AS350Driver

CJRPC USPSA 12-9-12

Ill be there , is there going to be online pew reg this time ?

No pre-reg this month, that part of the plan didn't survive contact with reality because of issues getting access to the form service in a timely manner. I'm not too concerned as long as we don't get too many people who haven't shot there before arriving late. Heck, pre-reg may not be necessary without the horrific palm process and a need to cap attendance, as it looks to me like it will just duplicate work unnecessarily. We'll see after trying it for real.

They must have started late, i was their 8:00 am drove over to the rifle ranges and then left..it was raining pretty good so i assumed they cancelled when i did not see anyone in the trailer..

At Central Jersey?

My son and I were there at 8 as was Vlad and Matt and 2 others.

They must have started late, i was their 8:00 am drove over to the rifle ranges and then left..it was raining pretty good so i assumed they cancelled when i did not see anyone in the trailer..

I was there at about 7:45am.

OK, scores have been sent off to Vlad to publish. To the 7 or so people who showed up bright and early to help set up, HUGE thanks to all of you for stepping up and helping. We have you to thank for a soggy day of shooting.

Given how little issues were reported, on their first use, on a crappy day, I'd say they are a winner. There are a few bugs that Matt wasn't thrilled by but they are still beat paper, and they certainly beat the soggy, muddy, wind blown paper we would have had for this match.

I spent alot of time on the nook yesterday doing scores, Much faster then the small pda handhelds, though if you somehow get kicked out of the program for whatever reason, it's a little confusing on how to get back in.

I recall us getting pop ups a few times about something like " Need Wi-Fi " to sync, and of course the touch screens becoming unresponsive, due to either freezing? or having rain droplets on the screen messing with it.

Also, if your fingers are cold, it doesnt want to work. We were stuck on the " drag to unlock " screen for a bit, wouldnt advanced until somebody with warmer hands took over.

Otherwise, mucho better than the older type.

Thanks for getting the scores up so quick.

What is the verdict on the electronics? Granted, tough conditions to start the process, but are we happy with them?

I do like the Nook's much better than the palm's by the way.

Are we happy with them? Mostly, there are issues though and they could be better. With 39 shooters shooting for 4 hours, they all finished with about 90% of battery remaining. So that is good.

The wifi pop up, I believe was due to moisture contacting the wifi reception indicator on the screen, as the pop up results form poking that. At least the ones I saw. Practiscore won't try to access wi-fi from anywhere other than the sync screen to try and conserve battery use.

The unresponsive screens were also due to moisture. They count as a touch. The interface is smart enough to ignore most of them, but it can process only so many touches. Too many droplets, you use up that budget and additional ones get annoyed. That's the simplified version anyway. That wasn't unexpected.

For those two, we just have to find a way to go about bagging them. Worst case so far is gallon ziplock freezer bags allow you to reach in and operate them without any functional issues. The problem with that is they blur the screen a bit whihc may be problematic. I'm going to see how they deal with mylar comic bags which are clearer.

As for the cold fingers, I ordered a bunch of mini styluses for that We'll see if they make it here for January.

The biggest problem with it right now is that the software and the documentation have started to diverge significantly in terms of how to handle your data. Most of the issues have workarounds, the problem is they have more than one, and there's the easiest way, and then everything else.

Some examples of broken stuff:

I put in everyone's class when signing them up. They are all there. It imports into ezwinscore as everyone having a class of U. The fix isn't horrible, you just have to update classifications for the match inside ezwinscore. This, however isn't documented anywhere.

If you try to export per the instructions, you find that it fails at trying to create an archive of the text files EZ needs for import. They built a PC desktop app to just grab stuff over wi-fi like it was jsut another device running practiscore. It works smooth, but the only reference to this thing is the download link in the middle of a paragraph on their front page, when it is something that really should also be referenced in the support area of the web page in a large font, perhaps even justifying use of the blink tag as it is the difference between workable and 0% functional.

Another one is that the docs say that everyone should get a default squad of 1. Instead what actually happens is that you get a default of 0. 0 is not a recognized squad number for EZ, and the app refuses to export people because of that until you go fix it all by hand. I had fixed it before using the desktop exporter though. If the desktop exporter works, fixing it in one flat text file would be much, much faster.

Autocomplete for adding new shooters also has some issues.

An example of a misfeature:

You can punch out of scoring someone without completing it, and you get no warning. Granted, I wouldn't want it to stop you form leaving someone unfinished for whatever reason, but it would be nice to get a warning that you were not done to prevent mistakes.