Steve_G

9mm AR - Started the build

Will this be a knockdown steel shooter to rival Jon's tokarev and mikes storm

Definitely for knockdown. Jon's doing a 9mm AR as well. I wanted to take the easy way out and just get a Storm but, I didn't like the way it felt. Guess I'm just too used to the AR platform.

This should be good. I have lots of questions.

What mags will she accept?

optics?

will it match your AR in regards to stock and sights?

The DD lower will accept Glock mags. http://www.shop.doublediamondsupply.com/AR15-Glock-Mag-Lower-Receiver-DDARGL.htm

Probably an Aimpoint PRO and Magpul MBUS to match my 5.56. (the .22 has a PA)

CTR stock, same as my 5.56 and .22.

MOE handguards , same as the .22. I may take the quad rail off the 5.56 and put a MOE on that as well.

I want them to look and feel so similar that I have to double check to make sure I'm grabbing the right one.

Steve, my upper is ready and on its way back to me as we speak. Once i get it back, lets meet up at the range and try em out! I'm curious to see what a blowback vs DI upper feels like. Even if you don't have your receiver in time, we might be able to swap your upper onto my DDLES lower and give that a whack. I say maybe because my buffer and gas system is actually tuned for my specific 9mm load.

BTW, RifleGear.com also resells the DD lowers, and they have them in stock which you cant say for the actual manufacturer! lol

http://www.riflegear.com/p-1647-double-diamond-ar-15-9mm-glock-magazine-lower-receiver.aspx

Do you have a transfer FFL? if not, i have someone i can refer you to.

Steve, my upper is ready and on its way back to me as we speak. Once i get it back, lets meet up at the range and try em out! I'm curious to see what a blowback vs DI upper feels like. Even if you don't have your receiver in time, we might be able to swap your upper onto my DDLES lower and give that a whack. I say maybe because my buffer and gas system is actually tuned for my specific 9mm load.

BTW, RifleGear.com also resells the DD lowers, and they have them in stock which you cant say for the actual manufacturer! lol

http://www.riflegear...r-receiver.aspx

Do you have a transfer FFL? if not, i have someone i can refer you to.

Sounds good, I'd like to compare the two systems too. Seems DD has some in stock right now as well. I just need to find a little extra cash to go ahead and place the order. Think this is the first time a lower is more expensive than the upper. For FFL's I usually use Ira or Vinny.

Sounds good, I'd like to compare the two systems too. Seems DD has some in stock right now as well. I just need to find a little extra cash to go ahead and place the order. Think this is the first time a lower is more expensive than the upper. For FFL's I usually use Ira or Vinny.

although i just remembered, you have to buy the special milled bolt for the glock lower so until you get that, you can't use the upper with the DDLES lower. Its such a minor clearance cut for the glock mags, its a shame it needs that. You can also ask them if they will also tune the ramp on the bolt so it doesn't beat up the stock hammer or need a special 9mm hammer since 9mm blowback bolts are somewhat brutal on hammers.

Just got off the phone with double diamond. Lower is in stock, bolts just came in and need to be machined. They said I should have both within 3 weeks. Should be good to go for September knockdown.

Has anyone had any experience with the kci korean glock mags? Or, should I just stick with Glock OEM?

Steve, i tried several different mags in mine. Glock brand G19 and G17 mags and KCI G19 mags. Both brands of g19 mags ran perfect as long as you dont load them fully to 15 rounds. The reason being is that the overall tension of the bullet column in the mag makes it too difficult to seat the mag on a closed bolt (I imagine this is an issue with glock pistols too). Downloading them just 1 round make them work great in my gun. The same issue existed with the 10 round glock 17 magazine except being only 10 rounds means downloading it makes it not a very attractive or desirable capacity option. All mags dropped free without any problem.

Steve, Update on my mag usage suggestion: SKIP the KCI mags. JUNK!

At the last match i was using a random mix of G19 mags and i would get all kinds of issues in a very random fashion. Well, it wasn't so random after all. After the match, we loaded up all the mags so some other guys could try it and found that even in slow fire, the KCI mags were the only ones to have issues. Something about them could cause binding on the bolt carrier such that it would slow and malfunction or even ejection failures. Furthermore, one of the KCI mags experienced a weird failure where the internal steel sleeve mush have busted its seam weld and caused the mag to "bloat" so much so that it wouldn't drop free or insert without undue force. These things aren't even fit for plinker duty. I think the next time im out at the range, i'll shoot AT them, not with them.

Be sure to get it out at teh range before the match and put an ishload downrange to test her out first. Hopefully yours general experience is more trouble free than mine! lol

Jon, I saw your scores from knockdown and figured you had some issues. I already got the KCI's. If they give me any trouble, I guess I'll have 6 targets. I'll hold off ordering the Glock mags until after testing these. Glad to hear you got your problem straightened out.

CX 4 Storm? The CX 4 is about 30 inches. My 9mm AR will be about 33 inches, If I went with a non threaded 16" barrel without the brake and pinned the stock in the fully collapsed position, it would be about 30 inches. AR pistols are pretty much a no go in jersey. If i ever get out of here, I would have to pick up a RRA LAR-PDS with a folding stock.

Hello -

Can you tell me of this upper and lower just snap together like in a regular AR? Is there any additional modification needed for the lower to use the glock mags?

Can you get a mid length handguard on there, I want to build one of these and I like the longer handguards.

Thanks

Hello -

Can you tell me of this upper and lower just snap together like in a regular AR? Is there any additional modification needed for the lower to use the glock mags?

The lower matches up with a standard AR upper, using the standard takedown and pivot pins. The lower is designed for the Glock mags by Double Diamond, they do all the modifications necessary. The only thing is, you have to use their bolt as it also has extra machining for the Glock mags.

Can you get a mid length handguard on there, I want to build one of these and I like the longer handguards.

This barrel is set up for a carbine handguard. Either find a barrel set up for mid length or, maybe use a .625 gas block and position it wherever you need it for the mid length handguards. There is no gas port drilled in the barrel or gas tube used since it is a blowback design. So I guess that would work.

Thanks