Scott204

Home Alarms

As the title states I am looking into getting an alarm for my home. Just wondering if anyone here is in the business and can point me in the right direction or if anyone here has an alarm that they would recommend. I am interested in one with monitoring by a company i.e. ADT.

Nickjc made this post if you are looking for cost effective.... http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/33196-home-security-gun-room-security-offer/page__fromsearch__1

If you are set on a name brand company.. I was less than impressed with ADT's solution and price for the hardware. I went with Guardian Protection and I received more hardware and more features than what ADT had to offer for $5 less a month at that. Hope this helps.

I have worked in security integration for 22 years. I started at the age of 20 with ADT and will tell you they are no longer the "Pride in Excellence" company I used to work for. Stay away from them, all they want is a monitoring contract, they no longer care about the quality of the installation.

I would suggest a local company that specializes in residential installations and suggest a quality hardwired system. If the budget does not warrant the cost of a hard wired system and you have to go wireless I would only consider looking at a Honeywell Vista (old Ademco) or possible a Napco system. There are other manufacturers products that are good but in my 22 years I have ripped out everything from FBI, DSC and even Radionics (now Bosch) systems that have failed but have only had a hand full of Ademco and Napco systems that failed and mostly due to lightning strikes and power surges.

I use Sonia Security at my home and my father's home and always recommend them to anyone looking for a residential install. Tony Sonia is a stand-up guy and has some of the best residential guys in NJ

Glad you said it before me. Over 21 years before laid off at "Automatic Double Trouble"...

Only thing I disagree with is the FBI panels. I installed a Legend 100 series over 25 years ago and not one false alarm that I didn't cause. (Coming home drunk doesn't help keep down the false alarm rate, ll)... Only thing I've done is change the battery when needed. I agree with the hardwired if you can pull it off. Rough in some houses but will last forever... I still do not trust wireless to this day over wired.

I have worked in security integration for 22 years. I started at the age of 20 with ADT and will tell you they are no longer the "Pride in Excellence" company I used to work for. Stay away from them, all they want is a monitoring contract, they no longer care about the quality of the installation.

I would suggest a local company that specializes in residential installations and suggest a quality hardwired system. If the budget does not warrant the cost of a hard wired system and you have to go wireless I would only consider looking at a Honeywell Vista (old Ademco) or possible a Napco system. There are other manufacturers products that are good but in my 22 years I have ripped out everything from FBI, DSC and even Radionics (now Bosch) systems that have failed but have only had a hand full of Ademco and Napco systems that failed and mostly due to lightning strikes and power surges.

I use Sonia Security at my home and my father's home and always recommend them to anyone looking for a residential install. Tony Sonia is a stand-up guy and has some of the best residential guys in NJ

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Today's wireless is not yesterday's ....... dmp wirelessnis superb

Glad you said it before me. Over 21 years before laid off at "Automatic Double Trouble"...

Only thing I disagree with is the FBI panels. I installed a Legend 100 series over 25 years ago and not one false alarm that I didn't cause. (Coming home drunk doesn't help keep down the false alarm rate, ll)... Only thing I've done is change the battery when needed. I agree with the hardwired if you can pull it off. Rough in some houses but will last forever... I still do not trust wireless to this day over wired.

Typos courtesy Apple...

My favorite ADT acronym definition is "Assholes Don't Think" LOL

I worked residential out of Secaucus off of rout 17 for 2½ years in the early '90s I worked with some good installers but then came the staple-and-run trunk slammers stringing two contacts and a motion for $99 and it was all over. I just lost my job in March after 11 years with a large pharma company's technical security department. Fun times!

Today's wireless is not yesterday's ....... dmp wirelessnis superb

Agreed, but history as my guide wireless evolves and product lines change as older technology is end of lifed. Copper today will be copper 10, 20, 30 years from now. I installed a Vista 50 in my house when I built it back in 1994. The system still does it's job well with only one false alarm in 17 years, a Bluegrass glass break falsed when a sheet of plywood fell during my kitchen renovation.

Copper is dead.....no need to wire an existinv home today...

Yes...you can go total cell..network etc...

The systems we posted can be run from ur Droid or apple OS

Can you set up a system to run "wireless" monitoring communication? a lot of the houses around here get robbed w/ security systems when the telephone lines are cut.

I'm putting in a Honeywell Lynx system. Wireless and has the advantage of switching monitoring or service (instaler) companies if I want to do so.

Whatever u do get a cell backup and install motion sensors on every floor for a 5 second trip. Cameras are great also. I can select a zone in the picture and whenever anything trips that zone a series of pics are emailed to me. Doesn't cost a penny after install.

Copper is dead.....no need to wire an existinv home today...

I have to disagree, wireless should only be an option if you either can not afford to hardwire or there are physical limitations to hardwiring a system. Granted with lithium batteries you only need to change them every five years or so but otherwise there is no other advantage. Now I have used wireless motions in critical areas to supliment hardwired dual-tecs but only because of their anti-masking capability.

I have to disagree, wireless should only be an option if you either can not afford to hardwire or there are physical limitations to hardwiring a system. Granted with lithium batteries you only need to change them every five years or so but otherwise there is no other advantage. Now I have used wireless motions in critical areas to supliment hardwired dual-tecs but only because of their anti-masking capability.

You can disagree all you want LOL but it is a fact...copper is a dying..nearing dead technology component...in both commercial and PRIMARILY residential systems

Why would you waste a clients money ..let alone ggd labor to wire z home when today's wireless is technologically viable?

Fire alarm commercial is different...

However I just completed a CCTV. Project for a lsrge commercial client a dropped IP HD CCTV a half mile over wireless backhaul....

Again copper is dead...note it..believe it ..embrace it...

Can you set up a system to run "wireless" monitoring communication? a lot of the houses around here get robbed w/ security systems when the telephone lines are cut.

Not to cheerlead the company I went with, but they offered a GE panel with wireless transmission to the monitoring company, battery backup,and snatch and grab protection from someone crashing the door and ripping the panel.

All contacts/sensors signal a tamper alarm if they are messed with. I even opted for a small upcharge to get audio in/out from the monitoring desk to the panel. Just another little piece of mind that made my wife happy while im out on my shift.

You can disagree all you want LOL but it is a fact...copper is a dying..nearing dead technology component...in both commercial and PRIMARILY residential systems

Why would you waste a clients money ..let alone ggd labor to wire z home when today's wireless is technologically viable?

Fire alarm commercial is different...

However I just completed a CCTV. Project for a lsrge commercial client a dropped IP HD CCTV a half mile over wireless backhaul....

Again copper is dead...note it..believe it ..embrace it...

Read what I said, it is viable, I don't advise against it. What I said was I consider it a second option if you can't afford to or are physically unable to hardwire and for the stated reasons. In my experience a hard wired system in the long run is a better investment.

FBI..Bluegrass...ah the good old days. All gone.

I've been out of it for 6 years now after 14 years in it , but even as I was leaving Vista , Napco , DSC , all put out reliable wireless systems. I heard DMP was good( I was not a distributor for them )

I was just going to say what others have said ..stay away from ADT and other chains like them. You'll get better services and monitoring from an independent installer.

Hehe, Automatic Double Trouble was actually my nickname. It's what my customers called me.. In a loving way. I got along with almost all my customers.

Office was in Rutherford... Sure that's what you were thinking? Cause that's where I was out of for my whole stint. Was a service supervisor before I got laid off. Tech before that. Yep, the trunk slammers killed the union guys... Was a joke.

My favorite ADT acronym definition is "Assholes Don't Think" LOL

I worked residential out of Secaucus off of rout 17 for 2½ years in the early '90s I worked with some good installers but then came the staple-and-run trunk slammers stringing two contacts and a motion for $99 and it was all over. I just lost my job in March after 11 years with a large pharma company's technical security department. Fun times!

Typos courtesy Apple...

Hehe, Automatic Double Trouble was actually my nickname. It's what my customers called me.. In a loving way. I got along with almost all my customers.

Office was in Rutherford... Sure that's what you were thinking? Cause that's where I was out of for my whole stint. Was a service supervisor before I got laid off. Tech before that. Yep, the trunk slammers killed the union guys... Was a joke.

Typos courtesy Apple...

Right, you are right, Veterans Blvd in Rutherford. It's been a very long time. LOL Do you remember George Herder and Bobby Lanza? I worked for George and Bobby is my cousin.

Yep, remember both... Bobby your cousin? Not to worry, I won't hold that against you...

George was ok. Don't recall if he survived all the cuts or not...

Right, you are right, Veterans Blvd in Rutherford. It's been a very long time. LOL Do you remember George Herder and Bobby Lanza? I worked for George and Bobby is my cousin.

ok I am staying away from ADT. I guess maybe a self install kit then look for monitoring is the besT??

Look at the dmp offer...commercial grade....self install....

If not no sweat....best of luck.in your search