jds560

Getting my FID, looking for my first handgun

I've considered taking the course, but I do have friends and some family that already own/are experienced with firearms of all sorts. My uncle regularly shoots at RTSP with a glock (not sure which model), and another one of my friends heads out to the ranges in PA monthly. While I'm sure I'd learn more taking the first steps course, and I'd get to shoot a few different handguns, I'm not sure if I should spend the $185 when I might be able to learn everything from someone I know instead. It's a tough decision.

My experience is that you're better of learning from a qualified instructor who you don't have a relationship with. The fact that someone goes shooting weekly/daily/monthly doesn't necessarily mean they'll be good at instructing you.

Just my 2 cents worth

TheWombat

I've taken several new shooters to the range and from personal experience its a bit difficult to try to reach the basic fundamentals of shooting to someone I know personally. I always recommend taking a class with a qualified instructor. after that you will have a much better time borrowing friends and family members guns at the range to figure out what fits. You will be able to put the rounds on target and really get a feel for what you are doing right and wrong. If you get the basic knowledge from a first steps course it'll be much easier on eveyone involved.

Just my .02

I've taken several new shooters to the range and from personal experience its a bit difficult to try to reach the basic fundamentals of shooting to someone I know personally. I always recommend taking a class with a qualified instructor. after that you will have a much better time borrowing friends and family members guns at the range to figure out what fits. You will be able to put the rounds on target and really get a feel for what you are doing right and wrong. If you get the basic knowledge from a first steps course it'll be much easier on everyone involved.

Just my .02

I agree. My soon to be girlfriend and I are going to take the course sometime this fall. I've been shooting since I was 11 and have been regularly shooting pistols since 2007. I can instruct, but I'd rather have a certified instructor teach her properly. Hopefully I can learn a few things as well while I'm there.

I'm going to see how money is over the next few weeks. If I don't take a course I doubt I'll ever hear the end of it, so I might as well haha!

At any rate I went today with all my paperwork and was out of there within 20 minutes with my Morphotrak form. Saw 6 or 7 familiar faces working in the precinct and they "expedited" my stuff, it pays to be friends with higher ups sometimes! Now I just have to get finger printed and play the waiting game (and take a NRA first steps course..) Back to the original topic, I really am leaning towards the dirt cheap S&W 915/5904/6904 for around $250+FFL It'll have me shooting with a reliable gun for several months before I make a big $500+ handgun purchase.

This might be another thread all in itself, but I feel like I should own a long gun too. I have a feeling this happens to everyone that owns firearms. Can I buy a long gun and a handgun in the same month? Do I have to wait? I'm looking at either a shotgun or a Sig 556 which is already Cali. ready.

Honestly - Pick up whatever gun you really want first. Don't pick up a "training gun" as it may cause you to develop bad habits if it has issues or works differently than the gun you want.

Agreed. Buy what you want as your first. learn it and then buy something else. You don't want to buy a revolver get used to it in training then move to an auto and be completely out of whack. You will then have to learn the basic fundamentals all over again. I would say stay with the hard stuff (autos with manual safety) because once you master that it only gets easier. That is of course if that is what you want to eventually end up with. If you like wheel guns and don't plan on getting an auto them buy something cheap to shoot for a first gun.

Also don't forget you haven't even handed in your paperwork... expect your permits to probably take about 2 MONTHS to get(prob longer since detective is never around)... so you will have time to save up some scratch.

I paid for a range time in Florida and the guy literally trained me on the spot and didn't leave my side for an hour... and he literally beat safety into my mind so much i follow it more strictly then my LEO friends!! An instructor is a teacher and can see a bad habbit and call you out on it right away and correct right away.... Remember you haven't even handed in your paperwork and the detective is never there... your gonna be waiting a LONG time (several months) for your permits.

You can find a used Glock, S&W M&P, or SA XD for about $400 if you look hard enough. Or, look for a SIG SP2022/250.

Since cost is a major consideration, I suggest you look into a 9mm Ruger p95. Sells for about $389 + fees. Comes with 2 - 15 round mags.

Good idea. The Ruger is a solid pistol.

One gun a month applies to handguns. You can guy as many long guns as you want every day. If you buy the handgun and long gun on same day, you will only have to pay NICS once.

Well I'm getting my prints taken next week. I like the way the P95 looks and I'd like to get my hands on it to see how it feels, anyone know of any ranges that have one?

As most of you have mentioned though, by the time I actually get my permit back I might be able to save enough $ to get a $600 gun. In that case I'd be debating more between the PX4, 92FS, PPQ or the SP-01 (steel). I kind of have small hands so maybe the P-01?

I think my plan of attack should be something like

NRA course

range a few times

permit / gun shopping.

I know I sound like I'm rambling, I'm just excited. There are far too many handguns out there, and buying my first one isn't an easy decision!

Taking the course now , then saving up a few more bucks while you wait ( and wait) for your permits sounds like a good plan :)

I ( and my husband) have a few guns in the 5 to 600 price range you could try if you want to meet up at the BH , if you take a class first lol . I'm not experienced enough to make sure your grip etc is right so I should not really be the one helping someone take their first shots.

If you go the Gun For Hire route and tell them what you may be interested in buying , odds are pretty high they will have it or something similar. Email them , communication is really easy with them :)

Well I took the class at Guns for Hire this weekend and it was really fun. I got to fire a Glock 19, a S&W 357 (not sure of the model) and Anthony(?) brought a target match EAA Witness 40 S&W that I got to fire as well! Very cool I loved the EAA so I'm guessing I'll love the CZ. Recoil was strong though, but I guess that has a lot to do with my inexperience and the fact that it's 40 S&W. The 357 in single action was a joy to shoot. I actually did like the way the Glock shot, just not the feel in my hand. It felt very very light. I had some very tight groups with all 3 firearms and the fellas working there seemed impressed.

I'll note one thing about the EAA, since I shoot left handed it was somewhat uncomfortable with the slide release and safety grouped so tightly. A decocker model or the P-07 polymer might be better for me, either that or I should try and shoot right handed. I accidentally flipped the safety twice while shooting just due to the location.

Glad you took the course! Very worth it , right? :)

Both my husband and I have CZ 75s with decocker , no safety Mine is a 9mm compact. It was used , under 500 bucks and is an awesome gun - got it from another member here. Let me know if you want to meet up with us at the BH sometime and you can try it. My husband's is a .40 full size SP01 tactical..but still pretty low on the recoil scale because it is a nice heavy gun.

I really have to reccomend renting whatever handgun you are interested in. My dad has a 3906 S&W and I hate the thing with a passion. It doesn't mean that the gun is terrible, it means that the S&W and I were not meant to be.

My cheapo handgun reccomendation is a S&W Model 10 (blued) or 64 (stainless), but I like revolvers. You really can't go wrong with one.

I'll note one thing about the EAA, since I shoot left handed it was somewhat uncomfortable with the slide release and safety grouped so tightly. A decocker model or the P-07 polymer might be better for me, either that or I should try and shoot right handed. I accidentally flipped the safety twice while shooting just due to the location.

The p95 is ambidextrous safety. Really feels good in the hand. The sig sp2022, also within the same price range, has no manual safety and the magazine release can be easily placed on either side using a small screwdriver. I have the sp2022, i'll let you know when I go to BH, you're welcome to shoot it.

Well I went yesterday to hand in all my paperwork and low and behold, the detective for the firearms division wasn't there. I'm in Newark, and we're only allowed to submit between 9-11 on Monday's. I called today and spoke to someone else in the firearms division and was told that the detective is always on call so it's almost impossible to know when he'll be in the office. Has anyone else had these issues in Newark? I'd really like to get my paperwork all taken care of. I'm going to assume it'll take me anywhere from 3-6 months to hear back after I submit everything because of how slow this city is...

How did it turn out? I submitted on the 8th right at his desk,

I'm still waiting to get a call back and my permit/ID. The only good thing about all this is that by the time I actually get my stuff, CZ-75's will be back in stock. I think I'm pretty set on a 75BD, P-01 or SP-01 Tactical with the decocker. If I never buy another gun, at least I'll have something reliable that's made of metal and I can pass down.

Then I'll play with the idea of the Walther PPQ or the Ruger SR9 when I save more money