Sign in to follow this  
Templar

any arisaka collectors

I am a collector. My favorite are type 99 7th series. I would love own a type 38 and 44 one day. I like to shoot mine also i find the wood butplates on late war 99 to be punishing to the shoulder. Has any seen or shot the elusive Mexican arisaka in 7mmthis mauser

hmm, I may need to send you some pics then. I was given another type 99 and a type 38 (I think) the other day by a friend. The 99 is partially sportered but a new stock is on the way and the 38 is 100% matching including dust cover and intact mum. Anyone know any good Jap collector sites? I will admit I know JACK about Japs.

hmm, I may need to send you some pics then. I was given another type 99 and a type 38 (I think) the other day by a friend. The 99 is partially sportered but a new stock is on the way and the 38 is 100% matching including dust cover and intact mum. Anyone know any good Jap collector sites? I will admit I know JACK about Japs.

+1 i have a type 99 also, numbers matching with the dust cover and mum intact as well as the anti aircraft sights. But thats all i know about it and would like to know more

Some sites to help

http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?52-Firearms-Of-The-Rising-Sun

The folks on that forum are very knowledgeable oj japanese weapons

http://www.castle-thunder.com/series.htm

This will help you with markings

Also Military Rifles of Japan Fred L., Jr. Honeycutt

Is sort of the bible of arisaka collecting

Here is a good article on what the Japanese might of used to put a finish on their rifle stocks.

http://www.gunboards...date_M99_finish

Thats pretty cool information. I've been thinking about redoing my stock because of some gouges and nicks in it, but now I'm not so sure about doing it.

I have a 99 my grandfather brought home from Guam. It was in my grandmothers attic for 40 years and I stumbled across it looking for Christmas decorations. Also managed to find Army Air Corp paperwork approving it to come back to U.S. The mum is fully intact and so are other markings. Unfortunately, I think the barrel is not in any shape to fire, so it's a wall hanger.

I have a 99 my grandfather brought home from Guam. It was in my grandmothers attic for 40 years and I stumbled across it looking for Christmas decorations. Also managed to find Army Air Corp paperwork approving it to come back to U.S. The mum is fully intact and so are other markings. Unfortunately, I think the barrel is not in any shape to fire, so it's a wall hanger.

Ummm that's definitely worth some coin and probably worth even more in sentimental value. I WISH I had something like that.

Ummm that's definitely worth some coin and probably worth even more in sentimental value. I WISH I had something like that.

Definitely has the sentimental value, I really wish I could shoot it though, but not worth taking a chance on destroying it or worse. I'm actually looking at getting another one that I can shoot.

The arisakas had chrome lined barrels (unless it was a last ditch), did you at least try to clean the bore? I had a few older rifles I thought had sewer pipes for barrels. Once they were cleaned for the first time in a long time I found they had some really nice bores. Apparently the spiderwebs and attic dust just made it look really bad.

Capture papers definitely add some prominence to the rifle. Couple that with a matching numbers rifle, and having all the accoutrements (cleaning rod, bipod, sling, bayonet, antiaircraft sights), will really add some $$$.

DO NOT GET ANY FUNNY IDEAS OF SANDING, SCRAPING, VARNISHING, SPORTERIZING, REMOVING, ETC until you educate yourself on what you have, and then really think about it some more.

The arisakas had chrome lined barrels (unless it was a last ditch), did you at least try to clean the bore? I had a few older rifles I thought had sewer pipes for barrels. Once they were cleaned for the first time in a long time I found they had some really nice bores. Apparently the spiderwebs and attic dust just made it look really bad.

Capture papers definitely add some prominence to the rifle. Couple that with a matching numbers rifle, and having all the accoutrements (cleaning rod, bipod, sling, bayonet, antiaircraft sights), will really add some $$$.

DO NOT GET ANY FUNNY IDEAS OF SANDING, SCRAPING, VARNISHING, SPORTERIZING, REMOVING, ETC until you educate yourself on what you have, and then really think about it some more.

I have the sling and sights, but no cleaning rod or bayonet. I want to leave it just the way it is, no modification. I did try and clean the bore out. Rifling is very prominent in the barrel when you stick a bore light in it. I was getting a rusty sludge coming out of it at first and then just rusty/dirt covered swatches. I really did not want to go way in depth with cleaning/tear down because I did not want to break anything. Is there anyone you could recommend to look at and see if it can be cleaned up? I wasn't sure if a gun smith would be the right way to go.

You could try a gun smith, but honestly I'd just clean the bore. Get a good rust remover, and lube and go to town. If its chrome lined, it'll clean up nice and should be in OK shape. Just slug the bore to make sure its still in spec (.312-.315 diameter)

ETA: DO NOT SAND THE STOCK! There is a link a few posts up that tell you what the varnish is made of, and its derived from Summac sap. Causes nasty rashes and an unholy itchiness.

You can use rubbing alcohol 90% to clean the bore, or hoppes. You can use a nylon or brass bore brush to loosen up the grit in there. Then use a jag with patches to clean out the bore. If the barrel is chrome lined, there should not be any rust, probably a lot of dirt/dust/spider webs in there. PM me if you want help.

Perfect thread to ask question.

I was at Sarco a few weeks back, and had a 6.5 Jap rifle. I don't know the model it was short, carbine size, the mum was intact. They were asking $4000, that price tag blew my skirt up, I asked the one guy who I'm friendly with about the price and he couldn't give me a real good answer.

Does anyone know what the hell I was actually looking at that would warrant that price tag?

I was at Sarco a few weeks back, and had a 6.5 Jap rifle. I don't know the model it was short, carbine size, the mum was intact. They were asking $4000, that price tag blew my skirt up, I asked the one guy who I'm friendly with about the price and he couldn't give me a real good answer.

Does anyone know what the hell I was actually looking at that would warrant that price tag?

With out seeing pictures I could not say.

It had better have been an intact Type 44 Cavalry Carbine or Type 1 Naval Rifle. For that price it had better be trimmed in gold, and blessed by the pope.