Sign in to follow this  
ogfarmer

Anybody have any feedback on Ruger SR1911?

My brother has one in SS fit and finish is nice but the tolerences from the frame to the slide are lacking big time.

I finally got it in my hands because he lives out of state and I would not be happy with it. There is a big demand for

this 1911 why I do not know and Ruger did not have enough supply to mee the demand and started cranking them out

and that's when you get poor craftmans ship at a high cost.

I am not saying everyone of them is garbage, I am not even saying my brothers is but the quality does not fit the price point

in my opinion. I have a $900.00 Kimber and a $400,00 RIA and he was upset to see the RIA had much better fitting.

My brother has one in SS fit and finish is nice but the tolerences from the frame to the slide are lacking big time.

I finally got it in my hands because he lives out of state and I would not be happy with it. There is a big demand for

this 1911 why I do not know and Ruger did not have enough supply to mee the demand and started cranking them out

and that's when you get poor craftmans ship at a high cost.

I am not saying everyone of them is garbage, I am not even saying my brothers is but the quality does not fit the price point

in my opinion. I have a $900.00 Kimber and a $400,00 RIA and he was upset to see the RIA had much better fitting.

A little loose isn't a bad thing. A little more tolerance in the parts will often impart larger reliability as it will accomodate being run dirty and ammo that may have larger dimensional variances.

For example, I have a DW pointman 45 and its is bank vault TIGHT and because of that it is highly finicky with ammo it its not just right. If the mag is too tight or the gun is too dirty, feeding becomes the bigest issue as rounds come to a screeching halt during feeding. The gun does doesn't have the wiggle room to recover from a 3-point jam. Even after 1500 rounds I've had to sent it back to DW once for them to give it a once over "port and polish" to get things running smoother. After that it is a lot more tolerant and reliable but i still consider it more of a match grade range toy than all weather fighting weapon. My STI spartan, OTOH, is a little more loose and runs everything you throw at it even after upwards of 1000 rounds without a cleaning (barrel or frame rails). I wouldn't even remotely dream of doing that with the DW!

A little loose isn't a bad thing. A little more tolerance in the parts will often impart larger reliability as it will accomodate being run dirty and ammo that may have larger dimensional variances.

For example, I have a DW pointman 45 and its is bank vault TIGHT and because of that it is highly finicky with ammo it its not just right. If the mag is too tight or the gun is too dirty, feeding becomes the bigest issue as rounds come to a screeching halt during feeding. The gun does doesn't have the wiggle room to recover from a 3-point jam. Even after 1500 rounds I've had to sent it back to DW once for them to give it a once over "port and polish" to get things running smoother. After that it is a lot more tolerant and reliable but i still consider it more of a match grade range toy than all weather fighting weapon. My STI spartan, OTOH, is a little more loose and runs everything you throw at it even after upwards of 1000 rounds without a cleaning (barrel or frame rails). I wouldn't even remotely dream of doing that with the DW!

I agree with everything you are saying, I built my RIA from one of their stripped lowers and uppers, and as you know there is no such thing as a drop in part for a 1911 everything is hand fitted including 95% of all replacment parts. This firearm wrattles from the slide in your hand and you can shift the slide more then 2.5 thousands of an inch in either direction. It's slopy and slopy when it says Ruger on the slide should not happen.

Hodgie

Slide to frame fit has nothing to do with accuracy, been debated for a long time not unusual too see .006+ on frame to slide fittings especially stainless pistols as stainless steel tends to gall..

My oldest 1911 AMT hardballer has .0085 rail clearance and runs like a champ..

71757_1488018519617_1208575869_31104259_7231093_n.jpg