zoid

What would happen if you shot 357mag out of a 38spl?

This is just out of my curiosity. I wouldn't actually do it. But what would happen exactly?

Would the revolver explode? How many rounds would it take to damage the gun?

I actually heard that the small frame revolvers that are rated for 357mag can take on

quite a bit of wear and tear if you shoot a lot of 357mag out of them. They're meant

more for 38spl most of the time and 357mag some of the time. Is this true. So if that's

the case I wonder how quickly a 38spl would be destroyed using the 357mag.

You can't, by design. To address the safety issues of the powerful .357 ballistics pressures (compared to the .38), the casings are an 1/8 of an inch longer and can't fit in the .38 special cylinder. Should a person decide to hand load a magnum load into a .38 cartridge, the gun could possibly explode (or likely explode) and you could risk death or maiming to yourself and bystanders.

oh I was under the impression both rounds could fit into either gun just one was build stronger. ti didn't know the cylinders were different. That makes sense. Probably would get a lot more kabooms if not.

oh I was under the impression both rounds could fit into either gun just one was build stronger. ti didn't know the cylinders were different. That makes sense. Probably would get a lot more kabooms if not.

There is no problem shooting 38s out of a 357. But you can't shoot 357s out of a 38.

Like DirtyLarry said if you are foolish enough to load 38 brass with 357 loads you are asking for a trip to the hospital.

There is no problem shooting 38s out of a 357. But you can't shoot 357s out of a 38.

Like DirtyLarry said if you are foolish enough to load 38 brass with 357 loads you are asking for a trip to the hospital.

My guess is though you can use 38spl loads in a 357mag casing? I heard ppl hear who reload for 38/357 don't even

bother with 38spl brass. They just load their 357 brass lighter so they don't have to mess with their dies so often.

My guess is though you can use 38spl loads in a 357mag casing? I heard ppl hear who reload for 38/357 don't even

bother with 38spl brass. They just load their 357 brass lighter so they don't have to mess with their dies so often.

The one thing you don't want to do when reloading is guess. You can make light loads in .357 cases, but you shouldn't just take .38 spl loads (powder type and weight) and dump them in .357 cases. Just as too much powder can cause a KB, so can too little due to a phenomena known as detonation. To little can also lead to sqibs - not because the volume of powder doesn't have enough ooomph, but because when the cartridge is horizontal in the cylinder, the small amount of powder has enough room in the case to distribute itself away from the flash hole and you get poor or partial ignition, resulting in a squib. Always have a (or several) current load manual(s) and follow them.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

The one thing you don't want to do when reloading is guess. You can make light loads in .357 cases, but you shouldn't just take .38 spl loads (powder type and weight) and dump them in .357 cases. Just as too much powder can cause a KB, so can too little due to a phenomena known as detonation. To little can also lead to sqibs - not because the volume of powder doesn't have enough ooomph, but because when the cartridge is horizontal in the cylinder, the small amount of powder has enough room in the case to distribute itself away from the flash hole and you get poor or partial ignition, resulting in a squib. Always have a (or several) current load manual(s) and follow them.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Amen to that, my brother!!!

Short loads are as bad or more so than too heavy a load. All very bad, though.

You want a nice soft load, get some Trail Boss. Nice soft shooting stuff. Follow your manual for load data.

C

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Yes you guys all had explained that to me in a previous post when I was asking about how light is too light.

Eventually I want a revolver and will reload for it. I'd follow of course the appropriate data for whatever I'm

If you shoot .357 out of a .38 special revolver it will tear open a wormhole in the space time continuum. You'll be able to go back in time and kill Hitler.

Sign me up.

I find the "too little powder makes detonation" arguments fascinating because last I check it was all anecdotal. Can someone point me to a case where the phenomenon was proven under controlled circumstances? I don't mean someone saying "I load a light load X and I blew up" because that could also mean he dropped in 4xX of powder in the case. I don't mean "my loads were so light the last bullet was stuck in the barrel but I didn't know it", I mean a scientific effort under controlled circumstances with hand measured single charges in test barrels.

You'd think someone would have done that test and published the results by now if it was possible. Sadly a lot about handloading is still treated as black magic, even by ammo companies.

I find the "too little powder makes detonation" arguments fascinating because last I check it was all anecdotal. Can someone point me to a case where the phenomenon was proven under controlled circumstances? I don't mean someone saying "I load a light load X and I blew up" because that could also mean he dropped in 4xX of powder in the case. I don't mean "my loads were so light the last bullet was stuck in the barrel but I didn't know it", I mean a scientific effort under controlled circumstances with hand measured single charges in test barrels.

You'd think someone would have done that test and published the results by now if it was possible. Sadly a lot about handloading is still treated as black magic, even by ammo companies.

Vlad, I heard of Secondary Explosive Effect back in the 70s, about 40 years ago. I read it could happen with small doses of fast burning powder or reduced charges of slow burning (moreso ball) powder. While the first possibility could be dismissed to a double or triple charge I actually witnessed a case of the later seven years ago. It was not the powder, on the slow side of the middle range of burn rate for rifle powder. There is a stick powder right next to it in the burn rate chart which gives similar performance. I had supplied the powder to the guy from an 8 lb jug that I had loaded several hundred 30-06 (I still use that powder). We figured out later that the listed starting load was 48 grs, max was 52. No chace of a double charge as the max load would be a compressed charge. He loaded 44 grs. These were shot over a chrono the first round showing 2700 fps, short of what was expected the second round read 2400 fps. ??? The third rund muzzle blast knocked over the screen, had a tremendous recoil, and locked up the rifle. After hammering the bolt open the case showed every sign of overpressure. The charges had been weighed and the remainder showed the same 44 grs.

There was an article in one of the big magazines in the past year or two. The magazine that has a column written by a ballistician (Rifleshooter? Handloader?). He gave theories but also added they have not been able to duplicate it in a lab. He believes it is a real thing though and after personally witnessing it.

Google Secondary Explosive Effect (aka SEE) and you will find several theories.

What would happen if I shot a .45 ACP out of my .22 Rifle?

Thread should of been done after first reply, Cant happen, Wont fit.

Wrong analogy. Well there are 38 spl revolvers that will accept a 357. A well used Colt SAA in 38 may or a S&W 38-44. Both are large frame guns that were built before the 357 was thought of and the ridge which would stop a 357 from being chambered is not as well defined as there wasn't a need for it to be. The cylinder is also long enough. Can't say all these guns will chamber a 357 but many will.

Wrong analogy. Well there are 38 spl revolvers that will accept a 357. A well used Colt SAA in 38 may or a S&W 38-44. Both are large frame guns that were built before the 357 was thought of and the ridge which would stop a 357 from being chambered is not as well defined as there wasn't a need for it to be. The cylinder is also long enough. Can't say all these guns will chamber a 357 but many will.

Your right, I exagerated. I havent heard of a 38 only revolver accepting a 357 cartridge.

According to wikepidea, the .357 mag cartridge was introduced in 1934. While im sure there is a small percent of people that still shoot revolvers pre 1930's, I doubt that our average shooter today is going to run into that issue.

Dave, when people talk about revolvers you're the first person that pops-up in my mind. I'm sure if I ever meet Pizza Bob one day he'll be another.

Not too many people into revolvers, but seems like some are coming around.............. If S&W made a new run of the 610 I know a lot of people that would place their orders, including me, I'd like a 4" version too!

Dave, when people talk about revolvers you're the first person that pops-up in my mind. I'm sure if I ever meet Pizza Bob one day he'll be another.

Not too many people into revolvers, but seems like some are coming around.............. If S&W made a new run of the 610 I know a lot of people that would place their orders, including me, I'd like a 4" version too!

Send an email to the Custom Shop and suggest another run and state your reasons. They might just listen..........

When I think revolvers, I think of you, my son Andy, Jerry Mickulik, and Melissa (with her .357 8-shot doin' steel). And Bob too, lol! One of these days the three of us old guys ought to shoot together!

Yeah, yeah, now Alec has seen the light and is stepping-up in style with his newly acquired S&W 625. Putting the Ruger in the safe and better-yet, looking for another S&W, he knows what the good stuff is. ;)

Can't forget our favorite southpaw with the crazy hairdoo, Ray Ray! It's been awhile since he's been out with the 4" 686.

Nick needs to open that wallet and get a 610, they are around.

PS: Gotta thank the wife for getting me into revolvers, the addiction is her fault!

Nick, dig-deep in those pockets, open that wallet and let the moths fly, look under the couch, look under your car seats, take your kids allowance away, beg your wife, I found you what you need:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=298769059

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=300264745

Both indentical to mine, just do it! :)

*** clears throat ****

:)

O-K Alec,

You're also officially invited into the "In Crowd" of Wheelgunners, lol! Didn't mean to forget about you! Ray-Ray too!

One of these days I'm gonna get us all together outside for a B-27 Silhouette Shoot-Off with our Wheelguns! Everything from Up-Close & personal to way back 'yonder! One string timed and one string untimed (for the wusses that can't stand the PRESSURE, lol) and we'll each throw a ten spot in and the winner buys the pizza! (AND brewskis ifin we hang-up them shootin' irons)!

Dave