zoid

Sig P228 VS P229

Who here owns or has shot somewhat extensively both guns?

Here's my brief story. I shot the P229 and loved it. It was a very

natural, excellent shooter for me. So I tell people this and they

say the P228 is even better. That seems to be the general

consensus by Sig fans. So I go and buy the P228 instead.

I get the 228 and it just doesn't shoot as well off the bat for me

as the 229 did. Now I shoot pretty well with it but it took some

time. In the back of my mind I have this feeling that the 229 will

shoot better for me. Maybe it's the slightly extra weight? I can't

see why it would be any different. Thoughts?

I thought about selling my P228 for the P229, but they (Sig fans)

say I'll regret that.

Anyways, have any of you found that one shoots better/worse than

the other?

First of all, relying on others opinions has resulted in many a sold/traded gun by me. You need to trust your gut on this one. Unless the people recommending one over the other have concrete reasons that are verifiable (i.e. bad quality control on Sig's newer guns vs older West German QC, durability of stamped vs milled slide, known flaws with a certain model, mim parts in one and not the other, etc), go with the one you shoot well. There will always be fanboys advocating something or another.

I have a friend who just got a 229 so I will try that out and see if it confirms anything.

I can notice a little that the 228 has a slightly better trigger, but it's not a huge difference

like some claim. Least not to me. But now after some time with it I should be able to

tell a little better.

What I can't understand is why they would feel/shoot so different from one another. I guess

those subtle things make a big difference in the end.

I have shot both extensively and prefer he p228.

The fact that the gun is lighter is a plus; the trigger is better and smoother on older german p228's. If you have the older hamer strut (long), swapping to the shoter strut reduces stacking.

When you try your friends, is his a newer one? The newer p229's have a wider grip now.

For me, I feel the balance of the gun is better in a p228. To each his/ her own.

I got a chance to shoot the 229. It was actually the older model with the half serrations. Maybe it was just in my head but I felt like I shot it better a little bit. I had not shot for a while and it was very accurately and it felt natural. Unfortunately I did not have my 228 to do a side by side comparison. I'm leaning toward getting the 229 but that would mean the 228 would have to go.

I got a chance to shoot the 229. It was actually the older model with the half serrations. Maybe it was just in my head but I felt like I shot it better a little bit. I had not shot for a while and it was very accurately and it felt natural. Unfortunately I did not have my 228 to do a side by side comparison. I'm leaning toward getting the 229 but that would mean the 228 would have to go.

being a Sig fan myself and with all the due respect to the Sig fanatic >>> if one feels better over the other then that's the one u gonna be mostly shooting anyways. sell p228 buy p229 and let Signess embrace u :)

I've shot both in 9mm. From a purely shooting perspective, I liked the P229 better. Recoil was similar to my German P226, while the P228's I've fired tended to feel more snappy. Accuracy is probably about equal. I haven't fired any of the newer P229's.

I just wish the 228 and 229 has the same slides. Sig really dropped the ball by not sticking to one slide profile and one magazine. The 9mm magazine should fit and work in the 226,8,9 just like the glocks with only length being a factor

They are simply different model pistols, 228 is a carbon steel,pinned breech block slide, while a 229 is a stainless one piece slide.

In the same caliber, magazines will interchange throughout 226/228/229 Of course 228/9 mags will not fit a 226 they're not long enough.

Recently production 229-1 have unique magazines that will not interchange with older guns.

They are simply different model pistols, 228 is a carbon steel,pinned breech block slide, while a 229 is a stainless one piece slide.

Are the "new" P228's still using the carbon steel slide. I was under the impression that they used the monolithic SS slide and were essentially 9mm P229's without the rail.

Well since they are now using the 40 frame, the old mags are too skinny. I forget whether or not they wil lock in. I will have to check. They will be movement of the mag which is never good for reliable cycling.