45Doll

NJSP Processing Delays - Anyone else?

On Wednesday it will be 14 weeks since we submitted P2P applications at the NJSP Sussex Station (Augusta). Tomorrow it will be 4 weeks since our permit checks cleared the banks. I am in touch with one other forum member who applied on the same date and he has not heard anything either.

Are there any other members who apply through other NJSP barracks experiencing the same delay, or not?

I know about the Compliancy thread, and I'll post my timeline when complete. But right now I'd like to determine if the holdup is at our local barracks, or the Firearms Unit in Trenton.

Since other members on the forum have gotten permits in 4 weeks or less here (in those few townships that process them quickly), and they go through the firearms unit in Trenton, I would have to think that the holdup is your barracks. That is just a semi-educated guess on my part though.

Chris & Sandy: did you apply through a NJSP barracks, or a local PD?

It is my clear understanding that local PDs do their own background checks, although they may request information from Trenton.

For the purposes of my question, I am only interested in wait times from members who apply for and receive permits from NJSP barracks. Their process should all be the same.

Last year it took almost 6 months for me to get my updated FID (address change) and 2 pistol permits... out of the Perryville, Hunterdon County, NJSP barracks... and then this year I applied for 6 pistol permits and it took only about 6 or 7 weeks until I got them back...HUGE difference in the time to get things processed! There was a different trooper in charge of firearms applications this year, and he seems to be much more responsive and engaged in getting things done... so that is why I think it was much quicker this time around. The trooper I dealt with last year, while he was a very nice guy, didn't seem like he really cared about the part of his job that had to do with processing peoples FID and pistol permit apps.

Since other members on the forum have gotten permits in 4 weeks or less here (in those few townships that process them quickly), and they go through the firearms unit in Trenton, I would have to think that the holdup is your barracks. That is just a semi-educated guess on my part though.

Chris,

I agree... it's probably the barracks he's going through and also the individual trooper that is processing his paperwork. Processing FID and PPP apps is not their full time job... so some of the troopers that are assigned to this "side duty" are better than others, and some just don't want to bother with it and just drag their feet. At least that is the experience I've had, where I had two totally different troopers handling my applications over the last couple of years through my local barracks.

They use this as an excuse... it's pure BS. I put in for permits in my town, and my friend put in for permits weeks before me in the neighboring town. I got mine in 30 days, he got his in 5 months... his PD kept telling him that the state is still processing the background check, we called the state firearms unit and they said it only takes a couple days to complete the check. Honestly, i would be ticked off if i was the unit performing the background check, these LEO's handling your paperwork are basically calling them incompetent and unable to perform the work they are given in an acceptable amount of time, when the fact is there just covering there own asses for one reason or another.

I have to say once again that I'm only interested in data for permits being processed through NJSP barracks, and NOT local PDs. I would like a comparison of apples to apples. My barracks to your barracks, if you use a NJSP barracks for your permits. At the end of the day the NJSP is a single organization.

My understanding is that all NJSP barracks serve only as conduits between the citizen and Trenton; all the permits are processed and issued (printed) by the Firearms Unit and returned through the barracks. I have also been told that the NJSP use an internal 'courier' service (read 'troopers in their cars') between Trenton and all the local barracks, and that this introduces additional delays.

If all this is true, then the total time is the sum of the local barracks work plus Trenton processing, printing and transit. When I called to check two weeks ago my local trooper told me they were 'inundated' with applications and processing, but of course he didn't elaborate whether the logjam was in the local barracks, in Trenton, or both.

If we all knew when every applicant who submitted to a NSJP barrracks got their permits back, then we would know where the logjam(s) was (were) and where to focus attention. If indeed that would do any good. It will not serve any constructive purpose to call and exhort my local troopers to action if in fact Trenton is getting NNN (pick a number) applications a day from all over the state and simply can't keep up. I think we all know they're not going to staff up to meet the 30 day statute requirement.

If there's not that many forum members who use local barracks, then I simply won't get enough data to draw a reliable conclusion. Those members struggling with their own local PD issues will not find any comfort in this thread. I'm sure all of us have been frustrated about this at one time or another.

My permits were returned to me in 13 weeks and my wife's took 16 (filed one day apart in March) out of the same barracks. Hers were signed 2 weeks after mine. Took a month to get the appt too though so you could almost add 4 more weeks. Calls to check were routinely met with hang ups. I talked to the Sgt tasked with the permits and he gave me the same story about how busy they are with them. I talked to one trooper at the desk though and he said that they were told not to even transfer calls to his desk on Fridays. Good luck getting through to him, keep trying and be polite and persistent.

My personal data is now complete.

April 4 - Applications submitted to NJSP Augusta Barracks.

June 12 - P2P checks clear the bank

July 11 - Permits approved and printed

July 16 - Permits delivered.

Fourteen weeks, 4 days from start to finish.

I'm at 14 weeks and counting. Two P2P from Washington NJSP Barracks.

Just to close the loop...

I got the phone call yesterday that my two permits are ready for pick-up. That's 147 days/21 weeks...5-1/4 months. That's just friggin' ridiculous.

When I pick-up these permits I'll also be submitting an application for 4 more permits. Given the unreasonable amount of time I'll have to wait, I might as well just have permits in the system.

When it comes to gun RIGHTS, New Jersery sucks. Thanks for defending the Constitution NJ.