mbeattie

FID for shotgun ammo?

I am new to guns so I may be wrong but you shouldn't need a FID to purchase shotgun ammo, correct?

I am pretty new to guns and hunting and by that I mean I have never shot a gun or gone hunting but I expressed an interest to a friend of mine that does it. He said he would take me out but I should do the NJ hunter education thing. I applied for my FID and got the workbook part of the hunter thing but the video is down. Part of the qualification is shooting a shotgun and since I have never done it before I figured I should try it before doing it the first time at the course. My friend said he would take me somewhere and let me shoot his if I got some ammo. I went to Dicks in Freehold to get the video (they didn't have any left) and purchase some rounds but they told me that they couldn't sell me shotgun ammo without a FID.

Is this correct or are they just misinformed? Maybe it's just a store policy? I can't find any info saying that you should need a FID to purchase anything but handgun ammo. When I asked them how long that has been the case they said since 2008.

Dicks has great sales pricing, but stupid corporate policies in NJ (CYA at its finest, hard to blame them though).

You may pay a little more, but patronize a local shop that come up with rules that make owning and using a firearm in New Jersey more difficult than it already is. If you want to buy bulk, do it from online. CopesDistibuting usually has great deals on shotgun ammo.

They are all correct. Store policy, not law. Give your buddy some money for ammo.

also consider checking out newjerseyhunter.com - that forum is more geared toward hunting.

They are all correct. Store policy, not law. Give your buddy some money for ammo.

also consider checking out newjerseyhunter.com - that forum is more geared toward hunting.

Yea, I told him what happened and he just said, "whatever, use mine and then just replace it later or whatever"

I'll check out that forum too, thanks.

I have been in several dicks stores lately buying ammo while on sale. Specifically I have been buying remmy gun clubs and have as of yet to provide my fid. I am asked my age when at the checkout line but other than that, that's all. I have even bought at freehold. I would clearly state the requirement is not needed and make an issue. I have been in woodbridge, freehold and even brick.

btw, the great thing is that the guy carries the case to the front for me. I think that is even better that I don't have to carry it. lol

I buy a lot of shotgun ammo and Dicks in Stafford and they have never asked for an FID while buying shotgun ammunition. I'll wait for it to go on sale as I like the Remington gun club and will buy 3 or 4 cases at a time.

I buy a lot of shotgun ammo and Dicks in Stafford and they have never asked for an FID while buying shotgun ammunition. I'll wait for it to go on sale as I like the Remington gun club and will buy 3 or 4 cases at a time.

See this: http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/41207-dicks-sporting-goods-guns-ammo-deals-1021-1027/

I am new to guns so I may be wrong but you shouldn't need a FID to purchase shotgun ammo, correct?

I am pretty new to guns and hunting and by that I mean I have never shot a gun or gone hunting but I expressed an interest to a friend of mine that does it. He said he would take me out but I should do the NJ hunter education thing. I applied for my FID and got the workbook part of the hunter thing but the video is down. Part of the qualification is shooting a shotgun and since I have never done it before I figured I should try it before doing it the first time at the course. My friend said he would take me somewhere and let me shoot his if I got some ammo. I went to Dicks in Freehold to get the video (they didn't have any left) and purchase some rounds but they told me that they couldn't sell me shotgun ammo without a FID.

Is this correct or are they just misinformed? Maybe it's just a store policy? I can't find any info saying that you should need a FID to purchase anything but handgun ammo. When I asked them how long that has been the case they said since 2008.

Was it .410 ammo? I know NJ considers some .410 ammo as "handgun" because there are a few revolvers (Taurus Judge) that can shoot .45 and .410 ammo. Other than that, shotgun shells (12 Ga, etc) don't require FID.