Joeyd6

Caliber consolidation

I am about to buy a few more guns and trying to settle an argument with myself. My long guns are all .5.56 or 12 gauge.

Hanguns, I own:

(3) 9mm handuns (S&W full, S&W compact, Glock sub-compact)

(1) .357 Sig 239, but also bougth the .40 barrel conversion

(1) .38 revolver

My ammo storage space is getting slim. I already maintain a large supply:

12g bird

12g buck

9 mm

.40 (1,000 of .40 just in case I switch barrels)

Due to my ammo storage space, and the fact of shortages and the potential problems, I was thinking about consolidating. Such as dumping .40 barrel and rounds. That would let me focus the money on 9 and .357 (which I shoot most). In addition I was thinking of getting two more guns:

1) Sig .229 in .357 or .40

2) SW Shield in 9 or .40

I have shot all, in every caliber and have no preference. Part of me says I "need" .40 in the arsenal. The other part says the .357 will do fine......dump the .40 ammo and barrel and buy new guns in 9 or 357.

Anyone else consolidate and dump a caiber to streamline the home arsenal?

I actually look at it another way - as ammo gets harder to find, having more calibers may turn out to be an advantage because the possibilities of finding something are better than if you only have one (or a few).

I use 9mm, .45acp, .40S&W, .357sig and 22lr. I can usually find something.

I actually look at it another way - as ammo gets harder to find, having more calibers may turn out to be an advantage because the possibilities of finding something are better than if you only have one (or a few).

This, i use 9mm, 40sw, 357mag, 45acp, 10mm...

While I have not been looking all that hard nor all that often, in the last month, I've obviously noticed that the 'common' ammo calibers were missing from almost all the stores I visited. I had stuck with common calibers due to lower cost and ease of finding the ammo, but I'd never considered how a rush on ammo would deplete stocks of these common calibers. I bought the last box of .45 at a store the day of the shooting (before knowing how bad it would be), I was in line behind a guy buying the last boxes of 9mm at another store the week after. I did notice that the 'less common' calibers were still in stock - the .357sig, .40S&W, even some 10mm if I remember correctly.

I am now waiting on NICS to come back on my new .40 Glock 23 Gen4. I think I will begin to expand to other calibers, perhaps including .357Sig and maybe even 10mm. I enjoy shooting .22LR too, so I seem to buy a brick almost every time I visit to a store.

I was just thinking of this. If you look online you tend to see plenty of 44 Special and Magnum available. Dicks has .40 Cal available behind the counter.

I've consolidated to 9mm, 45 ACP, 12 Gauge and .22 and I think that pretty much covers the spectrum of shooting for now.

Great point and I pulled the trigger on the S&W Shield in .40. I didn't get Atlantaic Tactical's great price of $319, but I got retail at $449 from another vendor and East Brunswick Sportsman doing the transfer.

I have consolidated a little: my belief is that I need at least 2 guns that shoot the same caliber and for the most part, a caliber I already own. I also like guns that share magazines so I can consolidate the mags as well. I'm waiting on 3 guns that fit this desire. I have 22's, some 10/22's (waiting on a pistol that uses these mags). 9mm's, including a S&W 5906 (and a kel Tec that uses these mags I've been waiting for - for 6+ months). 40S&W including a Ruger P94 and a PC4. 45's including a 1911 (ordering a kit to turn an old Mauser into a bolt 45 using 1911 mags). 38/357's. 223's, (I'm liking the Mossberg MVP (bolt gun uses AR mags). 7.62x54R Mosin Nagants (awaiting an AK like carbine that uses this caliber). I have a couple other calibers as well. I have a few guns that don't fit this and am looking to part with them. I like having a variety of rounds so that if one becomes too difficult to find, I can shoot others.

I am about to buy a few more guns and trying to settle an argument with myself. My long guns are all .5.56 or 12 gauge.

Hanguns, I own:

(3) 9mm handuns (S&W full, S&W compact, Glock sub-compact)

(1) .357 Sig 239, but also bougth the .40 barrel conversion

(1) .38 revolver

My ammo storage space is getting slim. I already maintain a large supply:

12g bird

12g buck

9 mm

.40 (1,000 of .40 just in case I switch barrels)

Due to my ammo storage space, and the fact of shortages and the potential problems, I was thinking about consolidating. Such as dumping .40 barrel and rounds. That would let me focus the money on 9 and .357 (which I shoot most). In addition I was thinking of getting two more guns:

1) Sig .229 in .357 or .40

2) SW Shield in 9 or .40

I have shot all, in every caliber and have no preference. Part of me says I "need" .40 in the arsenal. The other part says the .357 will do fine......dump the .40 ammo and barrel and buy new guns in 9 or 357.

Anyone else consolidate and dump a caiber to streamline the home arsenal?

9mm is not as effective as a 45 for 1 shot stopping power...And with our society leaning towards smaller magazines one may argue the 9mm (big advantage) is gone...I have a similiar problem as you trying to decisde what rifles/pistols to buy...More is good just to piss off the GunGrabers but I have to practical alos with amo storage...I am totally into stopping powers so I have settled on:

45 acp for all my hand guns

12 Guage recently aquired to fill gap btwn above and below -00buck and slugs

M1A .308

How is that for stopping power?

(Oh yea, I also have a 44 mag - just in case a bear breaks in ;-))