Eastwood

Shortening my stock/changing buffer tube....

I have a stag 2TL with a Magpul ACS. I had to do some modding to make it fixed. I drilled and tapped the buffer tube to bring the stock in a little bit to shorten up the gun overall. My problem now is that I want to make it as short as possible but I'v reached the limit on the long buffer tube that the gun came with. The only thing I can think to do to get the desired length I want it to buy a six position buffer tube since there overall length is shorter, fill in the all the adjuster holes and tap the one hole I'll need to pin the stock into place. Has anyone else tried this? I need to know what kind of buffer tube to buy. I know I need a commercial one, but I'm unsure if I'll need another spring or buffer.

Your limit is not the length of your buffer, but the length of the stock itself. When in the fully closed position does not the stock go all the way to the castle nut? I must not understand your issue.

I believe its 10inches. So I guess its rifle length? If the stock is collapsed all the way, the buffer tube will stick out of the back of the stock, hence, I need a shorter tube.

I have encountered make believe (NJ compliant) A2 length buffer tubes keyed to accept M4 style stocks and drilled and tapped to fix the stock to the tube.

Eastwood if you contact me I can set you up.

PK, a CAR buffer? ?How can I tell? The tube that is on the rifle is the stock one that was on it when stag sent it to me. Its a post ban AR if that helps. I was thinking I could just buy a carbine buffer tube kit with the buffer and spring and mod it myself. I want the stock right up against the rifle. To do that would have to be custom as far as I can see, unless there is a ready made tube out there for this. I thought about cutting off the back of the tube and that would work except then some kind of backing would have to be welded back onto the rear of the tube so the spring can have something to rest on.

Ok you guys are not understanding what im trying to say here. My AR has a 10in long buffer tube, a rifle style i believe. On that buffer tube is a magpul stock which is fixed to the tube. now, I have pushed the stock as far forward as possible and pinned it in place. if stock is pushed any further up the buffer tube, then the rear of the buffer tube sticks out of the back of the stock. follow me? this is why i need a shorter buffer tube. with a, say, 7 inch tube, i could push the stock all the way forward, pin it in place and the buffer tube will not stick out of the back of the stock. i just wanted to know if i buy a buffer tube kit which has the tube, spring and buffer, will i be ok with just that or do i need a certain spring or buffer or something like that. just wondering if anyone else had done this before. its nothing complicated, to hard to explain i guess. i basically just need to push the stock forward and the buffer tube thats on it now will allow for this.

I have seen 3 different systems. Some Post-Ban rifles that come with fake collapsible M4 stocks come with either a CAR (carbine) length receiver extension (tube as you refer to it) with a CAR buffer and CAR spring, OR, they come with a modified full length receiver extension that has the interior blocked down to accept a CAR buffer and CAR spring, OR, an unmodified full length receiver extension with a standard buffer (longer than CAR) and a standard spring (also longer than CAR). The last is rare.

I did not realize that you want the stock all the way in. I find that an odd position, but maybe you are odd :maninlove:

I asked if your buffer was the CAR length, because you will not need a new buffer or spring. Just get the CAR receiver extension and use the parts you have now. You may have enough meat on the full length extension to cut, but if not, you only wasted this piece, which is the piece you will need anyway.

If your buffer happens to be the standard size, you will need a CAR buffer and CAR spring, and do as above.

Ok you guys are not understanding what im trying to say here. My AR has a 10in long buffer tube, a rifle style i believe. On that buffer tube is a magpul stock which is fixed to the tube. now, I have pushed the stock as far forward as possible and pinned it in place. if stock is pushed any further up the buffer tube, then the rear of the buffer tube sticks out of the back of the stock. follow me? this is why i need a shorter buffer tube. with a, say, 7 inch tube, i could push the stock all the way forward, pin it in place and the buffer tube will not stick out of the back of the stock. i just wanted to know if i buy a buffer tube kit which has the tube, spring and buffer, will i be ok with just that or do i need a certain spring or buffer or something like that. just wondering if anyone else had done this before. its nothing complicated, to hard to explain i guess. i basically just need to push the stock forward and the buffer tube thats on it now will allow for this.

youre not following what i said. ill make it as clear as i can:

if you have ANY kind of collapsible stock, you NEED a compact tube/spring/buffer

a rifle length buffer tube is NOT compatible with ANY kind of true collapsible stock (im not talking imitation collapsible stocks that are really fixed to begin with)

in short......you have the wrong buffer tube/spring/buffer.

BUY THIS: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/complete-6-position-mil-spec-buffer-tube-assembly.html

if you cant find a full kit in stock, take note of each individual piece, and buy them separately

youre not following what i said. ill make it as clear as i can:

if you have ANY kind of collapsible stock, you NEED a compact tube/spring/buffer

a rifle length buffer tube is NOT compatible with ANY kind of true collapsible stock (im not talking imitation collapsible stocks that are really fixed to begin with)

in short......you have the wrong buffer tube/spring/buffer.

BUY THIS: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/complete-6-position-mil-spec-buffer-tube-assembly.html

if you cant find a full kit in stock, take note of each individual piece, and buy them separately

Uh no, you only might be right. Without pics we can't tell. But post ban rifles often shipped with a rifle length buffer tube shaped like a carbine tube with a normal carbine stock. It was done that way to be non collapsible.

The op has been clear as mud and nobody knows if he has that a normal rifle extension on there and is wondering why his new stock won't fit, or what.

A picture would be worth a bunch of posts on this one.