NJKen

Field strip Ruger MkIII hunter

Who here has one that they can strip and clean without having to look at the manual? I hate to take this gun apart and clean... When re-assembling I have a very hard time getting the dam thing back together. particularly with the hammer strut that rests on the spring that goes in the back of the grip. Otherwise it is a great pistol and I would still recommend it. You just dont wanna clean it! At least not the way I clean anyway. Do these pistols get more cooperative with time or is it just something I better learn to deal with? Perhaps I should just stick to rifles since thats where my passion is!

Ken

I have a Mark II which I think is easy. I know they added "features" to the Mark III that made it more difficult, magazine disconnect and loaded chamber indicator (which I never understood), that make it more difficult. The best way I learned was Youtube.

Well a basic field strip is pretty straight forward. No manual required after you do it once or twice. A complete breakdown however is a pain.

I agree, watching youtube videos was helpful. Personally, this is the one I found most helpful. For those who aren't well versed in the technical terms of each and every part, you should know exactly what he is talking about!

The manual won't show you the tricks like youtube vids do. The one posted above is good and there are many others. Once you see the "trick" it is not that hard. And they are much easier to work with after repeated break downs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first day, I sat with the manual and stripped/reassembled like 6 times following the steps. After that, I got it down and haven't needed to look at the manual again. I can break it down in under a minute and reassembly takes about 2 minutes.

Detail stripping I wouldn't do again without a reference step by step (available on the internet). I had to do that because I had to reseat the sear.

I was very nervous with it after hearing all about the horror stories with maintenance. The truth is that those horror stories are mostly just belly-aching. It's a great gun, and if you are even the lowest level of "tinkerer", you can manage it.

The truth is that those horror stories are mostly just belly-aching. It's a great gun, and if you are even the lowest level of "tinkerer", you can manage it.

+1 Yeah, it's not as easy as some other pistols to take apart and clean... but it's not as horrible as some may make it out to be. After the first or second time of taking it apart and putting it back together, it became second nature. It's a fantastic pistol and a great shooter. I upgraded my Mark III Hunter with a lot of Volquartsen parts and it's just an awesome pistol now. I highly recommend the Volquartsen trigger/action upgrades... a little pricey, but SO worth it. Taking it apart and putting the parts in yourself is not that bad at all.

My only difficulties are with getting the pin through the bolt, sometimes it just doesnt want to come out/in. And remembering the mag needs to be in the gun to drop the hammer. Other then that, about 3 times it took me to remember the steps.

My only difficulties are with getting the pin through the bolt, sometimes it just doesnt want to come out/in. And remembering the mag needs to be in the gun to drop the hammer. Other then that, about 3 times it took me to remember the steps.

My mainspring housing comes out by hand. Going back in, I have to rap it with a rubber mallet. The tolerances are made to be tight. Over time, it will loosen up and will be able to be done by hand. I expect that this gun will outlive me and be my grandson's first .22 pistol.

I get that in by putting a wooden dowel on the bottom of the pin and applying pressure to it while pushing the bolt forward.

Just a little pressure on the bolt usually lines the pin up better and it will pop in without a hammer. A little bit of a wiggle on the wooden dowel helps too.

Lately it is getting easier to do even without the dowel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do love this pistol but,... It is a pain in the ass to take apert and clean. I have very hard time getting the main spring back together without getting the hammer strut in the rite way. I tried youtube videos and all the other info i can find. It is possible to get this thing put together the wrong way and you can not disassemble it again once this is done. Im not a newbie with guns either. I can strip, clean, and reassemble anyof my other guns in the dark and not have a problem. The MkIII defies my logic. If I where to buy another 22 pistol tomorrow I would buy it again. Its a great shooter. Just a **** to clean the way I clean guns. Taking it apart is easy, cleaning it is easy, putting it back together is a PITA.

Ken

I can't say I've ever had an issue that would make me call this gun a pita. The video Bonesinium posted above, though chock full of face palms, shows exactly what you need to do to get the hammer strut into the mainspring housing.

With the gun mostly back together, and you're ready to install the msh,

1. point the barrel down, (insert the magazine if you still haven't thrown out the mag safety)

2. Pull the trigger and hold it

3. Insert the msh pin through the receiver and barrel

4. Rotate the barrel upward so the hammer strut drops toward the msh

5. Rotate the msh into the receiver (now you can let the trigger go)... If the msh is springy and trying to push away from being flush with the receiver, you're good. If the msh sits flush easily, rotate it out and try to get the strut in place again.

6. Close the latch... Done

I have not used a mallet on mine since the first disassembly. She responds fine with gentle wiggling. And please don't use a metal screwdriver to pull the msh latch! What is that guy thinking!?

I seen this being offered by RTSP in Randolph i dont own one of these pistols but Maybe someone would be interested..........RUGER MARK I, II, and III owners... like taking your gun apart for cleaning? Didn't think so... We now offer Majestic Speed Strip Kit Installations for $100! This price includes the kit and installation by our gunsmith. Once installed, a single Allen Head screw is all you have to disengage to pull your gun apart! Read below for some general information....

The 3.2 Speed Strip Kit by Majestic Arms

consists of a patented 2-piece bolt stop pin, a precision machined hammer and a new pivot bushing. The new pivot bushing reduces pre-travel of the trigger by 65%. Once the Speed Strip Kit is installed, disassembly is as easy as unscrewing the new bolt stop pin with the provided Allen key followed by sliding the bolt out for cleaning. The kit does not require any special tools or modifications to the pistol, nor does it interfere with any of the pistols normal functions. Installation of this kit will reduce trigger pull to 3-1/2 to 3-3/4 lbs. The 3.2 Speed Strip Kit also allows Mark 3 owners to safely omit the magazine disconnect feature.

First recommendation is to buy a special bushing to get rid of the magazine disconnect and half those steps are elimininated or simplified. Magazines will then easilly drop out and insert without hanging up. Best $12-15 you can spend on a mkiii in my opinion. There are a couple of vendors that sell them (Sam lam, etc) that will work with your mkiii internals. If you plan on upgrading to volquartsen trigger parts, just get the mkii versions and add a mkii bushing to accomplish the same.

Also, on the rear of the recoil spring guide rod is a crescent shape piece of metal where the rod extends slightly through the center making a spherical bulge. That crecent shape is right under the hole in the reciver for the MSH and It's that bulge that helps retain the MSH before its closed shut. It's also that bulge that can make it difficult to insert/remove the MSH. You can do a little sanding/grinding/filing/polishing on that spherical bulge, removing just a little at a time, to allow the MSH to insert and remove a little easier. If you're afraid to screw that up, which is difficult to do if you take your time, that part is under $10. my MSH now goes in and out by hand fairly easily, but still is retained and not loose.

See the part here withe the crecent shape in question on the right.

http://shopruger.com/KA-57-MK-III-III-Recoil-Spring-Assembly/productinfo/61051/

First recommendation is to buy a special bushing to get rid of the magazine disconnect and half those steps are elimininated or simplified. Magazines will then easilly drop out and insert without hanging up. Best $12-15 ...

Or replace the magazine disconnect with a spare washer from your random parts drawer.

EA1F6D2E-FC4F-4F63-B42A-7A983C180D9C-1724-000003BD2D124CC0.jpg

0F42EEA4-62FF-41BC-B362-DAF54AAD7ACD-1724-000003BD38B8CC79.jpg

8451A2F7-0E1F-4DE9-AEC0-225E5E80D2B4-1724-000003BD42F21049.jpg

25464D84-7D81-477D-9B89-4D589D2C1E20-1724-000003C37E14E9D7.jpg

216BC9D5-C090-4508-9E60-515518F36F0A-1724-000003C39411E149.jpg

Inner diameter large enough to fit on the hammer bushing (about .25 inches), outer diameter small enough to clear the sear and hammer (less than 0.5 inches), deep enough to take up the space of the magazine safety (about 0.055 inches).

http://www.tandemkro...ct&product_id=2

You're welcome... the Video also shows a way to strip it down that seems easier.. Pro-tip..Don't take the hammer pin ALL the way out