DMahan

Getting into reloading

I'm looking to get into reloading to cut down the costs of shooting my glock 22, and I have a couple questions about the whole process. I've spent the last couple days watching videos and reading up on the subject, but I want to make sure that I have it down correctly before I go out and purchase everything. This is what I have on my radar as of right now:

Past that I'm quite clueless. I have plenty of brass, but I don't know which kind of primers I would need, and is their a certain powder? Other than the obvious .40 caliber, any specific type of bullets?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Start with a couple good manuals. The ABC's of Reloading, and I like Hornandy's 9th(?) Edition of reloading...its the most current one. Once you get those two, start looking at powder, primers, and bullets. Thats the advice I got here, I followed it and it hasn't set me wrong yet.

If you plan on loading other calibers or rifle in the future, you may want to go with a more durable press. I use a RCBS Rock Chucker that is built like a tank and will last for years. I'm not saying that the Lee is bad, but you usually get what you pay for. The Rock Chucker Supreme Master kit comes with a powder measure, scale, priming tool, and a few other things for around 299 if you can find it on sale. I believe RCBS may still be giving a 50.00 rebate if you spend over 300.

The Lee 4 die sets are good since it comes with a factory crimp die which crimps and does a full-length size. Most of my die's are Lee 4 die sets.

Get several reloading books . Read up and get the steps down. You want to have a variety of recipes to compare.

You'll need small pistol primers for .40 S&W. HP38 or Win 231 (same thing) is a good powder to start with. It meters well in my powder measure and can be used in different calibers. I've used it for 9mm, .40 S&W, 38 SP, and .45ACP.

Stay safe.

My question would be how much ammo do you plan reloading? i.e., how many rounds do you envision reloading, IF you can find the supplies? I only ask because of your Single Stage press pick.. (not that there is anything wrong with a single stage press. I started on a Lee Turret press) http://www.midwayusa.com/product/785993/lee-4-hole-turret-press-with-auto-index-deluxe-kit.

I am by no means a reloading expert, but in my opinion, a single stage is great for rifle rounds where you are only making a few rounds at a time, but a turret is better suited for handgun rounds where you want to make batchs into the 100's at a time.. I now own a Dillion XL650 for handgun loads and will most likely set up my turret for rifle soon..

like everyone else stated, READ READ READ.. don't rush, it's not a race.. be safe

I own A Lee Challenger Press, A Lee Breech Lock Challenger Press and a Lee 4 Station Auto Indexing Turret Press. I Guess you could say I like Lee products, I will only say If I spennt $200 or a $1000 on a press and I loaded 40 s&w the end result from both machines will be identical 40 S&W ammo. :shocked:

I can do 200 rounds an hour with my Turret press without breaking a sweat. But im sure those progressives can probably do that in 20 to 30 mins.

If your looking for a Lee Single stage you may want to consider the Lee Turret press as it can be used as a single stage press.

Speaking about books Richard Lee's Modern Reloading 2nd edition is a good read especially if your using Lee porducts, I find it is a great informational resource,

Hornady 8th edition and Lymans 49th edition are both full of good stuff! Its good to have multiple resources to corrborate and compare what you are loading.

Powder manufactures online give voluminous info regarding thier products.

Good luck and have fun wtih your new hobby.

Besides reading, do you know anyone around you the reloads. Many times it easier with someone to mentor you and get the press they have. That was actually one of the things that help me decided between the Hornady L-n-L and Dillon 650.

I went Blue bit know between the 2, I couldn't make the wrong decision. Well not for a progressive that is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk