Sign in to follow this  
ClangClang

Glock 19 (3rd Gen) issue - any ideas?

I have a 3rd gen Glock 19 that is having some FTF issues. It is leaving a good primer strike, but no bang. It happens on usually 1-2 rounds out of every mag. I run the same rounds through the glock again and still no bang. I then run the rounds through another 9mm gun I have and they all go bang.

The gun only has maybe 1500-2000 rounds through it. Any ideas?

I was thinking that maybe you got to much oil in the firing pin channel, and it got gummed up. But if you are getting good primer strikes that probably isn't the cause. Did you call Glock?

Correct, (in this case) FTF = fail to fire. Haven't called glock yet. First step is see if there's anything I can do to remedy the issue before spending $40 on shipping, being without my gun for 2-3 weeks, etc.

I searched and found a post discussing cleaning the firing pin channel with some tips, links to videos, etc. I'll give that a shot and then hit the range tomorrow. I'll update with the results. Thanks!

Look online on how-to remove the firing pin assembly. Be careful to reinstall identically as u took it out. Clean the channel out with a 22 bore brush, hops and a few qtips. While I had it apart I would also soak thwarted firing pin assembly in some hops and hit that with a good brushing also. If you feel so inclined you can scrub ur extractor at this point. Or you can bring your slide to your local gun shop that has a ultrasonic cleaner. And let them strip it down and clean. Its upto u. If your still having an issue after this I would contact glock u may have a faulty firing pin assembly. Good luck

If you're up near Cherry Ridge, bring the pistol to Mastodon and I can take care of it up there.

I'll make sure you get it back quick or wait for it.

DON'T screw up the firing pin channel bushing or you're in trouble.

You can PM me.

Frank

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice and guidance. I gave the FP channel a thorough cleaning today and then took it down to the range. Went through a good 15 mags without a single misfire.

The channel was pretty cruddy - it took about 4 q-tips (8 tips total) to get it clean. I guess that's what happens after 2K rounds. Lesson learned.

Thanks again!

You are making sure to not spray solvents/oil into or near the firing pin channel during regular cleaning correct? When doing a quick cleaning of the slide I make sure to spray cleaner directly onto a patch to clean out the extractor area instead of applying it directly to anywhere near the firing pin channel.

You are making sure to not spray solvents/oil into or near the firing pin channel during regular cleaning correct? When doing a quick cleaning of the slide I make sure to spray cleaner directly onto a patch to clean out the extractor area instead of applying it directly to anywhere near the firing pin channel.

Yup, I know to keep it clean/dry. It was just really gunked up with carbon deposits and other grime after 2K rounds, some of it cheap crappy ammo.