Quick everyone run out and buy a .50 cal something.

AFAIK, the only place in the state that's set up to shoot .50 BMG is Fort Dix. And it's by appointment. And .50 BMG is what, $8/round?

As was said in the Trenton meeting, "this is a solution for a problem that doesn't exist"

True that. But all of this is nothing but a smoke screen that's designed to shield politicians from the wrath of the voters -- because the laws they have already passed are designed -- both unintentionally and intentionally -- to give crazy people and convicted criminals free rein.

Easier to blame ugly black rifles.

AFAIK, the only place in the state that's set up to shoot .50 BMG is Fort Dix. And it's by appointment. And .50 BMG is what, $8/round?

You can get .50 BMG for $2 to $3 a round. Even lower. Most of that would be pulled US Military bullets and new or used brass. Starting around $3 you can get all new components, not that this is always a benefit. Depends what type of shooting you are doing.

Quick everyone run out and buy a .50 cal something.

Gonna start saving some cash money for a S&W .500 soon. Would that be affected by this bill? ...Not that it really matters, since I fear that it might leap from my hands during that boating trip I have scheduled for the day when they hear these bills.

On average I shoot my ar-50 once a month at the 300yd range at cherry hill. Hornady a-max <$60/10 and that's pretty much the best short of thunderbird. (Not including meticulously loaded hand loads.)

Unfortunately on a shark hunting expedition the rifle fell off the side of the boat out by the canyon. Miss her.

As for crimes theoretically stymied by this absurd piece of "legislation" I am sure there has never been a crime committed in the US with a .50 BMG. I guess there must be two man teams of gangbangers running all over Camden Newark and all the other garden spots of the garden state, with Barretts, Ferrets and AR-50s holding up bodegas.

More people have been killed by 70+ year old drivers in BLUE cars.

But I'm ranting.

Bill has been revised to not ban rifled barreled shotguns. It also contains language for muzzle energy so It may not effect .50 cal handguns.

"which shall

33 include a 12.7 mm equivalent of 50 caliber or greater or any other

34 metric equivalent, or a copy or duplicate of any such weapon

35 regardless of caliber that is capable of firing a projectile that attains

36 a muzzle energy of 12,000 foot-pounds or greater in any

37 combination of bullet, propellant, case, or primer. The provisions

38 of this paragraph shall not apply to a smooth bore shotgun or rifle

39 barrel shotgun or any shotgun ammunition generally recognized as

40 suitable for sporting purposes in this State"

Link to revised bill: http://www.njleg.sta...000/3659_R1.PDF

I take the above to mean it bans ALL 50 caliber rifles and handguns, or any OTHER caliber firearm which attains 12,000 ft lbs of energy. So IMO, .50BMG, .50AE, .500SW, .50GI, etc. will be banned.

Bill has been revised to not ban rifled barreled shotguns. It also contains language for muzzle energy so It may not effect .50 cal handguns.

"which shall

Link to revised bill: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2012/Bills/A4000/3659_R1.PDF

I could be wrong, but the way I am reading the change in the bill is it would apply to 50 caliber firearms AND a muzzle energy of 12,000 foot-pounds or greater. The S&W 500 has 2,800 foot-pounds at best. The 50 BMG has a starting muzzle energy around 13,000 foot-pounds.

I take the above to mean it bans ALL 50 caliber rifles and handguns, or any OTHER caliber firearm which attains 12,000 ft lbs of energy. So IMO, .50BMG, .50AE, .500SW, .50GI, etc. will be banned.

I went back and re-read the section again. Unfortunately, you are correct. I was a bit biased the first time I read it since I remember the bill sponsor who kept basing his stupid arguments on the Barrett .50 cal.

After he heard the valid testimonies from our side, I recall him mentioning to amend the bill to ban ammunition that exceeded a certain "muzzle velocity" -- obviously he meant "energy".

Well, this sucks.

"which shall

Link to revised bill: http://www.njleg.sta...000/3659_R1.PDF

Hold the hell on. Reading that again, couldn't that be used to ban ANY firearm, so long as there exists a model chambered in .50? That would mean that Desert Eagles chambered in .357/.44 mag are also banned, any X-Frame Smith revolver, BFR revolvers, TC Contenders... Those bastards are slick.

Edit: Wait, skipped over the "muzzle energy" part. So, might not ban the Deagles, but the .460 XVR by Smith is pretty damn close to the .500 in energy, also, a lot of those BFR revolvers are chambered in rifle cartridges that easily exceed that amount of energy.

The .500 and .460 are not anywhere near the 12,000 foot-pounds at the muzzle. It sounds like the bill is only targeting .50 BMG as it has muzzle energy of 13,000.

Is there a lawyer in the house? :-)

i'm convinced the reason for this is not people trying to take down a 400 ton 747, but those smaller, lighter, more delicate drones that shall surely be flying regularly over us in the near future.

You mean those Garand targets?

IANAL

My interpretation is that muzzleloaders are as exempt as rifled shotguns since they're recognized as "sporting" and can not attain anywhere near the muzzle speed or Foot pounds of energy.

I was there. I know the intent of these Bills. NONE of them are even being considered by the Senate, YET!

But it does amaze me to read of so many mis-informed posters here on the forum. Perhaps it's time for more of you to "put some skin in the game" and get involved instead of over-reacting to news that's TWO WEEKS OLD????????

Join NJ2AS and you'll receive updates about all of these PROPOSED laws. And get ready to take a couple days off in April to go to Trenton! PLAN NOW!

Dave

IANAL

My interpretation is that muzzleloaders are as exempt as rifled shotguns since they're recognized as "sporting" and can not attain anywhere near the muzzle speed or Foot pounds of energy.

I was there. I know the intent of these Bills. NONE of them are even being considered by the Senate, YET!

But it does amaze me to read of so many mis-informed posters here on the forum. Perhaps it's time for more of you to "put some skin in the game" and get involved instead of over-reacting to news that's TWO WEEKS OLD????????

Join NJ2AS and you'll receive updates about all of these PROPOSED laws. And get ready to take a couple days off in April to go to Trenton! PLAN NOW!

Dave

Just for the record, our update from NJ2AS the morning of our trip to the Assembly on February 21 did not include the changes to the bill supposedly made on February 14, and many of us do not look at each of the bills daily.

I am not criticizing NJ2AS, nor most of the tone of your post, with which I wholeheartedly agree.

The " instead of over-reacting to news that's TWO WEEKS OLD????????" bothered me, however.

Yes the information may be out there, but even NJ2AS is not on it minute to minute, bill by bill, as you are on a bill that may affect you more personally.

I am still opposed to the bill even if I may never get the opportunity to fire a cal .50 again. (And I was able to do it auto)

Sorry you were bothered. My intent is to make people THINK before they TYPE. This is something that the younger among us have yet to learn, and having access to instant information sources via hand-held communications devices hasn't seemed to help. So they continue to type away "in the dark". Most here don't even know the process by which these bills become law, as they have yet to reach the Senate, at which point compromise bills will take shape with various amendments and more "pork" added to them. THEN they reach Christie's desk, at which time he can sign them, veto them, or take the chicken-sh!t route and leave them idle for 45 days until they become LAW! As for minute-to-minute attention on Bills, I agree with you and nobody can really do that.

I too am opposed to the bill. It's an attempt to fix a problem that doesn't even exist. Not one of these rifles has ever been used in a crime in NJ! Worse yet, it (the newly proposed bill) went out of it's way (as initially proposed, for the THIRD TIME since 1994) to be deliberately vague so as to rile-up Gun Owners and Hunters to get it amended, which I think was just a ploy/ruse to get the "Gun Lobby" to eat their own. I think we have "been played", and all the Assembly Committee Members really wanted to do is to outright BAN the .50 Precision (I won't say "Sniper") Rifles.

O-K, Rant & Civics lesson complete...

Have a nice day and enjoy the sunshine!

Sorry you were bothered. My intent is to make people THINK before they TYPE. This is something that the younger among us have yet to learn, and having access to instant information sources via hand-held communications devices hasn't seemed to help. So they continue to type away "in the dark". Most here don't even know the process by which these bills become law, as they have yet to reach the Senate, at which point compromise bills will take shape with various amendments and more "pork" added to them. THEN they reach Christie's desk, at which time he can sign them, veto them, or take the chicken-sh!t route and leave them idle for 45 days until they become LAW! As for minute-to-minute attention on Bills, I agree with you and nobody can really do that.

I too am opposed to the bill. It's an attempt to fix a problem that doesn't even exist. Not one of these rifles has ever been used in a crime in NJ! Worse yet, it (the newly proposed bill) went out of it's way (as initially proposed, for the THIRD TIME since 1994) to be deliberately vague so as to rile-up Gun Owners and Hunters to get it amended, which I think was just a ploy/ruse to get the "Gun Lobby" to eat their own. I think we have "been played", and all the Assembly Committee Members really wanted to do is to outright BAN the .50 Precision (I won't say "Sniper") Rifles.

O-K, Rant & Civics lesson complete...

Have a nice day and enjoy the sunshine!

Thanks for the reply. Your first post caused me to go back and look at the changes made to all of the bills. I found it interesting that some had been changed based on our objections in the committee meeting; NOT necessarily because of trying to ameliorate our concerns, but that they realized that they were just downright stupid and sophomoric.

At one point during the early part of Assembly they recognized a sorority for the good work they had been doing. One of the sorority ladies said that they brought high school students to the Assembly to learn how everything worked and "even write Bills".

I was able to nudge my friend next to me with the comment "So that's how these bills got written"

Thanks for the reply. Your first post caused me to go back and look at the changes made to all of the bills. I found it interesting that some had been changed based on our objections in the committee meeting; NOT necessarily because of trying to ameliorate our concerns, but that they realized that they were just downright stupid and sophomoric.

At one point during the early part of Assembly they recognized a sorority for the good work they had been doing. One of the sorority ladies said that they brought high school students to the Assembly to learn how everything worked and "even write Bills".

I was able to nudge my friend next to me with the comment "So that's how these bills got written"

LOL! I think that the HS Kids could have done a better job, especially since "IT WASN'T THEIR MEETING". At least some common sense MAYBE would have gotten slipped-in sideways.....LOL!

I'm with Paul's interpretation on this one. Will ban all centerfire .50 caliber firearm (with the exceptions as originally noted of shotguns and ML's), and any centerfire caliber capable of achieving >12K lb-ft of muzzle energy. Not that there are many - even the .408 Chey Tac achieves <9K lb-ft, and the Lahti 20mm anti-tank was already banned as a DD.

They didn't make it any better - actually I don't see that it changed anything.

Adios,

Pizza Bob