Correct, and I would prefer it lock back on last round. For what ever it's worth all of my magazines are lock back on last round but a person could buy them without that feature.

I'm not worried about an occasional dry fire, and even if it did happen (as you suggest) there would be a spent round in the chamber that could absorb some of the action, right?.

Does Kimber recommend dry firing their practice kit? All I see on their website is that they say its safe to dry fire centerfire.

From Kimbers website....

Can I dry-fire my pistol?

It is safe to dry-fire our centerfire pistols

I believe (if the 522 operates like my Kimber kit) when you fire the last round that casing

will be extracted, the bolt will go forward, and it will be ready to fire again with nothing in

the chamber.

Where do you get the hold open mags? Are they a lot more expensive?

As for what Kimber says it is in the user manual that it is OK to dry fire the unit. I guess

they don't list it on the site though I've never checked.

You are correct. I didn't think it through. The last shell ejects when fired.

The gun came with one factory magazine and I got 4 others from Black dog. They are listed as 15 rounders but in actuality only hold 14 due to the lock back on last round feature.

http://blackdogmachi...d-magazine.aspx

If the user manual says it's OK to dry fire the Kimber then I would go with that.

I don't. Sig's website does not advise dry fire, and from what I'm told (forums & other owners) dry firing .22's is a bad idea.

Not sure how to answer the question on the trigger. It's pictured above. I never paid attention to the pull.

So what do you do to clear the rifle and the end of a stage?

RO always requests you to hammer down or dry fire.

Both M&P and Sigs are not supposed to be dry fired according to manufacture manual.

Ruger said yes.

Smith & Wesson no. http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_757815_-1_757814_757812_image#2

Kimber says only centerfire.

Beretta does not recommend it and recommends a snap cap. http://berettausa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/86/kw/dry%20fire

All of these links are inconclusive. On the S&W site it does not mention the 15-22, on the Beretta site it says "may". The instructions in my Kimber kit states you can.

This was an important feature to me, as I dont cringe if they do get dry fired.

So what do you do to clear the rifle and the end of a stage?

I've only used it once under the supervision of an R/O in a Steel Plate event. I told the R/O at each stage that it was a rim fire and I preferred not to dry fire. I activated safe, ejected the magazine, cleared the gun and manually held back the bolt to show the chamber clear. Then I locked it in place (open) with the hold button and crated the gun. All 5 or 6 R/O's were comfortable with the proceedure.

This was an important feature to me, as I dont cringe if they do get dry fired.

I just checked the Sig owners manual and it makes no reference to dry fire at all. While at it I checked the manual for my practice kit for my Beretta 92FS as well as the manual for the 92 itself. No reference whatsoever to dry fire.

All of these links are inconclusive. On the S&W site it does not mention the 15-22,

I just glanced over the owners manual for the 15/22 and only notice reference to "never dry fire while unassembled." Pg 21 of the manual.

I don't know if that means you're ok to dry fire while its assumbled. I didn't notice any reference in the FAQ to rimfire rifles...just pistols as provided above.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/other/S&W_M&P_1522_Manual_08-30-2010.pdf

Yes, because when unassembled there is nothing for the hammer to hit, except parts its not supposed to hit!

All my 22lr have been dry fired tens upon tens of times, perhaps even low on the 100's, and never a problem. I am not advocating this, but I try to buy things that I dont have to baby, or take extra special care else it breaks.

That's funny I was told the opposite about the selectivity of ammo.. Most of M&P owner I asked said that it cycled any kind of ammo.

Were as the 522 owner said that it was a little finicky of ammo selection..

I am probably going to buy the sig anyway.. I can't wait!

The owners manual with the M&P tells you which ammo to use and which to stay away from. I pretty much use CCI and Bulk Federal and have given away all my Remington.

So I decide to go with the M&P 15-22 and so far shot 250 round without a hiccup.

Fun shooting rifle, it will take some getting used to switching over from a 10/22..

I'm still considering the 522 Sig later on for my Christmas present!!

Just got the sig 522 swat last week or so and man do I love it.. The front sight is really high even with the rear at its highest point still shoots just below. But I'm loving it. I also own the gsg522 which is just ok. Idk y but I never fell in love with it. But still chose these 2 over the mp-22 cause i didnt like the way it felt. Now I would just love to get the big brother in 556

Hmmmm, just picked up a gsg522 yesterday for my kids for Christmas. After seeing it in person, I was thinking "they are going to have to fight me for a chance to shoot it" LOL. j/k.

Now, with what you guys are saying about the Sig I think I just may have to add one of these to my growing collection. What do the Sig 522's retail for?

Hmmmm, just picked up a gsg522 yesterday for my kids for Christmas. After seeing it in person, I was thinking "they are going to have to fight me for a chance to shoot it" LOL. j/k.

Now, with what you guys are saying about the Sig I think I just may have to add one of these to my growing collection. What do the Sig 522's retail for?

There seems to be a big spread. A few months ago I got mine for 500, but have seen them for as much as 725.

Cheyenne mountain had 3 on Saturday $620 for new Swat version $600 for used Swat. They had the classic but couldn't see the price tag. They are overpriced in Nj. Wallyworld in PA sells the Nj compliant for around $475. I'll be looking for that after Xmas sale.