n4p226r

Somerset Idpa October 21

Anyone going? I'll be there. It will be my first match. Totally new. Anything I should expect?

Biggest question. What do I need to wear? Some sort of cover garment? Or just a long t's hurt that can cover the holster?

I plan on bringing

Sig p226r 9mm

Ammo (200rds?? Should I bring more?)

Kydex Holster

Kydex Dual mag holster

Good belt

Eyes & ears

Extra magazines.

Few questions

Loading when give the order. You have 10 per magazine. Do you just put 11 in the first magazine? Or are you only allowed 10? Not quite sure how that works

Swapping mags. Always behind cover. If the gun is empty and locked back you can dump the mag to the floor. If not you have to retain the mag. Do I have that right?

Finger off trigger until on target. Keep gun pointed down range when moving. What else am I missing.

Since you're a new shooter, you won't need a cover garment. You'll only need that after you're classified.

Shouldn't need more than 150 rounds unless you like dumping extra rounds downrange - I generally don't use more than 100 rounds.

If you're started loaded and holstered to division capacity (I assume you're shooting SSP), you can have 11 in the first mag, which means you'll have 10 in the mag and 1 in the pipe.

If your mag is empty you can dump the mag. If you still have bullets in the mag, it's called "reload with retention" - you gotta stow the mag with bullets in it.

If your mag is empty you can dump the mag.

Only if the gun is empty also. Dumping an empty mag while there is still a round in the chamber is a procedural.

If it is an alloy frame P226, then you shoot in SSP. If it is a steel (stainless steel) frame, it does not make weight for SSP so you have to shoot ESP.

Make sure you arrive early enough for the new shooter orientation. Have fun - see you there.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Honestly they're not going to check weights... but unless you have a P226ST (Which he indicated he doesn't), he's fine.

Not to nitpick (but you know me) "P226R" is a generic designation that could be any P226 with a rail. Also there are other steel models beside the ST (and actually IIRC the correct model designation was P226SL), like the Elites - Stainless and Black (which was a black finished SS). Most people strive to be honest, I was just giving him the info so he could make the right choice.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

.357SIG is fine for IDPA but iffy for SCFGPA. They don't allow magnum cartridges indoors and, while .357SIG is not mentioned specifically, they have a catch-all for any cartridge exceeding 500 ft-lbs. That's a threshold that most .357SIG loadings can surpass.

I believe someone was asked to leave from the August match for using .357SIG but I wasn't there.

I believe someone was asked to leave from the August match for using .357SIG but I wasn't there.

Dave - he was shooting a 10 mm Glock with full-house loads. He was nice about it - and he could shoot it.

wsaraceni - You could use a magnet, but from your pic it appears to be a regular P226R - alloy frame / stainless monolithic slide.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I was there for the Match with the guy with the 10mm (Chris) and I know him well. We all joked that he likes recoil since he left his .50 BMG Barrett at home.......

Tom runs a nice Match. You will have loads of fun! The .357 Sig WILL bring attention to itself, unless it's custom-loaded down (and used with the correct recoil spring for said loading). Best to NOT bring it to a club's indoor range. This way you avoid the hassle of being asked to stop shooting......

Dave

Ok. I'll be shooting the 9mm. A friend only has a 357 sig as that is his issue gun. Any issue with him using my gun or is it best for everyone to use their own stuff. I have enough magazines that we wouldn't need to share. Just have to go to the safe table and let him holster my pistol as we both have p226s. This will probably be future matches as he is on the wait list now. He may have another gun. I'm not sure he has holsters for it.