Sign in to follow this  
KWGOOD1980

Greatings Comrades in the state of NJ

Hey guys,

Just moved back to New Jersey and I started filling out the application and I just want to make sure I don't completely jack this thing up:

Question 25) Are you dependent upon the use of a narcotic(s) or other controlled dangerous substance(s)?

I take Adderall for ADHD, I have no history of mental illness, being in a ward, or any other loony bin stuff. Now, I can split hairs and say it's not a dangerous substance but I'm sure that isn't going to fly. So my question is, how much is this going to screw me? Also, to find every doctor that has prescribed me ADHD medication over the years? Really?

My second question is the following:

The fingerprint stuff. I had a full background check(I'm assuming?) when I bought my first handgun in PA. The front paperwork for my municipality states the following:

"Note: If you had a full background check for Firearms ID Card or Permits to Purchase within the last 5years, no fingerprinting is required blablablal"

I'm assuming this is irrelevant? I have literally nothing to hide, I just have heard nightmares about this process and want to make sure my i's are dotted and t's are crossed because I'm not trying to give them any reason to NOT give me this thing.

Dependent = addicted. I assume that you can function (albeit with a somewhat scattered focus) without the Adderall. You are not "dependent" on it.

Your background check in PA has zero relevance for this application. You will have to be fingerprinted. You PD will direct you to Sagem Morpho (the third party that does the fingerprinting). It will be done by appointment and be $50 - $60. On subsequent permit to purchase (P2P) applications you will not need to be fingerprinted - however, this is at your local PD's discretion. A non-criminal background check is done in leiu of fingerprinting. It cost $18. FPID is $5 and P2P's are $2 each.

Welcome to the gulag.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Dependent = addicted. I assume that you can function (albeit with a somewhat scattered focus) without the Adderall. You are not "dependent" on it.

Your background check in PA has zero relevance for this application. You will have to be fingerprinted. You PD will direct you to Sagem Morpho (the third party that does the fingerprinting). It will be done by appointment and be $50 - $60. On subsequent permit to purchase (P2P) applications you will not need to be fingerprinted - however, this is at your local PD's discretion. A non-criminal background check is done in leiu of fingerprinting. It cost $18. FPID is $5 and P2P's are $2 each.

Welcome to the gulag.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

That's kind of what I thought. Yup, I don't even take it on a normal basis to be honest, I take it while I'm studying for MBA/CFA nonsense. Am I literally going toned the entire list of doctors that have prescribed me Adderall over my entire lifetime as well as signatures? Or is there some sort of date cutoff? I'm looking at this consent for mental health records search and good god. I was diagnosed when I was 14? I'm 32 now.. That's quite a few doctors. Ahhh figures I would have to get fingerprinted. Anything to make the process as hard as possible. My buddy down in Cherry Hill waited I believe 9 months for the entire process? Insane. Hopefully I get this job down in Delaware so I can have my freedom again.

I believe controlled dangerous substances (CDS) are very well defined, check the FDA website to see if your medication is listed

Yup, Adderall is definitely a controlled substance. I just did some research based on what Pizza Bob said and I could answer "No" to question 25 as, I'm not dependent. Interesting how they blur the lines on ultimately the same thing between dependence and abuse.

Welcome to the forums

Thanks, can't wait to actually get out of the NJ law section lol :/ Already have a few new toys picked out for when this goes through.

Addreall is indeed a controlled substance. But, the question reads: "...use of a narcotic(s) or other controlled dangerous substance(s)"

You need to be very precise in reading these questions and don't read anything into them. Adderall is neither a narchotic nor a dangerous substance. So, you are good to go.

Addreall is indeed a controlled substance. But, the question reads: "...use of a narcotic(s) or other controlled dangerous substance(s)"

You need to be very precise in reading these questions and don't read anything into them. Adderall is neither a narchotic nor a dangerous substance. So, you are good to go.

Yeah that one I'm pretty good on. Just question 26 and the consent form now. Just seems a bit insane that I'm going to have to get signatures for every Dr. that has prescribed me Adderall over the past 18 years.

BTW, I appreciate the help everyone, I would have surely jacked this up by now.

adderall (amphetamine) is a schedule II CDS. Be careful giving advice such as "you are good to go" because it could possibly get the OP in trouble.

adderall (amphetamine) is a schedule II CDS. Be careful giving advice such as "you are good to go" because it could possibly get the OP in trouble.

Won't matter to be honest. I'm not dependent on the medication as I've gone sometimes 2-4 years without a prescription. This is what makes question 26 and the form a pita.

An anti-gun persecutor can construe anything anyway they want. But we cannot live our lives in fear.

ADD/ADHD medications are neither prescribed as narchotics nor effective as narchotics when taken as prescribed.

If OP is abusing his meds, he is not good to go. Otherwise, WTF?!?! Take the tinfoil hat off and answer the question with "NO!"

No and no. I basically take it randomly in a blue moon.

E.g. just recently I was studying for the CFA exam, so I needed to refill. I probably refill.... once every 2-3 years? I don't NEED it, unless I'm studying for standardized tests.

Sorry for delay, was on vacation for 2 weeks and the hurricane.

it is interesting how innocent, law abiding citizens get themselves into a tizzy over this crap (myself included!) and yet the criminals dont give two thoughts over it and usually get away scott free when caught.