mag1

AICS Rem 700 Base Build

Here is the base build I went with. This rifle is still in the works, but pretty sure I can do some damage with it as is!

Gotta thank Shane45 for the advice though. And yes, this one is heavy, not sure of the weight as of yet.

Rifle is still unfired.

This rifle started out as a Remington 700 ADL .308 with 26" barrel and bought a AICS 2.0 chassis with viperskins. Scope is a Vortex PST 6-24 x 50mm mil/mil FFP. Atlas bipod w spigot. 20 MOA TRS mount. IOR rings. AICS 5 round magazine. Cheek piece thumb screw are in route.

It will be going to GAP in a couple weeks most likely for a re-barrel and all the stuff that goes with it ($700).

I originally had the Vortex Razor HD 5-20 on it, but i did not see that much of a difference between it and the PST (espeically for what I need it to do), so I sold the Razor. That saved me about $1000 that way and as of right now, I do not regret it. If this scope doesn't do it for me, just going to get a nightforce.

I swapped out a Harris S-BRM and put an Atlas bipod w spigot on it. Mounted way up front..Love this bipod. Just a better bipod all around, but will definitely know after I can use it in action. I have been doing alot of pretend drills, lol.

Here are some pics..

Looks like you have a real solid platform there! Pretend drills AKA dryfire practice is severely under rated. I highly recomend it. My only critique, I would have kept the Razor over the PST.

I went back and forth with both scopes, and I didn't see much of a difference in the glass.

I'll mess witht the pst for a bit, then upgrade.

I like the choices you made. The razor has the better glass but if your not seeing the difference yourself at the distances you will be shooting then you saved some money.

Have you shot this rifle at all? Is GAP going to blueprint and true the action as well?

I like the choices you made. The razor has the better glass but if your not seeing the difference yourself at the distances you will be shooting then you saved some money.

Have you shot this rifle at all? Is GAP going to blueprint and true the action as well?

Going shooting on Thursday. I have the money set aside to send to GAP, just waiting on their reply on the barrel. I know they are swamped, so no rush.

The advice they keep giving me is to change out the barrel, they just will not give me advice on what length to go with. They said it is up to me, so still deciding. I would like to get the barrel and bolt fluted, and decide on a break.

Personally I would see how it shoots first before spending a bunch of money at GAP.

My first bolt rifle was a Rem 700P police sniper rifle in 308. I still own that rifle today and its completely stock with its factory barrel and action. I also own or have owned many custom rilfe builds that have cost many times more then this factory 700P. Let me tell you, the 700P will shoot all day long with Federal 168gr or 175gr gold match ammo at 1/4 MOA. I cant say that for some of my pricey custom guns. I have thought about getting the action trued and it re-barreled but why should I spend the money?

If you do get it re-barreled then I would go with a 22". And if you get it threaded with a comp then go with an APA little bastard brake. That brake is the best I have used but its loud. Here is a picture of my 22" barrel with the little bastard...

DPP_0002.jpg

Personally I would see how it shoots first before spending a bunch of money at GAP.

My first bolt rifle was a Rem 700P police sniper rifle in 308. I still own that rifle today and its completely stock with its factory barrel and action. I also own or have owned many custom rilfe builds that have cost many times more then this factory 700P. Let me tell you, the 700P will shoot all day long with Federal 168gr or 175gr gold match ammo at 1/4 MOA. I cant say that for some of my pricey custom guns. I have thought about getting the action trued and it re-barreled but why should I spend the money?

If you do get it re-barreled then I would go with a 22". And if you get it threaded with a comp then go with an APA little bastard brake. That brake is the best I have used but its loud. Here is a picture of my 22" barrel with the little bastard...

DPP_0002.jpg

I saw this rifle before, very nice. Prob on here, right?

I saw this rifle before, very nice. Prob on here, right?

Thanks. Yes, posted that picture last year. I like this setup alot but it doesnt shoot any better than my factory Rem 700P. Thats saying alot though since both rifles will print bughole sized groups with little effort.

If you need mags, look at Alpha Industries 10 rounders. I have had great success with them.

Here is a picture of a fluted barrel. Karl Kampfeld did this one for me. He does exceptional work. Rifle is a 6.5x47L caliber built by Jon Beanland. Action is a Stiller Tac 30 AW (rem 700 clone). Barrel length is 20". Barrel is threaded but wears a cap.

DPP_0004.jpg

DPP_0002.jpg

Here is a picture of a fluted barrel. Karl Kampfeld did this one for me. He does exceptional work. Rifle is a 6.5x47L caliber built by Jon Beanland. Action is a Stiller Tac 30 AW (rem 700 clone). Barrel length is 20". Barrel is threaded but wears a cap.

DPP_0004.jpg

DPP_0002.jpg

I hear good things about him..Thanks for the pics!!!!