Sign in to follow this  
Shane45

Unintended Consequences

So is Obama going to go in the Guiness Book of records for being responsible for the most AR sales in history? He already is jokingly called gun salesman of the year but this time he got the whole internet sold out!!!!! I have a lot of "connections". I tried to help out some fellow Jerseyan's and get a handfull of AR's out of a cancelled order I was aware of. A BIG cancelled order. 60,000 units. They were spoken for in its entirety within 24 hours! I have heard distribuler level figures of moving 175,000 units in just a few days. I do not have any actual verifications of these numbers but catching a few comments from Seekins precision, they have a pretty high manufacturing capacity and are so far behind that they are simply backordered with no way to provide ANY eta. Previously it was 6 to 8 months a few days ago. I think the American public has voted witht their wallet! So I have a hard time digesting the idea that "most Americans" are for banning these types of rifles. How many have sold since the president made his announcement? How many have sold over the last 5 years in anticipation of a gun grabing administration? 500,000? 1,000,000?

But with all those sales, should those of us that are dedicated shooters have a worry? What are the unintended consequesnces that might lie in store for us? It goes without saying that times like these sure make practice tough! I dont want to use up my ammo because Im not sure when I will be able to replace it!!! Need a part to fix something, good luck! Dealers that focus mostly on semiauto rifles are probably going to be sitting around staring at each other soon with nothing left to sell. Manufacturers are in a real pickle! Do they put 3 or 4 more machines on the floor at $150,000 each before tooling only to run the risk of an executive order that will close the doors on them? But I think these are the stories Im hearing that give me real concern. When I hear about soccer moms buying LWRC Reapers that have NO IDEA what they are even buying, it does give me some concern. Im concerned because society has become so anti gun, that many simply do not have the respect for firearms that they should. They have had zero exposure So enter the soccer mom that plunked down over 4k for a reaper....it gives me some concern. What else should we be concerned about as an unintended consequence?

So is Obama going to go in the Guiness Book of records for being responsible for the most AR sales in history? He already is jokingly called gun salesman of the year but this time he got the whole internet sold out!!!!! I have a lot of "connections". I tried to get a handfull of AR's out of a cancelled order I was aware of. A BIG cancelled order. 60,000 units. They were spoken for in its entirety within 24 hours! I have heard distribuler level figures of moving 175,000 units in just a few days. I do not have any actual verifications of these numbers but catching a few comments from Seekins precision, they have a pretty high manufacturing capacity and are so far behind that they are simply backordered with no way to provide ANY eta. Previously it was 6 to 8 months a few days ago. I think the American public has voted witht their wallet! So I have a hard time digesting the idea that "most Americans" are for banning these types of rifles. How many have sold since the president made his announcement? How many have sold over the last 5 years in anticipation of a gun grabing administration? 500,000? 1,000,000?

But with all those sales, should those of us that are dedicated shooters have a worry? What are the unintended consequesnces that might lie in store for us? It goes without saying that times like these sure make practice tough! I dont want to use up my ammo because Im not sure when I will be able to replace it!!! Need a part to fix something, good luck! Dealers that focus mostly on semiauto rifles are probably going to be sitting around staring at each other soon with nothing left to sell. Manufacturers are in a real pickle! Do they put 3 or 4 more machines on the floor at $150,000 each before tooling only to run the risk of an executive order that will close the doors on them? But I think these are the stories Im hearing that give me real concern. When I hear about soccer moms buying LWRC Reapers that have NO IDEA what they are even buying, it does give me some concern. Im concerned because society has become so anti gun, that many simply do not have the respect for firearms that they should. They have had zero exposure So enter the soccer mom that plunked down over 4k for a reaper....it gives me some concern. What else should we be concerned about as an unintended consequence?

An executive order is doubtful. I don't think Obama is stupid enough to see the amounts of buying happening and still think a plan of action like that is feasible. Besides, if he did do it, there is an extremely high chance of it being blocked by the courts.

Im not really focusing on the legal side of things. Im talking about the unintended result of AR sales and what might be in store for us when there is a percentage of folks that now ran out and bought who are barely sure which end is the dangerouse one. The fact of the mater is that stupidity and criminal/homicidal activity is the enemy of our rights.

also with all of these rifles and firearms purchased by inexperienced people are they going to be secured and locked in a safe, or are they going ot be put in the closet or under the mattress to just be forgotten about. Many more firearms might be stolen due to home invasions now. because these inexperienced people are buying firearms without the knowledge of how to secure them and make them safe. I see your point here ray

Im not really focusing on the legal side of things. Im talking about the unintended result of AR sales and what might be in store for us when there is a percentage of folks that now ran out and bought who are barely sure which end is the dangerouse one. The fact of the mater is that stupidity and criminal/homicidal activity is the enemy of our rights.

A few weeks ago I was discussing this with a co-worker. I know everyone is happy that people are out purchasing firearms at a record rate and showing support for 2A ideas. But that also adds into the fact that there are far more ignorant users purchasing these firearms(from revolvers to modern muskets). These new users are impulse buying and have little training of firearms and I fear we will see more accidental shootings which will surely damage our argument.

Well, In NJ, anyway, the 'impulse buyer' at least has an FPID. Where some states might literally have MILF soccer mom going to Bass Pro on the way home from picking the kids up from school, and buying a black rifle on the spot, NJ Guidette Soccah Mawm gotta have that card first. I AM 100% certain though, Shane, that a lot of the ammo and ARs & parts of same have been bought up by speculators in this crazed environment.

I don't know.

On one hand there could be consequences, because if people who don't need/know guns start buying them - sooner or later there will be a problem.

On another hand in NJ it takes on average 2-3 months to get FID, so our panic buyers just getting their fingerprints done...

If someone in NJ have had FID before the panic - chances are he/she knows his/her way around weapons and if he/she bought an extra rifle/handgun/shotgun/ammo - most likely it wouldn't be a problem.

However, on the national level, we might see some consequences in weeks/years to come.