Sign in to follow this  
Lalo

Legality of S&W 15-22P

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_766315_-1_757996_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

If you were to replace the flash hider with a brake, would this pistol be legal to own in NJ? I can see it says restricted for sale in NJ, etc, but why?

Barrel Length: 6" / 15.2 cm

Overall Length: 15" / 38.1 cm

Weight: 51 oz. / 1,445.8 g

ii. A semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at

least two of the following:

(1) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(2) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor,

forward handgrip, or silencer;

(3) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and

that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being

burned;

(4) Manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and/or

(5) A semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm; and

It has 4 evil features. You're only allowed one.

The first glaring reason would be the 25 round magazine. It would need to be pinned to hold 15 rounds. Other than that, I don't see anything making it illegal here.

But I'm no expert so don't quote me :-p

Right, sorry, besides from that and the flash hider. I have a 15-22 and plenty of 10 & 15 round mags. Would be awesome to find a pistol AR to share the mags.

Weighs too much. Needs to be under 50 oz.

Was also thinking this but being that I own a 15-22, I know the metal front and rear sights are pretty heavy. What if they're replaces with a set of MBUS?

That's awesome Lalo, too bad we can't have it, but with out the iron sights it might make it to less than 50 ounces

well you would need to lose the front rail... I bet that weighs more than an ounce.. that might get you under the 50.. keep in mind TECHNICALLY it says a "manufactured weight".. so the weight it is at time of manufacturing might be what matters...

If u loose that front end and have the barrel crowned with no flash hider due to weight absolutely nj legal

are you sure?

define "manufactured weight" they may go by the actual weight at time of manufacturing to avoid having to carry around a scale.. lol

well you would need to lose the front rail... I bet that weighs more than an ounce.. that might get you under the 50.. keep in mind TECHNICALLY it says a "manufactured weight".. so the weight it is at time of manufacturing might be what matters...

Crap... Why do you have to instantly crush our dreams of owning something cool with your "FACTS" vladtepes? Huh? Why? :(

Is it possible if an FFL in NJ gets one and modifies it himself then sell it in his store? Possibly?

are you sure?

define "manufactured weight" they may go by the actual weight at time of manufacturing to avoid having to carry around a scale.. lol

That flash hider is an easy 1oz... so.if I was removed and the barrel crowned why not...

Crap... Why do you have to instantly crush our dreams of owning something cool with your "FACTS" vladtepes? Huh? Why? :(

Is it possible if an FFL in NJ gets one and modifies it himself then sell it in his store? Possibly?

they would have to manufacture a new firearm out of an old one.... I am not sure how that works in NJ.. but they would at least need to be an FFL07 ( I think)

That flash hider is an easy 1oz... so.if I was removed and the barrel crowned why not...

I believe the issue is NJ is not concerned about what it actually weighs.. it is not relevant to them in any way.. they are not interested in helping you along the path to a gun that complies.. they are instead looking for a reason to tell you it does not comply... the wording of the law cites manufactured weight.. likely as reported by the manufacturer.. flash hider.. empty mag.. etc.. all moot.. the manufacture states the gun is over 50 ounces.. so there it is.. that is all they care about.. sucks.. but pretty sure that is the situation..