ruger9

Flash Suppressor on semi-auto rifle: Legal or not? (I'm getting mixed answers)

Why the condescension? From someone in... PENNSYLVANIA????? It's no secret the NJ laws are purposefully confusing...

what does my place of residence have to do with anything... I have spent a great deal of time on this site HELPING people understand the confusing laws...

and no condescension I just HATE to see anyone support an FFL that does not take the time to be educated in his craft...

here I sit in PA helping YOU a NJ resident understand the gun laws that your NJ licensed FFL explained to you incorrectly..

do you recognize the irony there? that is extremely frustrating.. NOT because of you.. but because of the person who fails to research his craft.. and spreads FALSE information..

Do you also understand that, the way the law is written, you could have a VERY BAD TIME of it, with the "substantially identical" clause, depending on what side of the bed the cop or judge got up on that morning? Right or wrong, no one wants to be dealing with that crap. Just like stated earlier in this thread, Christie commuted Aitken's sentence because he was "right", but he's still a convicted felon with no voting or 2nd amendment rights.

If youre LIVING HERE, it's not as easy to be cavalier with this stuff.

Altho, after reading all the responses in this thread, I will give my local FFL the chance to "call his guy in trenton", because he's 5 minutes from my house, and I would like to develop a relationship with him, but otherwise will have no problem calling East Brunswick Sports to get the gun transferred.

Do you also understand that, the way the law is written, you could have a VERY BAD TIME of it, with the "substantially identical" clause, depending on what side of the bed the cop or judge got up on that morning? Right or wrong, no one wants to be dealing with that crap. Just like stated earlier in this thread, Christie commuted Aitken's sentence because he was "right", but he's still a convicted felon with no voting or 2nd amendment rights.

If youre LIVING HERE, it's not as easy to be cavalier with this stuff.

Altho, after reading all the responses in this thread, I will give my local FFL the chance to "call his guy in trenton", because he's 5 minutes from my house, and I would like to develop a relationship with him, but otherwise will have no problem calling East Brunswick Sports to get the gun transferred.

no... substantially identical is black and white as each key point is numbered

a flash hider OR a threaded barrel capable of accepting a flash hider

in one statement...

i lived in NJ for years.... spoke to numerous LEO.. numerous FFLs... and the state police firearms division on numerous occasions..

I did not just randomly make things up...

Aitken was a CRIMINAL.. I have no idea why people keep brining him up.. he BROKE the LAW.. he had hi cap mags..

the wording sets forth conditions that must be met..

A semi-automatic rifle (condition 1 it MUST be semi auto) that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine (condition 2 it MUST have a detachable magazine) and has at least two of the following: (condition 3 it MUST have TWO of the included listed features (1-5))

1) A folding or telescoping stock;

OR

2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

OR

3) A bayonet mount;

OR

4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor;

OR

5) A grenade launcher

the condition of flash suppressor OR threaded barrel is to meet conditions for both guns with permanent and non permanent muzzle devices.. the end goal being to disallow flash hiders.. OR a condition in which a flash hider can be readily mounted...

as per (4) on that list..

a permanently affixed flash hider is an evil feature

OR

a threaded barrel which may accept a flash hider

I do not need a guy in Trenton to tell me that... I already know the answer by reading the law...

as for the fear mongering about the overzealous cop... please find one instance where someone was arrested for a flash hider... I AGREE with following the LAW as it is written.. but the reality is even if you had a legal brake on there you stand just as much chance having to argue that your muzzle device does not reduce flash per ATF classification of a flash reducing device...

probably because you make the choice not to be educated on the law... you have have almost a thousand posts on a NJ based gun sight... and have a thread literally a handful of threads above this pinned for all to see explaining the law in detail... A thread that is the combined effort of several members, and hours of work.... hey if you get bored and are looking for some reading material check out this thread..

http://njgunforums.c...j-gun-law-faqs/

it is not a single feature but a combination of features...

Thanx for your typical pompeous, condescending reply. We all appreciate the time you spent compiling the stack of laws & info but they're not your laws so dont take it as a personal attack whenever someone has a mis-understanding about them.

Why in.gods name.is Vlad be.pissed on??????

non of his posts were condescending at all...

This is a joke.....

One...STOP flipping calling Trenton ...... he has 'no Guy's and if he does how does that help YOU if I do happen to get jammed up as you wont.....quit bringing BS to there attention that should not be in the first place

Two ... IF you are concerned about legality just p/w the flash hider....easy.... but you don't have too.....

Three..... if you do not care that you have to.remove the fh...and put a brake on...so simple..that way your risk aversion is satiated....

There are no absolutes in.life....u are not going to get an answer YOU like it seems even though u have been counseled .....

Just to bring this thread slightly back on topic - isn't the threaded barrel aspect a moot point? This is a Mini 14 we're talking about. I was under the impression that the flash hider on a Mini 14 was slipped over a plain barrel end and secured with set-screws - no threads.

Adios,

Pizza Bob<-----let's cooler heads prevail

Why in.gods name.is Vlad be.pissed on??????

non of his posts were condescending at all...

This is a joke.....

One...STOP flipping calling Trenton ...... he has 'no Guy's and if he does how does that help YOU if I do happen to get jammed up as you wont.....quit bringing BS to there attention that should not be in the first place

Two ... IF you are concerned about legality just p/w the flash hider....easy.... but you don't have too.....

Three..... if you do not care that you have to.remove the fh...and put a brake on...so simple..that way your risk aversion is satiated....

There are no absolutes in.life....u are not going to get an answer YOU like it seems even though u have been counseled .....

someone gets it...

Just to bring this thread slightly back on topic - isn't the threaded barrel aspect a moot point? This is a Mini 14 we're talking about. I was under the impression that the flash hider on a Mini 14 was slipped over a plain barrel end and secured with set-screws - no threads.

Adios,

Pizza Bob<-----let's cooler heads prevail

if that is the case...

this thread is hysterical..

Yes, and no. Depends upon the model.

The OP was with respect to the Tactical model, so yes the so-called "flash hidder" on the tactical models are threaded.

Ranch Rifle barrels are not threaded. After-market "flash hiders" for ranch rifles are pinned and look like a bad joke.

IMHO, the so-called "flash hiders" on Mini-14's are just decorations. Kinda like the spoilers that Toyota puts on the ass of a Prius.

What I want is a bonified M14-style flash hider for my Mini's. Anyone know where I can get one that can be adapted to a Ranch Rifle and a Mini-30?

Not for nothing....this guy is shooting a Red Ryder. Total noob with a 'tude.

Oh what an ass! I have a Red Ryder as a joke/gift from my sister, and yes... it's fun plinking cans in the backyard. All I'm trying to do here with my questions is follow the law. So if that makes me a 'noob (who's been shooting for 33 years, just not in this state) with a 'tude, then so be it, jackweed.

Oh what an ass! I have a Red Ryder as a joke/gift from my sister, and yes... it's fun plinking cans in the backyard. All I'm trying to do here with my questions is follow the law. So if that makes me a 'noob (who's been shooting for 33 years, just not in this state) with a 'tude, then so be it, jackweed.

If that is the case then why argue when you are given the answer....

"I think this is illegal"

"It's not because of this"

"I still think its illegal"

"The wording clearly says this"

"We'll your not a lawyer so I don't trust you"

"I don't need to be a lawyer a lawyer can only give opinion. If there is no case law... I'm telling you the facts as they are writen not as interpreted"

"Yeah I don't know"

It gets to the point of ridiculousness... You may have been shooting for a 100 years... I'm just explaining the rules as they are written...

The OP was with respect to the Tactical model, so yes the so-called "flash hidder" on the tactical models are threaded.

Ranch Rifle barrels are not threaded. After-market "flash hiders" for ranch rifles are pinned and look like a bad joke.

IMHO, the so-called "flash hiders" on Mini-14's are just decorations. Kinda like the spoilers that Toyota puts on the ass of a Prius.

What I want is a bonified M14-style flash hider for my Mini's. Anyone know where I can get one that can be adapted to a Ranch Rifle and a Mini-30?

I am no expert on this weapon system but knowing the threading would be a good start...

If that is the case then why argue when you are given the answer....

"I think this is illegal"

"It's not because of this"

"I still think its illegal"

"The wording clearly says this"

"We'll your not a lawyer so I don't trust you"

"I don't need to be a lawyer a lawyer can only give opinion. If there is no case law... I'm telling you the facts as they are writen not as interpreted"

"Yeah I don't know"

It gets to the point of ridiculousness... You may have been shooting for a 100 years... I'm just explaining the rules as they are written...

No argument from me. I agree they are written that way. But this being NJ, I thought it prudent to check with those that have more experience with actual enforcement of these confusing laws than I do. And I do thank you for chiming in... you confirm MY opinion of what the law says. I think the fact that there are others on this forum, as well as my local FFL, who are wary or confused or hold a differing opinion, is enough to validate my concern. FWIW, I don't care anymore. I bought it, and I'm working out the details to have it shipped now. If somewhere along the line "permanent attachment" becomes a requirement, I'll solder the damn thing myself.

I do not see a Mini-30 "tactical" only Mini-14 Tacticals, one of which comes with a pistol grip. The closest thing I found in a Mini-30 is this:

5854.jpg

Which only has the flash hider. The flash hider and threaded barrel are considered the same evil feature according to the law so you can have both. I have never seen a factory Mini-14 or Mini-30 with a threaded barrel, I have only seen them with pinned sights and muzzle devices.

I am no expert on this weapon system but knowing the threading would be a good start...

Therein lies the problem. Muzzel devices on the models I own (Ranch and Mini-30) are pinned. I suspect I am SOL.

Dude, just let Ruger 9 whither on the vine. The kid has managed to trash his reputation within his first 100 posts. Gotta be some kind of a record for a non-troll. Time to move on.

Correct. Ruger does not call it a "tactical" model, PEOPLE and some retailers do. The barrel does appear to be threaded: http://www.weaponevo...ini-30-Tactical
Dude. Just stop. Please. You are just grasping for straws now.

Post what you know, not what you think.

Ruger offers the Mini-30 in two factory configurations:

- KMINI-30-P and KMINI-30/20-P, which are a Ranch Rifles and do not have threaded barrels.

- M-30/20GBCPC which has a pretend flash hider and threaded barrel (but you will be hard pressed to find this model sold in a NJ brick and morter store because of the 20-round OOTB mag). A knowledgeble FFL may do your transfer for an online order so long as you leave the mag behind.

To be clear, M-30/20GBCPC is no-go in NJ, not because of the flash hider or the threaded barrel, but because of the mag capacity. Swap out the mag, and you are 100% good to go.

Dude. Just stop. Please.

You are just grasping for straws now.

What the hell are you talking about? I'm done here... I bought the gun, it's over. I was just showing the poster that the barrel is indeed threaded, as a point of information, that's all.

Ruger advertises the Mini-30 Tactical HERE. Play the video.

Never saw that. I was going from Ruger's product page here: http://www.ruger.com/products/miniThirty/models.html where it's not listed as a "tactical" model. Whatever- doesn't matter. The guns legal, it's been purchased.

I know I can be dense sometimes, but after reading this whole thread from post one, my head really hurts.... :)

Ummmm, errrrrrrr, are black rifles legal in NJ? Mine has a little gray and tan, so that will rule ths out right? ;):)

In 12 days to garner this much negativity is pretty impressive. Shame we don't have that old feature of Thumbs Up / Thumbs Down.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

I have a flash hider on my mini 14 Ranch , supposedly factory installed , it is pinned on. Stainless. I think it looks rather nice lol

I think we spoke about it once..I was going to swap it out for a pinned on muzzle break. PM me know if you want to swap or something ( for a stainless muzzle break) .

Correct. Ruger does not call it a "tactical" model, PEOPLE and some retailers do.

The barrel does appear to be threaded:

http://www.weaponevo...ini-30-Tactical

I never looked close but I never noticed any flat surfaces on the flash hider for a wrench like the ARs have. I would love to know what they use to install/remove it without screwing up the finish.