Twospot

Carrying in your home... With children

If you're in the Toms River area of the great crime spree that's going on, I'd do it without asking here!

But seriously, how old are the kids? 3-4 years old, or high schoolers? Can you teach the kids to shoot?

Carrying concealed is great, until friends invited over accidentally see the goodies and then report back to their parental units.

Either way, get lots of practice and training. Don't be guilty of being a deer in the head lights, if you know what I'm sayin........

My wife and I were talking about carrying concealed in the house and whether it's worth it with our children around. Just looking for opinions on the subject.

Try as I might,I can't seem to comprehend the need to CCW in your own home,Is the neighborhood and by default your property so insecure that you would feel the need to carry a weapon in the confines of your house?.

I mean no disrespect but just by asking for opinions, would mean to me, at least that perhaps your time would be better served researching a better area to raise your family. No?

In such time that it takes to do so consider the implications of what your children will undoubtedly experience and remember by you or your mate carrying...and they will regardless of how careful and canny you are.

No place is safe in an economy like this. A lot of the break ins in the jackson/toms river area have been daylight robberies so you really cant be too sure when or where something may happen. Carrying concealed is an option to take as another measure/layer of protection, however you might want to do a walk around your home and see what areas in your home are lacking proper "fortification" i.e. locking bar on a sliding glass door, ladders or items easily climbable locked and secured when not in use, alarm system, audible alert system etc. Make your home harder to penetrate from the get go and keep your firearm as a last resort.

That said, rather than carrying all the time, I prefer keeping a handgun on either end of the home (1st floor/2nd floor) so that if the need arises I can acquire it with minimal delay. This obviously will be refuted by some, but consider what options work best for you. For me making my home harder to breach in the first place is paramount, followed by what steps I could take as a last stand if my life or my family's are in danger.

Might want to take a look at the Trigger Time thread. Lots of chatter about ccw in the home. Just a thought. :)

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

No place is safe in an economy like this. A lot of the break ins in the jackson/toms river area have been daylight robberies so you really cant be too sure when or where something may happen. Carrying concealed is an option to take as another measure/layer of protection, however you might want to do a walk around your home and see what areas in your home are lacking proper "fortification" i.e. locking bar on a sliding glass door, ladders or items easily climbable locked and secured when not in use, alarm system, audible alert system etc. Make your home harder to penetrate from the get go and keep your firearm as a last resort.

That said, rather than carrying all the time, I prefer keeping a handgun on either end of the home (1st floor/2nd floor) so that if the need arises I can acquire it with minimal delay. This obviously will be refuted by some, but consider what options work best for you. For me making my home harder to breach in the first place is paramount, followed by what steps I could take as a last stand if my life or my family's are in danger.

I agree,my guns are loaded and strategically placed on various floors but to carry in my own home just seems to me to smack of paranoia or perhaps it's time to move.

I carry in my house almost daily. Everyone that comes here, is aware.

Find a huge stash of drugs in your yard, then a 2/3am scare..

Some people just don't have the option to move.. I know I don't and I sure won't let a "only if I had my pistol" scenario happen.

The area I live in is not a bad area however as someone said above the economy is causing some more criminal activity. I currently rent and can't make many mods to secure us more. By the beginning of next year we'll have our own place to do what we choose.

I am not sure children would influence my decision...perhaps only for concealed versus open carry. Kids = concealed for me.

If one feels the need to carry because of a possible threat then that threat exists whether or not there are kids.

I do not feel the need to carry in my home. Only did it once when we did an open house on our own with no realtor prequalifying homebuyers. We did not know these people...ran ad in paper and Craigslist.

I just received my FL CCW so i will start carrying tat home to get used to it as prior poster suggested.

My wife and I were talking about carrying concealed in the house and whether it's worth it with our children around. Just looking for opinions on the subject.

I'm a math guy. Carrying in your home makes you better prepared for a break in but also raises the probability of a gun accident in the home. Despite the economy, I don't believe criminals are looking for an encounter with a resident armed or not. Make sure your home looks like you're home to deter a break in.

Everybody has a line between prepared and paranoia. The anti-gun people think ALL of us are paranoid! I just feel like if it goes too far then I go from feeling well prepared to being a prisoner in my own home. To me, owning a gun means if something goes bump in the night I can feel safer & more prepared when I go to investigate. If NJ ever lets me carry, I will always do so, but i will never carry in my home. Sure, I am better prepared for a home invasion if it's on my belt but if that's what I need to feel safe then this is no longer "my castle". Part of feeling like this is my home is feeling like this is where I can take my gun off & still feel safe from the outside world and relax. I'm not saying something bad can't happen, I'm just saying that that's my line in the sand. I still feel like myself (and most everybody on here) are still better prepared than %90 of the general public if the s*** hits the fan, and that is enough for me to relax at night.

I agree,my guns are loaded and strategically placed on various floors but to carry in my own home just seems to me to smack of paranoia or perhaps it's time to move.

I'd imagine you do not have kids, or at least, young kids. If you did, would it not make MORE sense, to actually carry rather then have loaded firearms around?

Also, who is more paranoid? The one carrying a gun, or the one with loaded guns strategically placed? I'm not judging, I often do both. Just seems a bit odd you would do one while thinking someone who does the other is paranoid.

I'd imagine you do not have kids, or at least, young kids. If you did, would it not make MORE sense, to actually carry rather then have loaded firearms around?

Also, who is more paranoid? The one carrying a gun, or the one with loaded guns strategically placed? I'm not judging, I often do both. Just seems a bit odd you would do one while thinking someone who does the other is paranoid.

No I don't have kids and I have one gun on each floor as recommended by a LEO neighbor in order to have easy access.It's akin to having the baseball bat by the front door for some people. Prepared yes, paranoid no.To consider carrying while in my own abode is, as BD104X so succinctly put it is to become "a prisoner in my own home".You obviously don't see the difference between the two and that's okay. We all find our own comfort level.

I carry at home.... I also work from home at my real job when.I am.not part timing at the shop helping out....

My office is full of servers and gear that make noise ...I can't hear outside the confines of the room.....

Daylight penetrations of residences arenmore common.now than ever...I choose to.be.prepared...

I equate it.to.keeping the large fire.extinguisher in.the garage..the medium one by the woodstove and the smaller one in the kitchen....

Pray you never need it but have it.if.you do...

Yes I have children 17-15...girls... they were raises around guns...they don't fear them..they respect them....I made sure they knew what to.do around them.from a young.age...not because of.our.home.but.in.case of.more callous situations at other locations if.it.ever arose ...

Also.my duty as a parent and husband is to.protect and provide for.my family ..... WE refuse to be sheeple....

If you ask 100 people this, you'll likely get 20 different answers. My dad keeps his guns locked up and unloaded. I don't agree with him but he sleeps just fine at night. I have my 9mm in an old holster thats fastened under my night table loaded and ready to go, so it's hidden if I get broken into when I'm not home but I can retrieve it in a moment if needed, especially at night. We are planning kids, and when that happens I'll get a biometric single-gun safe for in between my bed & night stand. If you or anybody else feels more secure with it on, then you should do whatever makes you feel more comfortable in your own castle.

I am a huge proponent of carrying whenever you can, including at home. I do not expect that anyone is going to break into my home, but I am not naive enough to think that "it couldn't happen here" I also have the benefit of working in an " upscale" town and seeing how much violent crime still takes place. My feeling is that it costs me nothing in comfort or time to carry, so... why not?

CC, OC doesn't matter, regardless of the kids age. Get them used to gun, how to handle guns properly if mature enough, notice I didn't say old enough. Take the wonder out of firearms completely and set the ground rules and you and they will all be fine.

I am in favor of carrying concealed at home for a couple of reasons:

1) Considering we're in NJ and have limited ability to carry outside our home, I want to ensure that when I travel to a location that I can carry concealed that I am comfortable and it becomes 2nd nature. The last thing I want is to be constantly checking my shirt/holster/firearm because I am unused to carrying concealed.

2) A nice neighborhood is exactly the type of place that someone would look to invade as there is more chance of prescription medication, high value products, money etc. While statistically the chance is low, do you really want to be in a situation where you don't have the firearm when you really need it.

My main reason though is 1).

For children in the house I think it is better to CCW and ensure they become familiar and aware of firearms. They are more likely to respect them.

TheWombat