deadeye74

The happiness of those first rounds

Just wanted to say I loaded my first 5 rounds of 38 special today, test fired, and success! Never thought I would feel so satisfied from firing my own ammo! Now I'm going to go ahead and run 100 more through the press.

3g of Bullseye, PMC brass, and federal primers with Speer 158gr LSWC bullets.

I do have a question for you all regarding the crimp. How much "roll" do you put in? To me it looked like I went a little too far, but the rounds fired just fine.

What press? The Dillon only does taper crimps, which I prefer. It's the strong loads with slower powders that need a tight crimp. The bullet needs to be held in place for the pressure to build up. You will know you don't have enough crimp if you find unburnt powder flakes in your cylinder.

Fast powders like Bullseye don't need that tight crimp.

What press? The Dillon only does taper crimps, which I prefer. It's the strong loads with slower powders that need a tight crimp. The bullet needs to be held in place for the pressure to build up. You will know you don't have enough crimp if you find unburnt powder flakes in your cylinder.

Fast powders like Bullseye don't need that tight crimp.

Lee Classic Cast with Hornady titanium nitride dies. I'm gonna try backing the die off a hair when I run the next batch.

It's shockingly addicting. Maybe a little more so than shooting. For me at least. Very relaxing in a zen way to be downstairs for an hour blocking it all out.

Good on you. Good luck and keep it safe.

C

Congrats on your first safe rounds!

Now, keep them ALL that way

Typically, revolver rounds get a roll crimp (brass is rolled, towards under)

Semi auto rounds get a taper crimp (edge of brass stays flat, towards merging with the projectile)

The paperwork with the specific Lee seating die you're using should specify whether it's a roll or taper crimp.

And don't overlook the use of the great Lee Factory Crimp dies as a separate step, using the seating die to only seat the bullet, not crimp it.

Thanks everyone. The .38 loads have been going very well. I just started using the CJN casting LSWC and RN bullets and have noticed a significant improvement with accuracy and very little leading. Definitely a happy camper.

Next up is going to be .44 Mag. Got the supplies, just need to sit down and start loading!

Once you figure out that you can make better ammo than you can buy for cheaper than blazer ammo you will hit your peak of satisfaction with reloading!

I dont do pistol reloading but in riffle I can make my own 308 XM118LR ammo that shoots more accurately and cleaner than the lake city ammo.

Its a very rewarding hobby for me

Ken

Happiness of your first few rounds depends on how your first few rounds came out. Here were mine:

Reloading%2BFAIL.jpg

Glad you got it right!

It took 3-4 attempts to get it right. I actually seated and crimped the true first rounds in unprimed/empty cases. I wasn't counting them since they were "unloaded". ;)