Sign in to follow this  
jeklog

njgunforum.com brings you to Brady Campaign if on firefox

For ten bucks per year anyone can register www.bradycampaigns.com and point to this gun forum although I'm thinking that won't go over so well

On the contrary - I think turnabout is fair play and I would put a dollar towards that for sure!

Sounds like phishing and is an actionable offense. Would love to sue those scumbags.

No it's not. It's perfectly legal and acceptable. Go to http://ceasefirenj.com some time and you'll see a good example of what happens when an astute gun owner notices an anti-rights organization's domain is expiring...

No it's not. It's perfectly legal and acceptable. Go to http://ceasefirenj.com some time and you'll see a good example of what happens when an astute gun owner notices an anti-rights organization's domain is expiring...

I am thinking under the

Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) :

A complainant in a UDRP proceeding must establish three elements to succeed:

• The domain name is identical or confusingly similar to a trademark or service mark in which the complainant has rights;
  • The registrant does not have any rights or legitimate interests in the domain name; and
  • The registrant registered the domain name and is using it in "bad faith".

I would thinks Maks would have all 3 if the website was TM.

I would thinks Maks would have all 3 if the website was TM.

Key point there. It only works if 'njgunforums' is a registered trade/service mark. From what I read HERE in most cases the domain that is disputed is a trademark for an existing product (pepsi.com, for example). Rarely, it appears is the domain name itself the mark..

Registrants of domain names also sometimes wish to register the domain names themselves (e.g., "XYZ.COM") as trademarks for perceived advantages, such as an extra bulwark against their domain being hijacked, and to avail themselves of such remedies as confusion or passing off against other domain holders with confusingly similar or intentionally misspelled domain names.

As with other trademarks, the domain name will not be subject to registration unless the proposed mark is actually used to identify the registrant's goods or services to the public, rather than simply being the location on the Internet where the applicant's web site appears. Amazon.com is a prime example of a protected trademark for a domain name central to the public's identification of the company and its products.

In this case, I would assume that the forum itself is the service to the public that would be trademarked and the domain would then be covered.