Sign in to follow this  
ruger9

when are "field days" to get license?

I've been considering getting my hunting license, if only so I can make use of the WMAs for shotgun practice, but a buddy told me the "field days" are only held in march? Is this right, or do they hold them year round? Just want to time my taking the class to whenever the field days are offered. I loooked on NJ DEP site, but couldn't find a schedule.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/hunted.htm

you need to complete the hunter education booklet and then schedule your field day. There you will do a field walk, shoot and take a written test.

In lieu of completing the booklet, I used huntercourse.com , created a profile and did the hunter ed online. It's free and easy. They won't post the schedule for the upcoming field days until after season, probably. just keep an eye on the link. In the meantime, go ahead and get either the written courseware or check out the huntercourse.com website to get started on the course.

http://www.state.nj..../fgw/hunted.htm

you need to complete the hunter education booklet and then schedule your field day. There you will do a field walk, shoot and take a written test.

In lieu of completing the booklet, I used huntercourse.com , created a profile and did the hunter ed online. It's free and easy. They won't post the schedule for the upcoming field days until after season, probably. just keep an eye on the link. In the meantime, go ahead and get either the written courseware or check out the huntercourse.com website to get started on the course.

That's my plan. Thanks guys.

Can you shoot anything besides shotgun and archery at the WMAs? Is it any hunting caliber, or...?

Shotgun, Archery, and Rifle. (.22 rimfire and Muzzleloading Rifle)

Best bet is to just shoot whatever THEY provide for the day. People who bring their own guns slow everything down. I had a guy with a ML that he'd never shot. Archery, you have to provide your own bow or crossbow with field points.

Thanks for the tip. I wasn't asking specifically about field day, I meant whenever I go shooting can I take anything else... truth be told, I won't be shooting my 12ga much, but I can shoot .22lr? Aw man I'll DEFINITELY take advantage of that!

The written test is amazingly easy, 60 or 70 question when I took the shotgun test finished in 6 minutes missed 1. It's horribly simple if you listen to the field walk they go over every question

My daughter passed it first try at 10 yrs old...

The written test has always been designed so that a 10 year-old could pass it. Youth represents hunting's future. The NJ education/training process has evolved over the years. All Hunter Education in the fifty states is Federally funded. Under the Pittman-Robertson Wildlife Restoration Act of 1937, up to 50% of the taxes on handguns, shotguns, rifles, bows, arrows and arrow components go towards Hunter Education.

Now, if the state of New Jersey (or every state for that matter) could only make their F&W Digest understandable so that a 10 year-old could interpret it, that would be a step forward. The dizzying array of regs, zones, permits, etc. make the process to understand what and when to hunt somewhat convoluted. Based upon experience, most adults can't comprehend the NJ Digest.

Other states are different on age restrictions. For example, New York is 12 years of age to acquire a junior license, and that's for small game only. It's not until age 14 that a NY junior license holder can hunt big game like deer or bear with a firearm.

Now, if the state of New Jersey (or every state for that matter) could only make their F&W Digest understandable so that a 10 year-old could interpret it, that would be a step forward. The dizzying array of regs, zones, permits, etc. make the process to understand what and when to hunt somewhat convoluted. Based upon experience, most adults can't comprehend the NJ Digest.

I swear a lawyer and a surveyor write the digest.

The Digest is burdensome. It is getting like that in every state. Years ago you had a pamphlet you could stick in your vest pocket and you knew what the guidelines were.

There is a good thread started on the NJH forum today titled; "If you could change one F&G law" that's been an interesting read. Many items highlight how things have evolved in the state, some good, and some not so good.

Looking at this page:

http://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/ranges.htm

I only see "shotgun" listed as far as firearms are concerned, with .22 caliber only mentioned for Clinton... can anyone verify if .22 rimfire rifles are OK across the board, or only at Clinton? If I get my hunting lic. to shoot, it would be at the Black River WMA... and if I can't take my .22 there, I won't waste my time.