Sign in to follow this  
BlueLineFish

To shoot or not to shoot?

Well I won an auction for a brand new Remington R1 Centennial Edition. What are opinions on future value. Should I shoot it or leave it unfired. I am leaning towards shooting it. I paid a lot less than it sells for so I think shooting it won't matter too much. I am not sure if I can leave something unfired though

I don't ever see myself buying a gun that I won't shoot. I'm not that kind of "collector". That's why I didn't buy a Colt King Cobra, blued 4". I wouldn't have shot it and I don't have the $$$ or room for a collection. I would either sell it or shoot it. Good luck.

C

I'm no expert, but it seems there are very few contemporary guns that actually appreciate tremendously in value in short amounts of time, like 20 years or younger. Things like the Colt Python.

Maybe after 60 years or so it may be very desirable for its collector's appeal, but I wouldn't count on it. It would probably need some kind of confirmed historical provenance like it was owned by someone famous, was serial number 00001 of a famous line of guns, used in a major war or associated with a famous battle... that kind of thing. That's my take on collectable guns.

If you do want to take the chance, for collectors you can't get better then new in box unless the value of the gun is associated with it being used (like in a war by a famous person, etc). Sometimes you see NIB guns from the 70's, like forgotten in the back of some old gun store. I've seen them go for basically going rates of modern versions or slightly higher if it is a cool gun, so from a $$$ perspective, it was an investment that made a return equal or better then the rate of inflation over 30-40 years. Not bad.