Sign in to follow this  
deadeye74

Which Die Set For 308?

This is the set i use..has full length sizer die.. 2nd set this one is on my wish list when i get back into rifle shooting sometime in the near future..

http://www.midwayusa...-308-winchester

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/792423/redding-competition-bushing-3-die-neck-sizer-set-308-winchester

That can be tricky. I also load for M1A. My rifle does not need small base resizing dies. I try not to use them if I dont have too because they really work the brass more and shorten its usable life if you dont need them. Basically you will small size the brass then blow it back up to normal size every time you fire it. I do have 1 tight chambered AR that really prefers SB sized brass and one that doesnt care. Unfrotunatly theres no may to tell til you try.

Ken

That can be tricky. I also load for M1A. My rifle does not need small base resizing dies. I try not to use them if I dont have too because they really work the brass more and shorten its usable life if you dont need them. Basically you will small size the brass then blow it back up to normal size every time you fire it. I do have 1 tight chambered AR that really prefers SB sized brass and one that doesnt care. Unfrotunatly theres no may to tell til you try.

Ken

On average, how many times can you reload your rifle brass before it has to be retired to the scrap bucket?

I like redding dies. If you are starting out then I would get a full length resizing die. If you want to spend more money at the get go then get a redding full length S bushing die. You can customize the neck diameter w/ diff sized bushings that way you don't stress the case neck as much. You will need to buy a diff bushing for each brand of brass you use though b/c they all resize differently.

Brass life depends on brand of brass. Federal brass is very soft so I only reload 5x at the most. Winchester and black hills is great brass and will last much longer, maybe 20-25x. Lake city also heavy duty. Lapua is the best and most expensive. You can reload 40-50x though.

On average, how many times can you reload your rifle brass before it has to be retired to the scrap bucket?

The M1a will have the brass all chewed to hell by the 6th go around. Most people (myself included) dont go past that. The numbers BullzeyeNJ posted can be had with a bolt gun but not the M1a.

Ken

The M1a will have the brass all chewed to hell by the 6th go around. Most people (myself included) dont go past that. The numbers BullzeyeNJ posted can be had with a bolt gun but not the M1a.

Ken

i agree here the m1a chews the hell out of brass but if its your brass and your specific rifle you should be able to only neck size and bump the shoulder