Kaiser7

So when should a 20 year old apply for a PPP?

Well, I'm 20, turning 21 in February, and I'm thinking I'd like to get a handgun for myself once I am of-age. Now, I think I already know the answer to this, but I suppose I cannot turn in the paperwork for a PPP before I'm of age, and, due to the amount of time it takes to get them back, just apply, turn 21 while waiting for the paperwork, and then get a handgun when I turn 21, correct?

Also, I was leaning towards a FN Five-seveN, or, perhaps, some sort of revolver. I hate glocks, so if anyone has any other recommendations on a good handgun, let me know.

You've waited this long. Just hang tough and Feb will be here before you know it.

Not to be a shill for Ruger, but I tend to gravitate for now towards more affordable guns that are built like tanks. As far as polymer frame semis, I have a Ruger p95 that cost me $350 NIB at Heritage Guild that I'm very happy with. I couldn't justify spending top dollar on the FN or the Px4 because they all felt equal in the hand. 92fs is really a stellar gun though and you can't go wrong...but you'll pay.

I also picked up a used Ruger Security Six for around $300 that is spotless (+10000000, dajonga....That for for Bri@n). Nice shooter and it was made in 1978. The world is open to you. :-) enjoy.

All the more reason to buy another rifle until you turn 21!

Feeling good with rifles at the moment. Well, actually, that's BS, I would love to get a Winchester 94, a Mini-14 (or mini-30), PRI-91 (or w/e the NJ legal civilian G3 is), Or an actual German Mauser, or... well, yeah, you guys get the idea.

Actually, if I buy anything before the pistol, It'll likely be a shotgun. I was trying to get one, but I didn't end up having enough time before school started to pick up what I wanted.

Actually, in all honesty, I'll probably be waiting a lot longer to get a pistol, since I always forget that nagging little fact that I'm a broke college student! XD

I turned in my 1st pistol permit application on my 21st birthday, then I went to the bar. The next morning, my home phone rang. Hung over, I answered to hear the Chief of police on the other end -- "Come on down to headquarters" he said "your permit is ready". I sobered up fast -- by the end of that day I owned a colt 1911 -- Still my favorite handgun -- That was 22 years ago - Times sure have changed

Nah, if I were to get an automatic, I think I'd lean more towards 5.7mm, otherwise I might go with a .45

How does the the FN fit your hand.......and by the way i m sure you realize that you ll need a second,third job to pay for the 5.7 ammo......the coolness of 5.7 quickly dissapears when the CC bill comes in.

Nah, if I were to get an automatic, I think I'd lean more towards 5.7mm, otherwise I might go with a .45

I saw your post higher up where you said you were a poor college student, so I'll go ahead and say that even though you might like 5.7, 9mm will be scores more cost effective and allow you to shoot more. Might want to give it a look before you decide. :)

Good 5.7x28 is ungodly expensive man. I'm talking like 2-3 dollars per shot in some cases.

My vote is for an Auto Ordinance 1911. My buddy got one last year, and it just melted right into my hand. Felt stupid natural to hold, a million times better than Glock (imo).

Good 5.7x28 is ungodly expensive man. I'm talking like 2-3 dollars per shot in some cases.

My vote is for an Auto Ordinance 1911. My buddy got one last year, and it just melted right into my hand. Felt stupid natural to hold, a million times better than Glock (imo).

Nothing wrong with a Glock grip I prefer the high angled weird hold

5.7 runs about .40-.44 a round not on sale. A little pricier than .45 but it is more of an uncommon round so as to be expected. Id love to get the od version to distract your eyes a little from how ugly it is

As is the usual, I'm weird as hell with my preference in guns. I'm not a big fan of polymer guns, except the 5-7 which I absolutely adore. I suppose I shouldn't judge glock before I use one, but the grip looks uncomfortable to me. 1911 is up there for me, but I know I'm going to get a revolver at some point anyway, and I imagine they're relatively easy to maintain.

You could submit the application 30 days before your 21st b-day, given they never meet their statutory obligation to approve within 30 days you should be good. If they deny you the appeal will most likely be a shorter process then simply applying after you turn 21.

Back in the day. I waited till the week I turned 21 then went to PD, got the forms, filled it out, submitted it, waited approx 3 months at that time IIRC, then got the "permmission to purchase" slips back, got two slips.

Never bought anything, was just curious. Both slips sat unused, then I tore them up a couple months later.