springfieldxds

buying a firearm as is

So I want to purchase a new kimber solo from a dealer on gunbroker, I contacted the dealer to ask him some questions and he told me the firearm is brand new from the factory was only opened to take pics of and that's all, I asked if there was an inspection period when receiving the gun and he said all sales are as is, he just went on to say though that the firearm is brand new with no scratches or anything, he said if there was anything out of the ordinary he would take pics and post it with the auction and that he wouldn't put his reputation on the line to make a few bucks, he did have a perfect rating and great reviews just a little worried buying a gun as is

What's everybody's thoughts

For the most part you just need to worry about cosmetic stuff that is not covered under warranty, if there are any major problems , it looks like Kimber has a 1 year warranty for new pistols. Kinda lame if you ask me, as many competitors have lifetime warranties. Springfield, S&W, and even Taurus to name a few..

I just reread your opening post, and quite frankly I've never heard of anyone selling a brand new gun "as is". Used guns yes, but a new gun no..but I also do not buy guns online. I only buy in person. I would pass on it personally. Even though you are covered by your warranty, I would not purchase without an inspection period just based on the way he is acting.

I buy most of my guns online b/c of the better choices and prices then the local gun shops. Gunbroker is a great resource. If the seller has great feedback then that's a positive. If the gun is advertised as new then it should not have any cosmetic flaws from use. If there are any defects then the seller should make a note of it.

If I was the seller and it was a new gun I would not take any returns either if the gun shipped out in factory new condition. You would be surprised at what could happen to a gun when it arrives at a buyers FFL. The seller needs to cover himself against this stuff too.

Use a credit card & if it's something you want for sure then buy it as is.

If you change your mind & it's perfect then you deserve to get charged the high % return fees.

If it's rusted or damaged, don't process your FFL permits. Tell them you want it returned before you accept else it's probably too late.

remember they got you on paper if it's "as is" or no returns