Hello, All:

I recently purchased a handgun in the state of Delaware. However, due to a recent layoff, I am being forced to move back to New Jersey (where I grew up).

I went to the range recently and was told I couldn't purchase ammo without a FID Card. After inquiring further, I was told that the town where I am returning to is an especially "anti-gun" town and it would take a minimum of 6 mos for it to be issued, if approved.

Is there any loophole to this? I've viewed some previous posts regarding the purchase of ammo in the state of PA does not require an FID Card. These posts were a little dated though; perhaps going back at least two years. Is this still true?

I am choosing not to Voluntarily register it because I don't want to become a "target," pardon the pun and would like to stay off the grid for as long as possible. However, I don't want to do anything illegal either.

Also, with regard to the application, it seems redundant of the Form 4473 with the exception of two questions. One of them is "Name of Employer." Being that I was just laid off, do you think it would have any bearing on the approval decision?

Sorry, I know it's a lot of questions, but any insight you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Being unemployed has NO bearing on issuance of FID. When I applied for mine, I didn't even have my first job yet and got it in about 6 weeks.

For the 6 months issuance thing. Best advice I can give you is wait 5 weeks, and call and politely ask about the status of your FID. Call again at 8 weeks, and if nothing see if the mayor will get involved if not contact the NJ2AS and see what they have to say on the matter.

For HG ammo in PA, I can't really answer that. But I'd imagine if you get far enough away from the border of PA and NJ they won't ask for your FID.

Just buy it in PA,

It is illegal to receive handgun ammunition in NJ if you do not have a firearms purchaser ID. This means that while a comany in a different state will ship you ammo, it is illegal for you to receive it here in NJ. If you purchase ammo legally in a different state and drive it home, it is legal for you to have in NJ. This is Assumiing the ammo itself is NJ legal. No armor piercing, etc.

Being unemployed has NO bearing on issuance of FID. When I applied for mine, I didn't even have my first job yet and got it in about 6 weeks.

For the 6 months issuance thing. Best advice I can give you is wait 5 weeks, and call and politely ask about the status of your FID. Call again at 8 weeks, and if nothing see if the mayor will get involved if not contact the NJ2AS and see what they have to say on the matter.

For HG ammo in PA, I can't really answer that. But I'd imagine if you get far enough away from the border of PA and NJ they won't ask for your FID.

Don't just contact the NJ2AS, join the NJ2AS. welcome to the forum

You need not register your handgun as that is voluntary. As long as the handgun in question was legally purchased there is no need to register it. Please check to make sure it is legal to own in NJ as well. Most handguns are, but certain features make a handgun an "assault weapon" in NJ. http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/29389-nj-law-summary-read-first-nj-gun-law-faqs/ Read that. Any questions please ask. I would recommend acquiring a Firearms ID Card. You can then legally have ammunition shipped to your home, which is more convenient and normally less expensive than purchasing it in a store.

I will also suggest that during the actuall move to not have in your posession any hp bullets. It seems that there is a gap/loophole in the NJ laws that allow you to possess them such as when going to/from the range, have at home or purchasing them at the retail shop. However hp's are not exempted (ok to have) when moving from one home to another. There was a good discussion here recently about it. Now if there is some other angle to it about moving from out of state into NJ I am not that hip in all the specific laws, maybe someone alse knows but keep in mind NJ is a hostile state about guns so get used to a lot of f'd up non-sensical laws and statutes.

I will also suggest that during the actuall move to not have in your posession any hp bullets. It seems that there is a gap/loophole in the NJ laws that allow you to possess them such as when going to/from the range, have at home or purchasing them at the retail shop. However hp's are not exempted (ok to have) when moving from one home to another. There was a good discussion here recently about it. Now if there is some other angle to it about moving from out of state into NJ I am not that hip in all the specific laws, maybe someone alse knows but keep in mind NJ is a hostile state about guns so get used to a lot of f'd up non-sensical laws and statutes.

Just mail them to your self at your new address.....problem solved.