MB24

Another transport question

OK so realize there are as many hypothetical situations as there are members here and pretty much all responses will be an opinion and the only true answer is what the LE officer says when he stops me and I have to go to court but here goes. I decide to go for some practice, both long gun and pistol. Indoor pistol range is 35 minutes away. The NJDEP wildlife range is 25 minutes away. Can i bring both guns, stop at wildlife range then proceed to the indoor range or do I just bring the long gun then have to return home and switch.

If you join ANJRPC, you can talk to a real lawyer free and get a definitive answer. I just did. That one phone call is worth more than your annual dues.

Unfortunately, "definitve" can likely be contaminated by the whims of a moronic prosecutor and a liberal activist judge.

OK so realize there are as many hypothetical situations as there are members here and pretty much all responses will be an opinion and the only true answer is what the LE officer says when he stops me and I have to go to court but here goes. I decide to go for some practice, both long gun and pistol. Indoor pistol range is 35 minutes away. The NJDEP wildlife range is 25 minutes away. Can i bring both guns, stop at wildlife range then proceed to the indoor range or do I just bring the long gun then have to return home and switch.

WMA's don't allow hand guns on your person? So I guess the NRA Instructor Class (that I helped to teach) for Basic Muzzleloading Pistol is a big No-No? And so was the pistol live fire at the muzzleloading range? Not exactly!

Just take off yer tin foil hat and keep the center fire hand gun locked in your vehicle while at a WMA. WMA's follow State Hunting Rules and in NJ you don't hunt with a hand gun, so don't handle it and don't look for trouble where there isn't any........

Dave

NRA Instructor

WMA's don't allow hand guns on your person? So I guess the NRA Instructor Class (that I helped to teach) for Basic Muzzleloading Pistol is a big No-No? And so was the pistol live fire at the muzzleloading range? Not exactly!

Just take off yer tin foil hat and keep the center fire hand gun locked in your vehicle while at a WMA. WMA's follow State Hunting Rules and in NJ you don't hunt with a hand gun, so don't handle it and don't look for trouble where there isn't any........

Dave

NRA Instructor

Not sure what all that means, especially the tin foil hat reference, but I thought it would be fairly obvious if I was going to the indoor range that I wouldn't be using the handgun at the WMA. I'm aware of the WMA rules. And since there would be no reason to have it on my person at the range it would be locked up in my vehicle. Just trying to get some opinions as to what others would do.

There's no issue with "the law" as far as I know since you're going to exempted places.

The only issue I can see is leaving a firearm in your car where someone can break into your car and steal it. That's really all you have to worry about. The cops aren't going to bust you and lock you up because you're not breaking any laws.

If it were me I would carry both guns and leave the handgun in the car in its locked, hard sided case when at the WMA and ditto the long gun when I'm at the indoor range. I would also cover it with a towel or blanket when I'm not in the car to not attract any attention.

Not sure what all that means, especially the tin foil hat reference, but I thought it would be fairly obvious if I was going to the indoor range that I wouldn't be using the handgun at the WMA. I'm aware of the WMA rules. And since there would be no reason to have it on my person at the range it would be locked up in my vehicle. Just trying to get some opinions as to what others would do.

What it all means boils down to this: My (or anyone else's) OPINION doesn't matter, so you're better-off not even asking! The law is the law, and going to the range with guns is normal. Please read the 2C Statutes posted in their own area on this forum, as there are plenty of threads on this subject (transportation).

Not to be brash, but there are lots of Newbies that ask a bunch of folks here (some of whom don't even own guns or shoot) what to do and how to do it. Not all here would know to NOT holster-up their hand gun at our WMA's. You said (just now) that you knew better, and that's really good! My brief comments above were meant to stimulate thinking and illustrate that not everything is written in stone, such as black powder pistol shooting at a WMA during an approved NRA Instructor Training Class.

In short, we have enough problems in NJ right now without having to deal with "hypothetical" ones......so just keep your guns locked in the trunk (or as far away from driver as possible in a SUV) and as long as you're going to or from a range or ranges, you're O-K. (See section covering this).

Have a nice day.

Dave

I will never understand why people feel the need to reply to posts in a condescending manner. If you do not have any valuable insight to offer the OP on his specifc query why even comment on the thread? and telling someone to search because this has been posted before seems like it may be better left to the mods/admins as they may be able to do it in a less patronizing manner.

"Newbies ask a lot of folks what to do and how to do it."

Isnt that the purpose of this community? I know as a new member here I've gotten a lot out of reading the posts/questions of other newbies.

To the OPs original question. IMNAL but I would agree you are within the letter of the law by going to/from the different ranges with both firearms as long as they are being transported in accordance with the guidlelines.

Other Dave

I will never understand why people feel the need to reply to posts in a condescending manner. If you do not have any valuable insight to offer the OP on his specifc query why even comment on the thread? and telling someone to search because this has been posted before seems like it may be better left to the mods/admins as they may be able to do it in a less patronizing manner.

Isnt that the purpose of this community? I know as a new member here I've gotten a lot out of reading the posts/questions of other newbies.

To the OPs original question. IMNAL but I would agree you are within the letter of the law by going to/from the different ranges with both firearms as long as they are being transported in accordance with the guidlelines.

Other Dave

First & foremost, welcome aboard! I hope you'll find this forum enjoyable and entertaining, but most of all informative. Didn't mean to ruffle yer feathers. I'm just trying to relay how easy it is to click on the 2C Statutes on the front page of this forum, AND remind the OP that whatever is OPINED here doesn't matter LEGALLY.

Also, for some reason I wasn't quoted completely (what's inside the brackets didn't "print"). My original thought was then altered through shortening. What I was also stating is that some folks on this forum don't even own or have ever actually fired a gun of any type. Gun ownership is NOT a prerequisite to join this forum, so as far as LEGAL advice goes, one has to be very careful who they rely upon for advice. Not trying to be a PITA, just wanted to suggest that the actual laws can be looked-up here with relative ease.

So please don't think I'm some kind of obnoxious A-Hole or something, as I'm just a Mentor who wants to see folks bring-out a trunk-load of guns and enjoy them everywhere they go! Especially if they go to more than one range in a single day's round-trip!

Dave

Just for the record I wasn't looking for legal advice and even stated I didn't expect anything else but opinions. I also think one of the miss conceptions on any forum is if you have a low post count your a newbie to what ever topic/sport/hobby it may be when in reality you may just be new to the forum. As always I appreciate all the replies and advice.