tony357

E15 car owners may have issues..

What the synopsis Tony??

My Dodge Ram is a E85 dual fuel vehicle....whats the scoop...

You will not have any issues. cars not designed for e type fuels. My boys truck will not run on wawa gas it has too high ethanol in it. i have tested our local wawa fuel as high as 20%.

when ever a boat comes in with fuel related problems 1st thing i do is test the fuel and pump out a 1 gallon test container of fuel and look at it for contamination or separation.

How can u tell how much ethenol is in the gas? Is there somewhere to check with stations dont have it?

I have a test beaker to check it.. Made by Mallory marine products.

Their are no NJ stations that have fuel without ethanol.

Their is a website for stations in other states.

here it is

http://pure-gas.org/

I still cant understand why they made any switch. It cost consumers so much more money... Thats why it cost consumers so much money.

Politics,

Midwest politicians wanted this to help the farmers. So what we get is, less efficient fuel that damages engines and higher food prices. :negative:

Ethanol is the worst thing I have seen with my small engines, nothing but problems because of it.

It's great for race engines though. It burns cooler, is less prone to detonation and takes much more timing. It's effectively race gas for a street car. It is crack cocaine for the DIY automobile tuning enthusiast.

It's tough to make an argument for subsidies though -- even before the majority of corn production was diverted to produce ethanol. Subsidies rarely accomplish remedying the problems that they intend to fix and they usually exacerbate the original problem. Incredibly stupid that we purchase imported gasoline for our cars at a higher price than we export ethanol that was actually produced with our tax dollars.

Yea it would be nice to have e85. I would have to change up all my motor builds. What the best PROVEN way to treat this crap gas that sits for a few months?

The engines will not last as long as gas engines, mainly from the corrosive fuel eating at the bearings and aluminum pistons..

I am waiting to see reports on any engines running e=85 for over 1000,000 miles..Gas engines today will make it 3000,000+

racers run their alky engines on gas after racing and change the oil and then fog out the motor to preserve it..i have read of guys changing over to e-85 with some eco-tec engines but nothing has lasted for good results..

The engines will not last as long as gas engines, mainly from the corrosive fuel eating at the bearings and aluminum pistons..

I am waiting to see reports on any engines running e=85 for over 1000,000 miles..Gas engines today will make it 3000,000+

racers run their alky engines on gas after racing and change the oil and then fog out the motor to preserve it..i have read of guys changing over to e-85 with some eco-tec engines but nothing has lasted for good results..

I have a friend with an evo9 running solely on e85 for 50k nopw and he hasen't had any problems...

well not fuel related anyway.

Truth!

Yes please I'll take 20psi on a 12:1 SCR with pump fuel :D

Oh how the miata would love it!

Fellow addict! Scooby and Ford here

Wow I never know the E85 ate motors up like that. All I knew is it was cheaper, more octane, less mpg. I see a lot of people in the offroad world running it casue of the power you can make cheap.

I run an oil analysis every single oil change on my engines and nothing out of the ordinary except the occasional >= 0.5% fuel, flashpoint lower than 375F and slightly anemic oil viscosity. These are things you normally see driving hard on a built engine regardless of fuel choice. Iron and lead are both in the range of 40 ppm (tri-metal bearings) compared to 10 and 5 ppm, respectively, on an OE engine. I believe ethanol might be more corrosive to iron than methanol which I use. The key is to change your oil on an more frequent schedule and definitely after every track day. I've spun my bearings 4 times running 25% methanol but the alcohol was never the cause. Realistically you're not going to go near 1,000,000 miles driving a built engine as intended. Even reaching 100,000 miles would call for a ticker tape parade.

Fellow addict! Scooby and Ford here

Nice, what ford?

I've got a miata and vette...but they're both stock. All my money (the little bit I have lol) and effort is too busy being used on my stupid ass truck that I just decided had had to quicker then all the cars at the local car meet lol. Way to much money later and its still not even close... but damn its fun.

milkrek1.jpg

Thats right after I launched.... that front corssmember is usually about 3.5-4" off the ground

Nice, what ford?

I've got a miata and vette...but they're both stock. All my money (the little bit I have lol) and effort is too busy being used on my stupid ass truck that I just decided had had to quicker then all the cars at the local car meet lol. Way to much money later and its still not even close... but damn its fun.

milkrek1.jpg

Thats right after I launched.... that front corssmember is usually about 3.5-4" off the ground

Sweet, I love me a quick truck

My Ford is a 89 XR4Ti (2.3 turbo) with downpipe, cams, Aquamist injection, Megasquirt. Getting teared down this winter for a rebuild, can't wait

Nice! I love those 2.3's! I just bought a ranger with one and everyone keeps telling me to buy the turbo and mani off one of the stangs haha.

How do you like the megasquirt? I want to get one for the miata after I swap it with a 1.8L. I'm new to the idea of whole aftermarket ecm's... In my truck I use efilive to reflash the factory ecm/tcm

Yeah the 2.3 is a great engine. You can make 300-400 WHP without too much sweat which is probably good for a 12-13 second 1/4. I would swap the whole motor with a turbo version with forged pistons if you can -- junkyards practically give them away. The NA motor will only take 5 PSI (reliably)

The Megasquirt is amazing. I bought this kit and soldered it together: http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/diypnp-ford-60-pin-eeciv-unassembled-kit-p-421.html .. Absolutely love it. Next project for the Megasquirt is getting rid of the distributor and TFI