FocuzMan

Just got USA Tactical Lower, now what?

i have been in the market for an AR for a while. Now that i have the money, prices are rediculous if u can find a complete AR. I came across Bullseye Tactical and the had USA Tactical Lower receivers on order. The are not price gouging and i decided, what the hell, i might as well build it myself so i can have it exactly how i want it. My mai question is, now what?

I have never built an AR, nor have had much experiance with them. I am very mechenically inclined, i fix my own cars and have 10 yrs exp in construction.

This is what i bought and i know i need a boat load of parts, any help would be apprecieated.

http://usatacticalfirearms.mybigcommerce.com/products/USA%252d15-%28AR%252d15%29-Stripped-Lower-Receiver.html

IF that is what you bought, the price is a bit gougy. 4 months ago, probably $80-125 max.

REgardless, you need a lower parts kit, buffer, receiver extension, buffer spring, and a stock. Then you need ot put it together which requires a hammer and a couple punches.

My New Frontier poly lower shipped, I've got a tracking # and it should be at Mastodon by like next Wednesday. I ordered the PSA complete kit with LPK, buffer tube and Magpul MOE stock and pistol grip.

The only place that seems to have uppers "in-stock" is rguns.net and they're fairly reasonable considering the climate. Reviews are mixed though so I'm waiting at least until I have all the lower stuff in hand to see what is or isn't available.

Funny how the possible ban and run on all things guns has got so many of us building our first AR.

MC

I recently received my FID and this the first chance i have to buy before potential lesgislative bans/laws that may affect the future of me being able to own an AR. That being said, this was the first lower i have found not selling for $400 and i bought it, because someone else will.

Thanks for the responces and i am continuing to search for parts to build this AR. As far as gouging i mean that Bullseye isn't, the manufacturer, maybe not so much. I know the effects of supply and demand, demand goes up and supply goes down, prices rise. I dont want to pay more, but that unfortunatly what the current market is allowing. I want to put quality parts in this custom build. If i wanted a basic ar, i would have purchased a prebuilt AR for the rediculous price of $2k, at least from what i have seen available.

Any help is appreciated on parts/manufacturers to avoid.

For LPKs the general "top notch" companies are Colt / DD / LMT. PSA has full lower kits right now though available on their site. All you would need is the AR tool to tighten down the castle nut, punches, hammer, torque wrench, and something to stake the castle nut.

Most manufacturer stripped uppers are fine... ones i would buy would be (BCM, Stag, Spikes tactical, CMMG, DD , LMT, etc..) I have a CMMG lower married nicely to a stag upper. Only thing u have to look out for is really an aesthetic thing with the actual finish. CMMG recievers have an extra coat on them that gives off a slight shine which i find to look good. Most manufactures make them flat finish like my stag upper.

thanks for the info. I want to build the entire gun, so i know how to replace/repair in the future. I am definatly liking the DD complete upper, maybe if it comes in-stock in the next month ill get it. Othewise ill stay on track with the custom build for sure

Building an upper is definitely a lot more work than building a lower and definitely need more tools. I got a virgin barrel and a front sight that does not have holes for taper pins yet. I think this is getting dropped off with a gun smith as this is beyond what I feel comfortable doing.

My New Frontier poly lower shipped, I've got a tracking # and it should be at Mastodon by like next Wednesday. I ordered the PSA complete kit with LPK, buffer tube and Magpul MOE stock and pistol grip.

The only place that seems to have uppers "in-stock" is rguns.net and they're fairly reasonable considering the climate. Reviews are mixed though so I'm waiting at least until I have all the lower stuff in hand to see what is or isn't available.

Funny how the possible ban and run on all things guns has got so many of us building our first AR.

MC

The exact upper I wanted popped in stock at PSA. http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/m4-ss12g2-16-cmv-chrome-lined-stripped-railed-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

Having it shipped to my office in PA, and the gun will stay in my PA apartment so should be ok. Will be a PA resident by summer, once I find a house and move my family out there.

Now I just need a BCG and charging handle.

MC

The exact upper I wanted popped in stock at PSA. http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/m4-ss12g2-16-cmv-chrome-lined-stripped-railed-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

Having it shipped to my office in PA, and the gun will stay in my PA apartment so should be ok. Will be a PA resident by summer, once I find a house and move my family out there.

Now I just need a BCG and charging handle.

MC

Congrats on the escape! Lol

My stripped upper just shipped for Aero Precision yesterday. Should be here Monday. Picking the lower up sometime this week, now just waiting for PSA to ship my lower kit. Now I have to find a bcg, gas or piston setup, charging handle, dust cover, foward assist, barrel, muzzle break and a hand guard.

Missing anything?

It's been a while, time for an update. I have received the PSA classic LPK and lower receiver. I have assembled it.( fairly easily) I also have a aero precision stripped upper.

I have tried to pre-fit the upper on my assembled lower and it's a no go. Extremely tight. I'm pretty sure I can make it fit, but then I wouldn't be able to remove it. I am debating on getting a brass brush and removing some of the coating where the pins are going through to make it fit. Any and all recommendations/solutions are appreciated.

Thanks J

It's been a few more weeks and I have completed the build, well 90% anyway. I am on the search for a mil-spec BCG and some optics. This build was fun and I learned a ton about how an AR15 works. This is a build I would recomend for those who are good with tools. Not that its difficult, knowing the basics goes a long way. Pictures on the way.

Lower Build

Just subscribed to this, I'll be starting a build here soon. I'm looking at a complete upper though as I don't have the tools to put it all together.

Just purchased my first lower. I can't really build it until I move to SC this summer because I am going to build a non-NJ Compliant rifle since my new state that I'm moving to is a free state. Doing research now searching for parts. Have a BCG lined up from a forum member who was nice enough to help me out.