Sign in to follow this  
repoman1

unregistered ww2 lugar heirloom in the family, legal?

no..not because of age...if you lived in delaware last year bought a gen4 glock...moved to nj and brought with you...as long as it was (for now anyway) no more than 15 rnd mag capacity..and you legally purchased it and havent become a person prohibited since then....no registration/permit required..

also, can it be registered or a permit attached to it?

NJ does not have mandatory registration. There is voluntary registration if you choose to do so, but there is arguably no good reason to do that.

As for a permit to attach to it, permit for what? You do not need a permit to own a legal firearm in NJ. You need a permit to **PURCHASE** a handgun in NJ, but not to own.

Christ, I guess ive been looking at this wrong for a long time then. I assumed that in new germany you had to have a permit to go along with the handgun? meaning, If the lawman was looking into my ownership of a handgun that I would need to show a permit?

Christ, I guess ive been looking at this wrong for a long time then. I assumed that in new germany you had to have a permit to go along with the handgun? meaning, If the lawman was looking into my ownership of a handgun that I would need to show a permit?

Do a lot of reading on this forum and a lot of things that someone said to you as a fact will be debunked.

crap, Ive been around guns my whole life and own many,many of them and always thought a handgun needed a permit. which all of mine do. christ I feel stupid. Thanks guys. This site is the best

So, in theory A person could buy one second hand from a private sale anywhere in the country and bring it home. assuming a crime wasnt done with it or its no stolen?

So, in theory A person could buy one second hand from a private sale anywhere in the country and bring it home. assuming a crime wasnt done with it or its no stolen?

No

If you were a resident of a state and you obtained the gun legally through a dealer sale or,private, you dont need a permit to own it when you bring it in NJ and be a resident of NJ.

Read the stickies in the NJ laws section.

no

crap, Ive been around guns my whole life and own many,many of them and always thought a handgun needed a permit. which all of mine do. christ I feel stupid. Thanks guys. This site is the best

No you cannot buy a handgun in another state if you are a resident of nj unless you have a FID and purchase permit and then you have to have it transferred to a FFL and then go thru background check

no

No you cannot buy a handgun in another state if you are a resident of nj unless you have a FID and purchase permit and then you have to have it transferred to a FFL and then go thru background check

Thats what i thought. What if someone gave me a handgun in texas and i brought it home? what if someone gave me a handgun in new jersey?

private sales of long guns or handguns or lowers..can only be from residents of the same state.....purchase of log guns (nj compliant) from an out of state dealer/ffl you can take gun with you........handgun from out of state dealer/ffl or private seller...must be transfered through nj ffl/dealer and you must have a valid permit to purchase pistol...private sale of long gun from out of state private seller must be transferred through nj dealer/ffl.....

Thats what i thought. What if someone gave me a handgun in texas and i brought it home? what if someone gave me a handgun in new jersey?

texas person must ship to nj ffl and youd need a fid and valid pistol permit ...to take posession in nj after the new de factor waiting period/nics approval......nj person could perform a face to face gift ...but you would still need fid a valid pistol purchase permit

private sales of long guns or handguns or lowers..can only be from residents of the same state.....purchase of log guns (nj compliant) from an out of state dealer/ffl you can take gun with you........handgun from out of state dealer/ffl or private seller...must be transfered through nj ffl/dealer and you must have a valid permit to purchase pistol...private sale of long gun from out of state private seller must be transferred through nj dealer/ffl.....

Ok, most of that i knew. Well, the private long gun sale out of state I didnt know you needed a ffl to transfer. Good thing I sold that gun. lol Anyway, let me ask you this if you dont mind. If my friend gets pulled over by the cops with the lugar in his trunk coming from the range doing nothing illegal, The cop wont ask him for papers for the gun? Meaning he cant ask?

ok..well im not sure if im understanding completely....is the gun yours or his?...if yours ..and in his trunk are you in the car?...if not im pretty sure thats a problem....in that in nj it is not legal to "loan/lend/allow buddy to take temporary possesion/take to range (without you present)" of your firearm...but as suggested read up the stickies..all the answers are in them...explained in laymans terms cutting the leagalese....and im certainly not a gun lawyer...so definately double check my statements...

ok let me shorten this up. My buddy has a lugar handed down from his family to him. He is the last one still alive at this point. He has the handgun with no papers at all. Can he have the gun and travel to the range with it? If a cop pulls him over and he decides to tell the cop that its in the trunk, what will the cop ask for from him? My other questions were just for my knowledge.

I personally don't posess any firearms that I "inherited" so I may not be as up to speed on the details of possession under those circumstances... But In my understanding of those laws.. He is ok in that scenario ... As long as he is transporting it legally within the exemptions... It has not been reported as stolen...he is not a person prohibited...he would be within the law.... Now this does not mean that he may not be hassled/questioned etc during an interaction with Leos ...no ...just that he hasn't broken a law ....a few friends that I know have been stopped while transporting(legal owners not prohibited etc) have handled it in different ways... A couple when asked during the stop.."any weapons ,explosives,nukes on board today"... They laughed and said "no ..why...am I glowing?".. Leo moved along with the cause of stop....a couple said yes.... And the reactions varied from one end of the spectrum to the other but all basically shared the same common line of questioning..."where is it..... Are you the owner of it/how did you obtain it"...none were charged with anything...not knowing your friend....I'll say his appearance and attitude while answering the questions will play a big part of how it's handled by the Leo ..and the difference between being extracted...proned out at gp..cuffed and his vehicle gone through ... Or the Leo moving along with the reason for the hythetical stop

ok let me shorten this up. My buddy has a lugar handed down from his family to him. He is the last one still alive at this point. He has the handgun with no papers at all. Can he have the gun and travel to the range with it? If a cop pulls him over and he decides to tell the cop that its in the trunk, what will the cop ask for from him? My other questions were just for my knowledge.

He is last one alive so he gets it via inheritance. Nothing else needed.

If cop pulls him over and he volunteers the info there is nothing he tells cop he inherited it

2c:58-3j

j.Firearms passing to heirs or legatees. Notwithstanding any other provision of this section concerning the transfer, receipt or acquisition of a firearm, a permit to purchase or a firearms purchaser identification card shall not be required for the passing of a firearm upon the death of an owner thereof to his heir or legatee, whether the same be by testamentary bequest or by the laws of intestacy. The person who shall so receive, or acquire said firearm shall, however, be subject to all other provisions of this chapter. If the heir or legatee of such firearm does not qualify to possess or carry it, he may retain ownership of the firearm for the purpose of sale for a period not exceeding 180 days, or for such further limited period as may be approved by the chief law enforcement officer of the municipality in which the heir or legatee resides or the superintendent, provided that such firearm is in the custody of the chief law enforcement officer of the municipality or the superintendent during such period.

All answers here are 100% correct. When I was a Texas resident I acquired 3 pistols.. moved back to NJ and never registered any of them. Sold 2 in private sales and the Permit to Purchase was needed. I go to Alabama every year to visit family, every time I buy about 2 or 3 rifles and bring them back to NJ legally.