trouble.

Dave

Bob's in Glassboro only allows LEOs to draw from holster.

At central jersey you are only allowed to do it in the pits and the gun has to ne cold until you get reeady to shoot it. No walking around the facility with a mag in the gun unless leo or concealed carry holder in nj

RTSP range rule #9:

9. Wearing or drawing from a holster is only permitted for law enforcement, military and RTSP approved civilians who have passed an

efficiency test with an RTSP representative/RSO.

They have recently announce that completion of their "simunition" course will satisfy their "efficiency test".