Sandy

I mean...where was he going like that?

People that go to an indoor 25yd (23yd) range with an AR or other high powered rifle really annoy me.

Often there are people with AR's at RTSP and it doesn't bother me. Actually RTSP has S&W, Bushmaster, and STAG 5.56 AR's as part of their rental inventory.

Did you ever have anyone shoot an AR or 308 in the port right next to you? Even with the best ear protection, it damages your hearing.

25yd is a little close to sight in Irons on an AR. The preferred modern battlesight sight in distance is 50/200yd for irons and red dot. 5.56 crosses the same path at 50 and 200yds with 100yds being 2-3inches high.

I know some mentioned not enough or not affordable outdoor ranges, but come on, if you can afford an $1800 AR (dressed) you can afford a $200-$300 outdoor range.

Uncle Sam may disagree TM9-1005-319-10, the M16/M4 operator's manual

Since the manual outlines minimum zeroing at 25 METERS, diamond817 is technically correct. 25 meters =28 yards. BH is 23 yards. I personally subscribe to the notion that indoor short range shooting of high powered rifles and intermediate cartridges is not fun for anyone except the person punching the holes.

So, after trips to SS, BH and BA and standing next to guys shooting ARs in .308, I quickly decided it was for the birds and joined an outdoor range.

Maybe he was from somewhere or some range where walking around just anywhere with a rifle slung is okey dokey ?

for what its worth... in America no one really cares... I can walk all over my range with a loaded AR hanging from a sling.. inside.. outside.. in the bathroom.. and in speaking to the members there.. there has never been any serious accidents.. if the person on the gun is capable.. a loaded gun slung over the shoulder is hardly dangerous..

id rather have you safely carry your gun and know you are in control of it.. as opposed to just setting it down.. I am not a huge fan of leaving my guns unattended at a range for others to have access to without my permission..

Topton and Guthsville are 2 ranges in PA that cost under $100 a YEAR to join. This would be an alternative to joining the ranges in NJ.

I understand function checks, but shooting a rifle at 23 yards indoors is quite annoying.

for what its worth... in America no one really cares... I can walk all over my range with a loaded AR hanging from a sling.. inside.. outside.. in the bathroom.. and in speaking to the members there.. there has never been any serious accidents.. if the person on the gun is capable.. a loaded gun slung over the shoulder is hardly dangerous..

id rather have you safely carry your gun and know you are in control of it.. as opposed to just setting it down.. I am not a huge fan of leaving my guns unattended at a range for others to have access to without my permission..

He looked safe , and he genuinely looked perplexed over the reaction. Which is why I think he was not from around these parts :)

If someone were to stroll around here with an uncased long arm, police would be there in short order.As happened in the article I posted Regardless of the legality of it. It just is not something you see around here. I mean you could technically put a Guernsey in your yard and go out for your milk every morning , it just is not how people operate here. Personally I would rather see decent folk with shouldered rifles and have cows and chickens on my land..but it is the price you pay to be in and out of NYC in 20 minutes I suppose .

Kind of reminded me when my husband and I bought this house and it was his first time living someplace with a yard in the US. He went from Ireland where they had lots of land , to NYC . Then here. He cut down enough bushes in our new yard to make a mound that was about 4 feet high and 20 feet long. I told him I would call a removal company in the morning...he asked why..I asked him what he thought was going to happen to the felled bushes ..he was going to make small manageable piles and light them on fire and was quite shocked when he learned you were not allowed to burn in your own yard here in the burbs lol .

I'm pretty positive that he spends a lot of time outdoors, personal ranges, and outdoor ranges. We tend to get comfortable when we spend the majority of our time with firearms in our hands. When safety disciplines are a constant habit, we forget that others aren't as comfortable with their handleing of firearms. However I understand that observers wouldn't know if he understands the measures of safeties one must take - so I can understand the concern of any individual handling a firearm in any manner.

I spend more time myself learning the rules of others so they are comfortable, despite my own comfort levels and safety habits.

Just to give an example on range costs and how its really not bad to join a private/club range, take Shore shot and Central Jersey rifle pistol club since they are pretty close to each other. SS wants $225 for a membership obviously there are the wait times on weekends and you do have certain ammo restrictions if you want to use rifle. CJ has a one time $400 capital contribution fee, plus $250 a year membership, so your first year is 650,. However after first year you only have the 25 dollar difference from SS where you are restricted and the amenities are no where near what CJ offers. You can also, through attending meetings and doing work credits have the ability to knock 50 dollars a year off membership so CJ is only 200 dollars a year. Bottomline: some private ranges are cheaper then the public ranges in the long run if you plan to stick with shooting and do so frequently. The freedom I have of shooting my handguns 24/7 indoors, being allowed to shoot almost any caliber gun through out the different ranges and it being cheaper long term was why I went with CJ over any public range.