Shawnmoore81

Biometric safe

Go to the Asian market, buy a pint of pigs blood. Dip your fingers in it and see of your safe will open. Will opaque viscous liquids like your blood or the blood of a family member who is in peril prevent your electronic reader from reading.

I like my simplex lock.

Not an issue, mine has a keypad as well.

Where do you keep the key? How do you find it and use it if you have to? Also, if your kids have Internet access, they can find a YouTube video that will teach them to defeat that gunvault in 30 seconds with a paper clip.

Fort Knox. Simplex lock. No key. No battery. No complicated combo knob. Entry is tactile, quiet and mechanical.

This is just my opinion obviously. Ymmv.

for the guys with small safes.. Howard, the Barska safe.. the holes in the back look small(ish).. but what means are you "bolting" it down? from the picture it looks like you can't get a large lag screw/bolt through there.. i really like the look of that safe.. just wondering how you bolt it down..

I forget the exact size of the holes but I think they are about 3/8" and it comes with some nice expanding lag type bolts to go through those holes. It would be relatively easy to get a good metal bit and enlarge them. You have to remember that none of these things are what I would call true safes. They are designed to securely safeguard the content from those that would like to snatch and grab. With the right tools you could cut through 1/4" steel or what-ever fairly quickly.

I have mine to prevent accidents and to deter any bad acts. I think you need to evaluate what you are trying to accomplish before you buy any locking container.

here is what I think... any safe is better than no safe but also making sure your safe is well hidden and is not out in the open for the world to see is just as important. think about wether you have a cheap safe or an expensive 1000 lbs fort Knox safe, if it's out in the open and a thief does break into your home for a quick snatch and grab, believe me if the thief see your safe but wasn't able to get into your safe that day, he or one of his good ol friends will be back with tools and buddies to get into your safe another day... I mention this because I see alot of people making the big mistake of putting a nice new big safe inside the bedroom or "hidden" in a closet, those are big NO NOs!!! those are the first places thieves look for the goods, they are not stupid! we all have to be smarter than that. if it cannot be seen it cannot be taken or broken into...

and this goes for you guys who keep firearms in a nice little lock box under your bed, or in a bottom drawer, first place thieves look... hide it! they won't get it...

But David what you are missing is people who have guns in their bedrooms for self defense.

totally understand this, but be smart about it there are alot of places you can hide a lock box, handgun, shotgun or rifle. google it you get alot of good ideas... it's like concealed carrying for your home! lol...

David you raise a valid point. Let me address the flip side of it. If the weapon is for home defense then you want it in your bedroom, as it does you little good if you wake up to a bad guy in the hallway and your weapon is in the living room or in the basement. You also want it fairly close to your bed as you want to reduce the possibility of the bad guy getting between you and the weapon. That leaves very few places to put it. That said, I am not an advocate of leaving it unlocked on or in a night stand - as that will be the first place the bad guy is going to look if the opportunity arises.

I read on another forum [i'm sorry for two timing :) ] about a guy that woke up in the morning to find that a bad guy had been in the house, and in his bed room and took stuff without them ever waking. Just imagine if he awoke and the bad guy was by the bed - who would get the open gun first? Thus, I like the idea of the biometric in close proximity to the bed. I am not advocating you keep an arsenal there - just one gun and a limited amount of ammo.

This is yet another reason why, if you are a sound sleeper, you need something to wake you when there is an intruder. That is why a good perimeter alarm system and / or a couple of canine friends are very useful as your first alert system giving you plenty of time to get to a weapon before you might need to use it.

I never said dont keep fire arms in the bedroom, i only said to conceal them but still have quick access. For example false drawer bottoms, curtains, behind furniture, behind a door under a robe you can easily hide a shotgun or rifle...

Does anyone own this pistol safe?

http://www.sentrysaf...ess_Pistol_Safe

I have 2 of them bolted in drawers. and considering a third.

They never fail to open, and are very quiet.

They are thin enough to fit in most any drawer.

Depending on how long your entry sequence is, it can be open quite fast.

I especially like the pop open lid.

R

I think the Barska is similar but not the same. The key is not located there, it is behind a metal plate about 2" to the right and 2" down. Also the mechanism is not at a 90 degree angle it is installed at a 45 degree angle. I have seen that the stackon ones could be opened by just picking the unit up and dropping it because of the 90 degree orientation. I won't address destroying the print reader, as I don't want to try that.

I guess the bottom line is what I said before, these are locking cabinets designed to keep stuff away from someone that just wants to pick it up or take it from a drawer. They are not true safes, but that is not what they are designed for. Remember also that locks don't keep true thieves out, they just keep honest people honest.

Have you seen this?

Appears to be the same lock mechanism as on the Barska.................

Wow, I can't believe how incredibly easy it is to bypass the locking mechanism on these safes! I've been looking for a small bedroom pistol safe, so I now know to stay away from this one!

A lot of the questions about "what gun should I get" apply to "what safe should I get" .....

1. What do you need it to do / why are you getting it - somebody who has sever all handguns and longs guns will have different needs than the person who only has a singe handgun.  Same if you are singe and living alone rather than with a family kids. 

2. What is your budget