pcc_1028

Picking up first firearm tomorrow. Need place to buy ammo.

After much debate I settled on a .40 cal FNS. Should have it by tomorrow and hope to give it some range time over the weekend. Anyone can recommend a good place to buy ammo locally? Not trying to over pay at the range.

Thanks

What range are you shooting at? where are you buying your gun?

Besides ordering something online, your always going to pay more in a brick and mortar store.

and the nation is currently in a buying frenzy, so alot of stuff is out of stock, or increased in prices.

check out sgammo.com for online buys. or check out east brunswick sportsmen, firearms guild in rahway, bullseye in woodbridge, but be prepared to pay a few bucks.

Where are you located?

I have a Dicks Sporting Goods Scorecard. I shoot about 150 rounds every week, so I usually load up at Dicks whenever there is a sale. Eventually, they will start sending you gift certificates and you can use that to buy more ammo.

You can also consider purchasing online. It's perfectly legal, although the seller may want a copy of your FID and they normally don't leave the order at the door.

One more thing, if this is your first gun, seriously consider purchasing a 9mm instead of a .40 cal. The .40 cal is a fine round, but it is about $3.00 more per box than 9mm.

If you are an LEO and get a couple of boxes of .40 cal when you qualify at the range, they by all means, go with it. But for most civilian purposes, 9mm works just fine.

One more thing, if this is your first gun, seriously consider purchasing a 9mm instead of a .40 cal. The .40 cal is a fine round, but it is about $3.00 more per box than 9mm.

lol I was gonna say a 22lr rimfire. luv mine. :wub:

4-6 cents per trigger pull. Figure to put 5000 rounds through just to practice the basics.

These days you need to buy the ammo before the gun. I bought a .22 mag and could not find ammo for it anywhere nearby and the best I could do was buy it online with a 4-6 week delay and I had to buy the expensive stuff.

Try Luckygunner.com online. They actually will ship next day if in stock. Also Midway ships fast. However unless you are buying a good number of rounds the shipping cost tend to negate any lower prices you may get online. If I just need a box or two, despite the high prices at my range, which sells decent commercial ammo at about $5 above online prices, it is a wash price wise and I get to shoot immediately rather than wait for the ammo to be delivered.

You can also consider purchasing online. It's perfectly legal, although the seller may want a copy of your FID and they normally don't leave the order at the door.

Cheapy and dirt does and so does cabelas, they leave them right on my front porch for anybody to take. :) seriously.

This isn't local, but Cabela's is good for online purchases. They don't require your FID on file, so just make sure on your part that everything's legal.

I bought 8mm Mauser from them as all European-brands of the said ammo were sold out everywhere, except for PRVI Partizan at Cabela's. Cheap, and shipping was much faster than I paid for.

Not to influence your buying decisions, and this being a free country, buy from whomever you feel confortable. Having said that, there's a couple of places mentioned in this thread that I will not buy from.

Dicks because they yanked the black scary rifles after their shelves after Newtown. Cheaper than dirt did the same thing. Also, CTD miraclously found a bunch of lowers for sale for about 200.00 each right after Pres Obama was done with his 23 EO speach. I'll probably shoot rocks out of my guns befor I buy from them.