RecessedFilter

Any solar installers here?

So I recently interviewed at a solar panel company a couple weeks ago, it went very well and I nailed it, I ended up getting offered the job! I am really excited to start and be a part of their team.

I will say I have worked masonry part time for the past couple years, construction on and off, and I worked in NYC this summer for a maintenance department, I like working with my hands and getting them dirty so this is nothing new to me. I don't have any solar panel experience but I do have some minor electrical experience which is a big part of the job.

I start on Monday and I would appreciate any suggestions or advice about what to expect, possibly any tools I should look into getting, and anything else that should be on my mind. I know they said footwear is very important, you want a shoe with good traction since I'll be working residential (mostly roofs). Any suggestions? They suggested I look into low-cut sport hiking sneakers (like Merrell/North Face type), I have a nice pair of Vasque high-top hiking boots I use for backpacking but am unsure whether to use those, they are bulky and heavy and don't seem like they will work well.

Thanks!

I wouldn't worry to much about tools yet, your probably going to be the one humping everything up the ladder. :lol:

Encouraging word lol. Get goto boots and comfortable gloves. Bring a good lunch and plenty of goodies to share with your new friends

Hahaha I might be the FNG but it is what it is! Nothing new to me.

All the tools are supplied by the company. I was just debating whether to bring my own, or at least some basic ones, as most of us prefer to use 'our own'.

I'm still trying to figure out shoes for this. I have really wanted a pair of Bates or Converse military boots and I think this will give me a good reason to get them, some of them have very aggressive tread and I can get multiple uses out of them. The only thing is they are more boot-type, bulky and heavy, versus a light hiking shoe.

For roof work: light weight hikers or sneaks. You want sticky feet.

The make special over shoes but I wouldn't worry about that.

Jus a heads up. I carry 2 sets of boots when I do dormer or cupola or any kind of roof work. Muddy or wet from dewey grass boots will send you to a hospital

I used to install solar panels at my last electric company the worst part about it was moving the heavy ass cinderblocks to hold down the panels on a cold ass snowy frozen roof otherwise cake walk! On another note it's a total different license then electrical good luck.

For roof work: light weight hikers or sneaks. You want sticky feet.

The make special over shoes but I wouldn't worry about that.

Jus a heads up. I carry 2 sets of boots when I do dormer or cupola or any kind of roof work. Muddy or wet from dewey grass boots will send you to a hospital

I would second this. Bring a pair of sneakers for sure. I also have a pair of "cross trainers" (brown sneakers), Heavier work boots will mark the shingles on a residential roof in warmer weather.

Hmm definitely some things here that I didn't think about.

When you say you always had two sets of boots with you, Zeke, do you mean one pair only for roof work and one pair for traveling/ground level work?

So far I am looking at a few mid/low-cut Merrel/Columbia/Keen sport hikers. As I search online, I am looking at tread pattern more than anything as well as reviews.

I will end up getting a pair of light hikers definitely, and possibly a mid-height combat boo as well. Some of them look to have very aggressive tread. When I work masonry, I have seen numerous workers (roofers, contractors, siding) wearing combat boots. Plus, as stated earlier, I've always wanted a pair of them.

Personally I would wait until you are there a week to see what you are going to need exactly. The first day you will figure out what some of the other guys wear and you will have time to get yourself situated and equipped. Worst thing is to buy a tool (shoes or boots in this case) that end up sitting because "someone on the interwebs told me they're great" and they may be, just not for what you happen to be doing.

Personally I would wait until you are there a week to see what you are going to need exactly. The first day you will figure out what some of the other guys wear and you will have time to get yourself situated and equipped. Worst thing is to buy a tool (shoes or boots in this case) that end up sitting because "someone on the interwebs told me they're great" and they may be, just not for what you happen to be doing.

I ended up getting a pair of Merrell's at Cabela's yesterday. I have to go back anyway in the next couple weeks so I thought if they aren't what I need, I can return them no problem.

But I completely agree, and as of right now I plan on wearing my usual hiking boots for now and talking with the guys to find out what I should need. That way I don't go out and spend all this money on stuff I don't need or something different.

Unless you find the converse boots on a super sale, I wouldn't buy them. I have found them to be very poor regarding tread durability, and I'm not walking on abrasive shingles.

Really? I have read a couple websites of reviews on them and people speak good of them...with all reviews you must take them for what they are worth but when a boot like that has 5 stars on multiple websites, I thought they would be a good boot.

I might just wait until Christmas and ask my gf to get me a pair of lower-priced Danners or Bates. I know they make top notch combat boots and I would rather get them versus a cheap pair that's going to fall apart.

I second converse being cheap boots. And while I'm at it add bates to the list. Not a fan of either for hard uses. They'll suit a "foreman" well but not a grunt. As for light hikers, merrel was a damn good pickup. On my second pair of the chameleon 4 stretch and can't speak any more highly of them.

I ended up getting a pair of Merrell's at Cabela's yesterday. I have to go back anyway in the next couple weeks so I thought if they aren't what I need, I can return them no problem.

But I completely agree, and as of right now I plan on wearing my usual hiking boots for now and talking with the guys to find out what I should need. That way I don't go out and spend all this money on stuff I don't need or something different.

Really? I have read a couple websites of reviews on them and people speak good of them...with all reviews you must take them for what they are worth but when a boot like that has 5 stars on multiple websites, I thought they would be a good boot.

Think about when most reviews are written. It's shortly after purchase. They are comfy and fit well, but they are ugly and trashed after 6-8 months.