DSD1026

Woman allowed to board plane with tazer

OK, this isn't a link, but a true story as it happened to my wife's friend.. This happened about 4 or 5 months ago..

My wife has a friend that lives in Indiana who was coming for a visit to our house. She was flying United Airlines (I believe) and got to Newark just fine. When she got to our house, we were talking about self defense, and she casually mentioned that she carries a tazer around with her (not illegal in IN) and my wife thought that was so cool since you cant even own one here.. The woman then went to get her purse and pulled out the tazer, in its case.. Sure enough, we opened it up and there it was, in full functioning order. This is the same purse she had with her when she got off the plane.

So, how the f**k did they let her get on a plane with a tazer?

Needless to say, we told her that it wasnt even legal to own one in NJ and that she was not being allowed (by us) to try to get back on the place at Newark with the tazer in her purse since she could be arrested for carrying it in NJ. We ended up shipping it back to her separately after she got home.

Seriously, doesn't that sound like some seriously gross negligence by airport security in Indiana? Hell, we thought about telling this to the press, but we figured we didnt want her to get in trouble for having it in NJ, so we thought better of doing that.. Crazy man, just crazy.. And yet, you cant bring liquids on the plane..

I'm sure plenty of other things get on the plane and get missed. I've gone through court metal detectors

and every single time the cops miss the knife on my keychain. Not exactly the same thing though.

But in all seriousness have you seen the people that work for TSA? Are you really that surprised?

That is indeed strange as the xray would have clearly shown it's workings and raised a flag. someone asleep at the wheel I suspect. She could have just packed it in her checked luggage to get it back home. I travel with my knife roll on long vacations and have had no problem with it in checked luggage.

Maybe in xray, it looked like an electric razor.

That is indeed strange as the xray would have clearly shown it's workings and raised a flag. someone asleep at the wheel I suspect. She could have just packed it in her checked luggage to get it back home. I travel with my knife roll on long vacations and have had no problem with it in checked luggage.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Maybe in xray, it looked like an electric razor.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Good point but how hirsute do you have to be to carry around an electric razor in your purse?

I think it should be mentioned that there is a difference between a tazer and a stun gun. A taser shoots out two darts attached to wires while a stun gun has to be pressed against someone. I have a stun gun and it is simply a square box with two flat pieces of metal at the end. It would look like a razor or similar as it just is a battery with a switch and prongs to plug it in. I am assuming that you are talking about a stun gun as tazers are quite bulky and not really suitable for carrying in a pocketbook.

ok, to clarify, then it was a stun gun, not a tazer.. since we dont have them here, i can never keep them straight

still crazy that they allowed her on a plane with a weapon like that.. maybe they are more "lax" in Indiana.. lol

They sell stun guns that look like cell phones, flashlights, etc.. If in a bag it would be hard to tell from an x-ray. I deal with the TSA on a regular basis and have to have everything we ship x-rayed. One of the problems that they face is that after someone looks at x-rays for a long period of time they really stop seeing detail as it is impossible to keep the line moving and look at each x-ray in great detail. After a while they just get bleary eyed and miss details. They are trying to rotate their people more often to combat this but as with all humans there will always be some workers who take a mental break and let some things slide. :)

Ahhh... the crackheads of TSA...

A few years back, on my way to Aruba, I had a TSA guy pat me down over a tight wifebeater shirt... I asked him if he was enjoying it... needless to say that didn't go over well... :ph34r:

Needless to say, we told her that it wasnt even legal to own one in NJ and that she was not being allowed (by us) to try to get back on the place at Newark with the tazer in her purse since she could be arrested for carrying it in NJ. We ended up shipping it back to her separately after she got home.

It's actually a crime to ship them out of NJ also.