Sign in to follow this  
ogfarmer

replacing 1piece hanguard for quad rail question

I was not gonna upgrade any features on my Windham but decided to try and change out my handguard to a 2 piece quad rail, I picked one up @ Oaks and now upon further inspection the one on my rifle looks to be a 1 piece handguard. What will it take to change it?

IMG_1452_zpse19d4b1a.jpg

The removal tool certainly helps, but ou definitely don't need one to remove it. Just clear the wept and stand it up on a desk or table up on the stock, it doesn't matter which half comes out first, they're both the same and are only held in place by the handguard cap and delta ring. With one hand, pull down on the delta ring as much as you can while at the same time apply pressure to separate the two halves. It's hard but definitely not impossible. Plenty of videos on YouTube you can reference.

I didn't have the tool when I did mine. Just used a pair on channel locks with long grips. The grips work the same way. Comes in handy in a pinch. I have strong hands and my ring was a tough sell without a tool. Couldn't drop it far enough.

The removal tool certainly helps, but ou definitely don't need one to remove it. Just clear the wept and stand it up on a desk or table up on the stock, it doesn't matter which half comes out first, they're both the same and are only held in place by the handguard cap and delta ring. With one hand, pull down on the delta ring as much as you can while at the same time apply pressure to separate the two halves. It's hard but definitely not impossible. Plenty of videos on YouTube you can reference.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

i tried with the tool and its doesnt come apart

Make sure the rifle is clear. Muzzle up get someone to pull down on the delta ring.

Pull the delta ring down and work a pocketknife into the seam of the hand guard. There's little plastic pins securing the halves of the hand guards together and sometimes they stick.

When removing the old one the two pieces were tight together and took a little prying. Then when putting on new one I was doing it upside down. Then I was confused because it does not go on exactly like old one. It only goes inside of delta ring and not into the top collar ring, It goes over the ring.