MartyZ

stocking up on ammo

I agree, during Irene (wasn't too bad on the islands in CMC) & esp Sandy many places went without the rule of law. That was eye opening, and I really changed my opinion on "disaster" situations. You are on your own. And there is NO debate on that.

You are always on your own. The only difference between then and now is that now somebody is available to draw a chalk line around you before the end of the day.

OK, this is way off topic, but how do you store your gas?

Even with preservative, I'm afraid to have it lying around too long, so before big storms, I've been buying 5-10 gallons and then just pouring it into my car after the storm passes.

My generator runs off propane. Cleaner burning and fuel never goes bad! I have a whole stack of propane tanks (hope no one ever shoots a round into the garage). Lol

And in regards to post- my last stock up on ammo was purchased last December before everything skyrocketed. Stocked up on my 30-06. Sadly don't think I'm buying anymore for a while which means no range time since I don't want to use my stash.

CO detectors are very cheap now. I have several. Why not? When I've had to use the generator or portable heat sources I keep them around the living spaces and sleeping areas.

Just remember to change the batteries every time there is a Daylight Savings/Standard time change. When you have a lot of battery powered smoke and CO detectors you end up getting woken up by beeping at 0300 every other month :)

You are always on your own. The only difference between then and now is that now somebody is available to draw a chalk line around you before the end of the day.

I know, but go tell that to mainstream America. "The police really won't be there for you when you need them." I bet you get laughed out of conversation.

My generator runs off propane. Cleaner burning and fuel never goes bad! I have a whole stack of propane tanks (hope no one ever shoots a round into the garage). Lol

A propane tank won't explode.. no worries! Don't ask me how I know...:blink:

Molon Labe

OK, this is way off topic, but how do you store your gas?

Even with preservative, I'm afraid to have it lying around too long, so before big storms, I've been buying 5-10 gallons and then just pouring it into my car after the storm passes.

I have gas a year old stored with marine formula sta-bil with no problems. But every spring I usually cycle it out by using it in my car and van.

Keep the container FULL. Less oxygen to oxidize it and less moisture to get into it.

Use marine formula sta-bil or something similar. The #1 problem today is ethanol which attracts moisture. I would have bought ethanol free gas but we don't have that here.

I keep 50 gallons in jerry cans no problem.

I didn't want to spend 10 grand on a whole house standby generator. I do have a 500 gallon propane tank so I may get a carb kit for my generator and a quick disconnect.

I don't wait for storms to stock up on stuff. By the time the storm warning is out, too late to get stuff. Stores are practically JIT inventory anyway and any panic buying usually cleans the store shelves.

I badly want off grid solar capability but I really don't think I want to invest that in a NJ home the way things are going.

<RANT>

The ammo shortage is OUR OWN fault. Most general public already forgot about Newtown and moved on to immigration issues and a new season of American Idol. But, "We, The People" are scred sh**less of anything gun related disappearing. Will the laws change? Yeah, probably. Will ammo be outlawed? Hell, no. Then there are others, who are always waiting for an excuse to buy more gun related sh*t. They don't have the money, but they have an excuse so let's order a 1000 rounds of ammo for a rifle that they never shoot. But the main point - until people stop stockpiling thinking they have good reasons to do that (SHTF is the word I'm sick of) you will NOT see a single bullet at a decent price.

For those wondering what SHTF looks like, allow me to share my personal experience. I lived in Soviet Union at the time it collapsed and left for US a couple of years later. That was the exact scenario that everyone is drooling over nowdays in U.S. There was no more government in a country where EVERYTHING was run by government. People became billionaires overnight by paying local clerks $20 to "privatize" abandoned government gold mines. Food supply was interrupted, but never disappeared. Sugar and everything containing sugar disappeared (actually that happened waaay before) to make moonshine. States became countries overnight. No one knew what to do. NO ONE was prepared for this, but it didn't matter, because the KPSS would have never allowed people to even own a gun, much less hoard ammo. No one died or starved as a result of this, at least not in a sober state of mind. Everything eventually stabilized an much sooner than everyone expected. If the society didn't collapse in the most backwards and plagued country in the world, we will be OK as well. Will we have to adapt to new ways of the world? Maybe. But I'm willing to bet anything that we will not be shooting each other over cans of tuna in a wasteland populated by zombies and biker gangs. Deep breath, everyone.

</RANT>

NO ONE was prepared for this, but it didn't matter, because the KPSS would have never allowed people to even own a gun, much less hoard ammo.  No one died or starved as a result of this, at least not in a sober state of mind. Everything eventually stabilized an much sooner than everyone expected. If the society didn't collapse in the most backwards and plagued country in the world, we will be OK as well. Will we have to adapt to new ways of the world? Maybe.  But I'm willing to bet anything that we will not be shooting each other over cans of tuna in a wasteland populated by zombies and biker gangs.  Deep breath, everyone.

</RANT>

More people were killed by the Soviets in the 20 Century than in all wars put together.  You fared well?  Great.  Not everybody has.  And people sure as hell have shot each other over canned goods during your lifetime.  Or been murdered by the millions in a matter of months.  Or starved to death by the millions.  You should know these things better than most.

Now you complain about an ammo shortage.  My guess is you don't learn from this either. Well, really, it's so obvious that it's ironic. You're complaining about an ammo shortage because you think everything will always be OK and there's no reason to stock up on anything.

More people were killed by the Soviets in the 20 Century than in all wars put together. You fared well? Great. Not everybody has. And people sure as hell have shot each other over canned goods during your lifetime. Or been murdered by the millions in a matter of months. Or starved to death by the millions. You should know these things better than most.

The millions who died, did so during the time when there was a Soviet Union, not as a result of its collapse or SHTF as we refer to it now. You are right, but it's completely unrelated to my point or anything I said.

Now you complain about an ammo shortage.

Where did I complain about ammo shortage? Only people who caused it and it's our own doing. Ammo shortage is a symptom, not the problem.

To each his own.

I've lost enough confidence in protection of the 2nd Amendment, that the cost to me of having a lifetime supply of at least some calibers is worth the peace of mind.

I don't think there will ever be an outright ban, but they've come up with numerous ways to make it very difficult to get. Such as serialization and requiring FID cards that might not be forthcoming once the system is flooded. Or prohibitive taxation.

For those wondering what SHTF looks like, allow me to share my personal experience. I lived in Soviet Union at the time it collapsed and left for US a couple of years later. That was the exact scenario that everyone is drooling over nowdays in U.S. There was no more government in a country where EVERYTHING was run by government.

In the Soviet Union that period was the END of the totalitarian rule (for a while, anyway), a very different situation and environment. It hasn't even started here yet, and hopefully never will.

You are right, but it's completely unrelated to my point or anything I said.

I've known Russians (not that you are Russian), because I have employed them, taught them, and turned them into US Citizens. My point was that people from the Soviet Union generally have an awareness about these things more than most. My point was not whatever happened in your town during the dissolution of the Soviet Union, which I already said sounded pretty fortunate for you.

It hasn't even started here yet, and hopefully never will.

THIS is the scary part to me, not things specific to gun control. I'm seeing parallels here, I'm not saying those are *signs* but there are similarities to the old country.

P.S. Social Healthcare sucks too. Anyone who disagrees can look at my old dental work :)

I've known Russians (not that you are Russian), because I have employed them, taught them, and turned them into US Citizens. My point was that people from the Soviet Union generally have an awareness about these things more than most. My point was not whatever happened in your town during the dissolution of the Soviet Union, which I already said sounded pretty fortunate for you.

On the other hand, according to Vlad, at least Communist leaders pretend to care about you.

My question is, if god forbit in a SHTF situation, when you have to leave your house and might not have the luxury of a vehicle, maybe you run out of gas. How do you folks plan to pack and carry all this heavy ammo. I personally have no clue how this can be accomplished.

I don't.

If things get really, really bad here -- I plan to put a paper bag over my head and just die.

My wife and daughter are former Girl Scouts, so we're prepared for a number of scenarios. After Sandy, we found a few flaws in our planning -- like "how the heck do you run the sump pump or the FIOS backup battery without electric power????" Flaws since fixed. But I did make fresh brewed coffee every morning; the days after Sandy longest line at the supermarket wasn't for ice, it was for coffee.

New Jersey is surrounded by water on three sides, the Atlantic Ocean isn't a good escape route unless you have a boat, all the river crossings would either lead to places where the situation would be worse, like NYC, or would be completely jammed. There really isn't any good way to get out of the state. I'd just suggest trying to live in a location that's more than an easy walk from areas where the S really will HTF, and above the uppermost storm surge at high tide level, and away from tall, old trees, and ....

I think that's all you can do. I didn't even think about opening the gun safe after sandy. That wasn't what I was worried about.

I don't stockpile ammo for a SHTF scenario. I have an adequate number of rounds of everything for normal use. (Except .22 LR!) During the last crisis, found myself with one box of 9mm reloads that a friend had given me quite a few years ago. And that was it.

Now I know I can't assume that any time I want to shoot, I can just drop in to the LGS or Dick's and buy a couple of boxes of the correct ammo.

So where can I find some 22LR target ammo???

I don't.

If things get really, really bad here -- I plan to put a paper bag over my head and just die.

My wife and daughter are former Girl Scouts, so we're prepared for a number of scenarios. After Sandy, we found a few flaws in our planning -- like "how the heck do you run the sump pump or the FIOS backup battery without electric power????" Flaws since fixed. But I did make fresh brewed coffee every morning; the days after Sandy longest line at the supermarket wasn't for ice, it was for coffee.

New Jersey is surrounded by water on three sides, the Atlantic Ocean isn't a good escape route unless you have a boat, all the river crossings would either lead to places where the situation would be worse, like NYC, or would be completely jammed. There really isn't any good way to get out of the state. I'd just suggest trying to live in a location that's more than an easy walk from areas where the S really will HTF, and above the uppermost storm surge at high tide level, and away from tall, old trees, and ....

I think that's all you can do. I didn't even think about opening the gun safe after sandy. That wasn't what I was worried about.

I don't stockpile ammo for a SHTF scenario. I have an adequate number of rounds of everything for normal use. (Except .22 LR!) During the last crisis, found myself with one box of 9mm reloads that a friend had given me quite a few years ago. And that was it.

Now I know I can't assume that any time I want to shoot, I can just drop in to the LGS or Dick's and buy a couple of boxes of the correct ammo.

So where can I find some 22LR target ammo???

Some Eley just popped up on Midway today. (Yes, I check every day.)

The millions who died, did so during the time when there was a Soviet Union, not as a result of its collapse or SHTF as we refer to it now. You are right, but it's completely unrelated to my point or anything I said.

Where did I complain about ammo shortage? Only people who caused it and it's our own doing. Ammo shortage is a symptom, not the problem.

I to am from the ex Soviet Union. I was lucky, my family fled in '79, so no, we didn't live thru the collapse. But the whole point of our 2nd amendment is to prevent what happend in the former Soviet Union. First they take away your guns, a little at a time, it's like the frog in boiling water. They do it slowly so that we don't feel it as hard. Once all of our guns are gone, we end up back in the Stalin era. How does this pertain to stock piling ammo? Once all the ammo is gone, our guns are useless. Why is the goverment buying up ammo by the hundred millions? I buy a couple thousand rounds and I'm causing a shortage, the government buys up hundreds of millions and that's not impacting supply?

Rant off.