Just in time for my birthday, I finally got my new toy.

Just picked up my new SA M1A Socom II from Joe at Mastodon...

Bakery donuts, coffee, camaraderie and fun chatter while waiting for UPS...

Had a great day. Big thanks to Joe....

Despite all the questionable attributes presented here by folks with earlier commentary, all has been put to rest by John over at Springfield Armory. Spoke to him prior to purchase. Nice guy...

I have nothing to worry about.

- Some of the concerns earlier about weight. Not a problem. Feels like a toy to me. Want to reduce weight, remove the lower rail guard in seconds. Total additional weight with the whole vltor rig is barely 1.5lbs.

- Non standard gas system/parts. Not a problem. Their references to the retuned gas tube was nothing more than a slightly bigger hole drilled into the barrel for the port.

Parts: I was informed that all parts are interchangeable with other variants. Including, but not limited to the Socom 16, 14 or otherwise.

- Informed about ammo. Was told by John, good up to 180 grain, but no magnum or heavy exotic shells. If reloading hold to those standards. Otherwise Federal Match 168 grain, etc is a fine round.

When all else fails, lifetime warranty to the original owner.

I gotta say, I'm stoked. I haven't bought a new gun in many years and this is one fine one at that. Can't wait to hit the range. In the mean time, once I am done drooling over it, it will get a good cleaning and lube.

Also:

I added a new Aimpoint Pro and Pro Grip Bipod onto it. Gotta do some tweaking and remove the spacer from the Aim... Sucker sits high. No cheek weld there... :)

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple... ;)

About ~ $1884 all together. It is currently on sale at Kentucky Gun. This puppy is sold out most places. When I ordered, they had 3 left. I made sure I called to confirm too. Free shipping, but I paid for insurance, a 3% credit card fee, transfer to NJ, NICS and everything. All for the above price. Price obviously doesn't include bipod and Aimpoint... You cant touch just the rifle anywhere else I looked for that price that said they had it in stock. On an average, anywhere else, it was over $2G by time you were done. Average price anywhere else just for the rifle is about $1865...

Congrats, like it a lot.

If you don't mind sharing, what type of price range would i be looking at?

You lucky SOB!!! Ive been wanting a 308 rifle for my collection and the M1A is at the top of my list. Would need to eat nothing but ramen noodles for a few months to afford it though. lol

Nice I have the socom16 camo green, all that weight and rail on the two looked tacky plus I want the vltor stock and all that railing doesn't work with it congrats on what most people call the "rich mans rifle!"

I'm glad you got the rifle you wanted and that the SOCOM II "shortcomings" were overblown. Let me know if you are interested in trying a side by side comparison with my Scout Squad. I shoot at Central Jersey rifle.

I thought about it a few times. Again, all that weight people refer to is ~1.5 lbs. not enough to worry about if you got the frame to handle it. I thought about tacky looks, but you know what? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, yadda yadda.. Hehe. I got to say. The pictures, photos, etc., do the gun no justice. This bastard looks mean.

Not sure about the function of the stock you want as far as working together. The system on there is vltor and the bottom piece does come off easy peasy. I tried to do a price up using the 16 and adding vltor to it, vltor stuff ain't cheap. It would cost me more to build up a scout or 16 to come close to it as is. So even if I decide to take off the vltor stuff, at least I have vltor parts that would cost a bundle separately. Could always part them out and make some bux. One thing that bugs me is the factory sights are virtually useless with the top rail system. They really don't peak off the top well enough. I would have thought SA Would compensate somehow with that. Seems from what I can tell, others put 3rd party iron sites on of sort like the magpuls or something.

Nice I have the socom16 camo green, all that weight and rail on the two looked tacky plus I want the vltor stock and all that railing doesn't work with it congrats on what most people call the "rich mans rifle!"

Thanks... I really had no fear that SA would let us down. They have too much history to let some bad press ruin them. If here were any short falls, they must have addressed them riky tik... As long as they make good with their products, I'd refer them and go to battle any day with their toys. ;) I've seen videos good and bad. But like anything else, in most cases, these bananas that give the bad press just look at you and shrug. They never say what rounds they use, grain or anything. SA says exclusively that reloads void warranty. Some twit under powers a round, it fouls, then right away the gun sux. Can't please everyone and when i comes to opinions, well you know the old adage. I wouldn't care if there were a dozen bad reviews.... Not when this company sold hundreds or thousands of weapons through out history. Now maybe if here were hundreds of bad reviews... Well.

As far as a side by side. Would like that someday...

We shall see...

I'm glad you got the rifle you wanted and that the SOCOM II "shortcomings" were overblown. Let me know if you are interested in trying a side by side comparison with my Scout Squad. I shoot at Central Jersey rifle.

Do like I do... Sell some toys. Not necessarily your guns... But I bet there are tons of things laying around you don't need anymore. Ebay can be a great asset... I've been selling off old and new parts and stuff for years. Def takes the edge off new toys.

Now I got to start planning on my birthday present for next year. ;)

You lucky SOB!!! Ive been wanting a 308 rifle for my collection and the M1A is at the top of my list. Would need to eat nothing but ramen noodles for a few months to afford it though. lol

Hey John,

This Springfield Armory that makes M1As and 1911s is totally unrelated to the Springfield Armory from American history that supplied our fighting men. I'm not knocking SA (I have owned and currently own their products) but thwy are cashing in on a famous name.

Maybe so, but the design has not strayed, yes/no? I'd like to believe they wouldn't smudge the good name.

Hey John,

This Springfield Armory that makes M1As and 1911s is totally unrelated to the Springfield Armory from American history that supplied our fighting men. I'm not knocking S (I have owned and currently own their products) but thwy are cashing in on a famous name.

All I can say is I want dibs on Lunker's Scout Squad when it goes up for sale.

good up to 180 grain, but no magnum or heavy exotic shells. If reloading hold to those standards. Otherwise Federal Match 168 grain, etc is a fine round.

Keep reloads in the range of 50,000 PSI - 55,000 PSI (7.62x51 NATO pressures) where the M1A's gas system operates best. Your SOCOM will thank you for it. Commercial .308 Win. ammo has a SAAMI/ANSI maximum pressure of 62,000 PSI.

Good to know. Thanks... I don't reload yet. We shall see for the future.

Keep reloads in the range of 50,000 PSI - 55,000 PSI (7.62x51 NATO pressures) where the M1A's gas system operates best. Your SOCOM will thank you for it. Commercial .308 Win. ammo has a SAAMI/ANSI maximum pressure of 62,000 PSI.

Very nice. I know when I reload for my Garands, the operating rod really performs a lot better when I use the right pressure curve in powder types (4895 / Varget) and loads. Just scaling back a few grains, really makes a difference in accuracy and wear and tear. Then again these are 60+ year old rifles.

Was wondering what kind of distance you can get out of the Scout Squad. Was thinking about purchasing one for the range and out of state hunting.

Was wondering what kind of distance you can get out of the Scout Squad. Was thinking about purchasing one for the range and out of state hunting.

I use the general purpose range at Central Jersey and hang a 24" steel target on the berm at 240 yards. I can pretty consistently ring steel with the iron sights on the rifle if I shoot prone or off a bag. I can only imagine it being better with some optics on it.

I use the general purpose range at Central Jersey and hang a 24" steel target on the berm at 240 yards. I can pretty consistently ring steel with the iron sights on the rifle if I shoot prone or off a bag. I can only imagine it being better with some optics on it.

Nice! I was wondering about adding optics. I see that it has a short rail forward of the receiver. I'm guessing a scope with a 6" or bigger eye relief would be in order.

Some of the research I've been doing shows the a happy round for the socom is 150gr.... I have mostly 168gr... Guess I'll have to invest in some 150gr to see....

Very nice. I know when I reload for my Garands, the operating rod really performs a lot better when I use the right pressure curve in powder types (4895 / Varget) and loads. Just scaling back a few grains, really makes a difference in accuracy and wear and tear. Then again these are 60+ year old rifles.

Nice! I was wondering about adding optics. I see that it has a short rail forward of the receiver. I'm guessing a scope with a 6" or bigger eye relief would be in order.

I use mine with just the iron sights, but I have tried with a 2 moa red dot too and it works great. I have yet to see a good co-witness solution for it though. It may exist, I am just unaware of it.

Some of the research I've been doing shows the a happy round for the socom is 150gr.... I have mostly 168gr... Guess I'll have to invest in some 150gr to see....

I shoot surplus though my M1A. I feel like just about all milsurp 7.62 is less than 168 grains. I would have to check, but I believe all of mine is in the 140-155 grain range.

Thanks.... How you doing....? :)

Well hey , now that is a nice new toy! Congrats !

Typos courtesy Apple...

Well then.... You either are a female, because it's a guy thing... or you just need some ointment... ;)

I dont know, just me, but referring to a new firearm as a "toy" just rubs me the wrong way.

Typos courtesy Apple...

OK, I have been installing some additions to the new "toy" today and while I had my gun locker open, I decided to do a little weight test. I know that the SOCOM II is a heavy gun from what folks tell me, (doesn't affect me though, 1.2 lbs is nada compared to the other M1A variants), and I decided to set my Bushmaster up as close as I could to match my new "toy"...

Both had a 15 round mag loaded, a bipod, scope, etc...

Just figured it my be interesting to someone:

Includes loaded mags.

Bushmaster: 10.2 lbs

SOCOM II: 12.8 lbs

Diff: 2.6 lbs

Loaded 15 Rounds Mags:.

308 = 1.2 lbs (metal mag)

223 = .6 lbs (plastic magpul)