Nikos

A4001: Requires firearms endorsement on DL IDs *UPDATED*

Every NJ driver's License has a PDF417 barcode on it. You could include an SBI number in that barcode for use by an FFL.

I would also suggest that since we are trying to stop "prohibited" people from buying firearms we should be marking their driver's licenses as being prohibited rather than marking ours as being "permitted".

This all boils down to the fundamental flaw in the state's logic that they have authority to grant us permission to exercise our rights.

...I would also suggest that since we are trying to stop "prohibited" people from buying firearms we should be marking their driver's licenses as being prohibited rather than marking ours as being "permitted"...

Nice one

Every NJ driver's License has a PDF417 barcode on it. You could include an SBI number in that barcode for use by an FFL.

I would also suggest that since we are trying to stop "prohibited" people from buying firearms we should be marking their driver's licenses as being prohibited rather than marking ours as being "permitted".

This all boils down to the fundamental flaw in the state's logic that they have authority to grant us permission to exercise our rights.

Right on!!

The cheapest way to do this would simply to link the SBI number to your DL in the database (surprised if they didn't do that already.) Every DL# is unique, right? After all they record your social security number but don't actually put it on the PDF417 barcode. This wouldn't require a reissue of driver licenses which would cost the state $$$. They'd have some database work to do but that shouldn't cost much.

Can you imagine the backlog, and lines at Motor Vehicle if you have to get a new license? We have already witnessed the fiasco of the NICS delays. Another piece of legislation the does nothing but demonize law abiding folks, and does nothing to fight crime.

I take it you haven't been to an agency recently... some of those I used to go to (Wayne, Randolph) were crowded beyond belief.

just add this to my growing list of "reasons to leave NJ"

a visible firearms endorsement on DL IDs would be an invasion of our privacy and would cause an employment problem as typically one needs to show a dl to human resources for a new job. it would be better if we had the option of getting a non-DL card which could have the fid endorsement.

I take it you haven't been to an agency recently... some of those I used to go to (Wayne, Randolph) were crowded beyond belief.

Sadly, between the local departments with FIDs and pistol permits and the State Police NICs checks, I think the DMV would probably be faster. What does that say about the process.

question: do NJ DL holders have the option of having the fid endorsement placed on a "non-driver photo id".

if this would be possible, it would avoid being barred from many jobs due to them seeing that you are a gun owner.

DMV will not issue a non-driver id card if you have a valid driver licence.

What if you don't drive? Isn't it a violation of your civil rights to make you get a non-driver photo ID -- isn't that what the 0bungler admin has ruled as it relates to voter ID's? Why should this be any different?

it would be better if we had the option of getting a non-DL card which could have the fid endorsement.

Isn't that what the FPID is already? It's non-DL, and it's an ID card with name, address, birthday, and other identifying information on it. It is effectively (though not absolutely) a dedicated Gun Owner ID card since you need it to buy pistol ammo and it lets you transport long guns more freely.

DMV will not issue a non-driver id card if you have a valid driver licence.

you are correct. I didn't know this. I called nj DMV and they verified that you cannot have a non-driver photo id issued if you already have a photo dl.

This new plan probably won't cost the state a dime.  I would imagine that we GUN OWNERS will have to pay some sort of "special" fee in order to have the "crazy gun-nut" code embedded on our licenses.  

What is the big deal?  This endorses, hopefully, transparency for an FID.

Go ahead and put another endorsement on my DL.  I'll gladly take that "ENDR: M F"  sure why the hell not.  I always carry my license..and its less likely to be identically destroyed like some crappy piece of paper done on a type writer is.

So now. Every cop who pulls you over for a burnt out tailight, has PROBABLE CAUSE to search you and your vehicle.

That's so full of crap and delusional.

Let's be realistic, you don't need PC to search a car.

Refusing a search is PC now-a-days.

So now. Every cop who pulls you over for a burnt out tailight, has PROBABLE CAUSE to search you and your vehicle.

That's so full of crap and delusional.

Let's be realistic, you don't need PC to search a car.

Refusing a search is PC now-a-days.

Ok I agree that the whole "search your car" thing is a little silly. As if the stickers(NRA ANJRPC nj2s etc) wouldn't be a tip off. And law abiding is just that. Act appropriately and you'll be fine.

The issue here is melding a right with a privilege. Our founding document doesn't say a whit about driving a car, but it is powerfully eloquent about our right to keep and bear arms.

F them. Not an inch.

So now you are an expert on pc...a cop might have reasonable suspicion but not probable cause. PC is a much higher standard. Easy with the paranoia

For education purposes, can you detail the general level of evidence necessary (I realize it's not always so cut and dry) for reasonable suspicion vs probable cause?

For the most part, it is the field officer's discretion..which can be.....

So here is a big question, say you get your DL revoked for something.  You no longer have your FID card either?  WTF? 

Having to prove you are not a criminal over and over in this state is getting old. 

If this were done properly by the state the burden would be on the criminal to have a disqualifying identification on his/her state ID.

Just read this:

"A3676 also requires a privacy invading in-home inspection as a condition for issuance of an FID card"

Read more at Ammoland.com: http://www.ammoland..../#ixzz2QJkelcYR

New Jersey law provides that an FID card is void if the holder becomes subject to a “disability.” Accordingly, if these bills take effect, ALL persons already holding an FID card who have not had the home inspection, psychological evaluation, or provided the list of household members (and thereby overcome the “disabilities” imposed by the legislation) MUST TURN IN their Firearms ID card to the Police. The turn in must be done within 5 days by law or face prosecution for 4th Degree Crime (Felony -18 months prison time.)

Read more at Ammoland.com: http://www.ammoland..../#ixzz2QJli2zIK

this is of concern: "New Jersey law states that it is unlawful to purchase or possess a firearm without having first obtained a New Jersey Firearms Identification card."

so, does this bill really mean everyone will need a home inspection (A3676), or they must surrender the FID card and w/o the FID card they must surrender all firearms?

Christie ain't signing that!!!

question: do NJ DL holders have the option of having the fid endorsement placed on a "non-driver photo id".

if this would be possible, it would avoid being barred from many jobs due to them seeing that you are a gun owner.

Can you please STOP asking stupid questions on things you are trying to insinuate are laws that are not!

Thats a great idea.  But unfortunately it makes too much sense for NJ to do something like that. :banghead:

And what would be the difference if he saw your FPID card in your wallet?  Either way it doesn't establish probable cause.....maybe on some tv shows but not in the real world. 

So now you are an expert on pc...a cop might have reasonable suspicion but not probable cause. PC is a much higher standard. Easy with the paranoia

Yup thats the problem.  Too much misinformation gets spread based on peoples ill conceived perceptions.  On that end, I'm a firm believer that media plays a huge part in it.

So here is a big question, say you get your DL revoked for something.  You no longer have your FID card either?  WTF? 

Having to prove you are not a criminal over and over in this state is getting old. 

If this were done properly by the state the burden would be on the criminal to have a disqualifying identification on his/her state ID.

Bingo!  This, and as was posted earlier in the thread......Driving is a "privilege" (entitlement that can be taken) while lawful possesion of firearms is a constitutional "right" (guarantee) and there should never be anything that would blur the very clear line separating the two.  How does everyone feel about losing their FPID for having too many points on their license or not paying an insurance surcharge, etc? :suicide:

Thats a great idea.  But unfortunately it makes too much sense for NJ to do something like that. :banghead:

And what would be the difference if he saw your FPID card in your wallet?  Either way it doesn't establish probable cause.....maybe on some tv shows but not in the real world. 

Yup thats the problem.  Too much misinformation gets spread based on peoples ill conceived perceptions.  On that end, I'm a firm believer that media plays a huge part in it.

Bingo!  This, and as was posted earlier in the thread......Driving is a "privilege" (entitlement that can be taken) while lawful possesion of firearms is a constitutional "right" (guarantee) and there should never be anything that would blur the very clear line separating the two.  How does everyone feel about losing their FPID for having too many points on their license or not paying an insurance surcharge, etc? :suicide:

Well what I would love to see (which will never happen in NJ) would be some solidarity in the community to say enough is enough! What if they passed a law requiring everyone to get a five year permission slip to exercise their rights and no one applied? Do we somehow fail to have a constitutional right because we elected not to pay the state for a permission slip to exercise that right? It would truly be an emperor has no clothes moment, but like I said, it will never happen. The sheeple will fall in-line piss-bitching-and-moaning and take solace in the fact that they only had half of what's left of their rights taken away this time. I need to accelerate my plans to exit this shit-hole state.